Is there a device that...? (Need to monitor a gas stove.)

That sounds interesting.

Your correct, if your stove is working properly than there is no natural gas to detect, you only have the products of combustion (CO2 and water vapour). If your worried about the control knob on the burner being left on without the burner actually being lit, then that is a different story...

I'm starting to think that I may have a way to use a contact sensor w/the burner knobs. I've taken the front panel off a few times to make repairs, and I think there's room back there for a thin contact sensor like the Visonics I use. Strong magnet attached to the back of the knob and I could have the basis of some automations from the contact sensor. I'd know when the burner was on, could set a light to red, warn after x minutes, warn if no motion near the stove for x minutes.

Going to look into it tomorrow

1 Like

The thermocouple/thermopile idea would be the way to go in my opinion, but I would be put off by anything requiring an arduino. Is there any way the output of the Thermopile could be used with a transistor (basically an electronic switch) and a Zooz ZEN16 (or similar) to indicate burner status? Over my head, but maybe someone can take it and run with it. Of course, would still require a Thermopile installed on each burner.

Our maybe one of these with the ZEN16... mounted in the middle of the burners in direct contact with the surface of the stove...

They probably open on temperature rise, so you could use them with a motion sensor so know if the stove is on and "unattended."

@danabw
maybe use metal conductivity to add near the burners a solid metal tube (like copper) and put the temperature probe on the side (far) of the stove, connected with the tube ? I'm almost sure that when your burner is on, you'll see a temperature increase

I was thinking that exact thing. I have one and it has a miraculous (or irritating, depending) ability to simply turn itself off if a pan is not in contact with the burner for a number of seconds. No more forgotten burners!

LOL

S

1 Like

Hey now. Induction cooktops are NOT for hipsters. Why? Because if they are, then I'd have to be a Hipster, and I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Actually, I got it after doing some reading on how efficient they are, but was sold when we got one and hit the boost button on a pot with water in it, and boiled it in record time (seemed like 20 seconds, but it was certainly longer than that). Mostly a parlor trick, as boiling water in a pot in hyperspeed isn't all that useful generally. lol

S.

1 Like

"Mostly a parlor trick, as boiling water in a pot in hyperspeed isn't all that useful generally. lol"

I must disagree, and very vociferously!

I use my induction stovetop to boil water in my kettle for my coffee in the morning - absolutely essential!
Living without coffee?

2 Likes

Fair enough. I'm a Keurig user, so I pop the Pod the machine, pack my lunch, coffee's done, grab the coffee and go! I also have a british style Kettle we use for Tea. Lived over there for awhile, and just got used to having a Kettle. Now that you mention it though, I wonder if it would be quicker/more efficient to use the otherwise useless All-Clad kettle on the induction burner....hmmm scientific experiment! WOOT!

:slight_smile:

At the risk of derailing a very nice thread. i got one of these for the morning (and due to lockdowns for the most of the day). Couldn't live without it. I got it in 2005 and its been repaired twice but is going strong at almost 30,000 espressos dispensed (it has a tracker).

3 Likes

I'm getting a Jura soon (ish). I've been eyeballing one for several years, but I just haven't pulled the trigger!

Good Lord @par.botes, I keep seeing this thread and that picture, and now I'm really really itching to buy one....grrrrr

S

Boy, you should have seen me on my knees begging my wife for this the week after I was laid off (entire section's jobs sent overseas): :wink: "Honey, I need this for my damaged soul after the layoff!" :smiley:

Absolutely love it...my first step into more involved espresso makers.

1 Like

Massive thread derail! Sorry all!

I dont think my Mrs would fall for this, but that's certainly a great try, and clearly it succeeded.

Unfortunately, while I could buy one, the mess I'd make fumbling around at 04:45 would soon earn me many nights in the shed, in the cold, with no power and only the company of my Jura machine. Cold comfort.

I'm thinking that it'll be a few years yet...but im cleaning out a space on my bar in the basement....maybe I can convince her its just for weekend use! Lol

S

1 Like

Yeah, but a fun thread derail. I have found that anything I tell my wife will improve our network security is pretty much a done deal, no P.O. required, no review by executive committee (which for some reason only includes her). :wink: "Honey, it's about coffee network security!! Our Mr. Coffee is rampant with security holes, it still uses WEP for God's sake!!"

2 Likes

I've got two of these babies. My current one is a Jura J9. Like you, couldn't live without it. Only problem with these things is that the ground coffee tends to get inside the unit and eventually it can get moldy, but they're not built to be easily disassembled and cleaned. image

My first one was a C1000. Worked for close to 20 years before it got jammed up, and I got the J9. I eventually found a source for parts and repaired it and it's now up at my family's beach house in NJ.

Also had a Jura E9 that was given to my wife. I refurbished it and gave it to my sister-in-law, who is now addicted as well.

Logic rarely works in these situations. However, if you calculate the cost of one coffee per day over 10 years, the cost of the machine really is insignificant, so you might try that line of reasoning and see where it gets you.

And if you maintain them properly, you can easily get 10 years. My C1000 has got to be close to 25 years old now. I did have to replace the pump and a few parts, but it's still kicking. The one I refurbished for my sister-in-law has got to be well over 10 years old as well.

1 Like

You really should not be using an unsecured Mr. Coffee. Time to upgrade, perhaps? There's even a slide-out drawer at the top for your coffee mug.

4 Likes

Never seen that - hilarious!! :smiley: :smiley:

Hook this up on top of the light that comes on when the stove is on: