Is there a device that...? (Need to monitor a gas stove.)

Yeah, mine does not have that, unfortunately. The spark module will click ad infinitum, but the gas doesn't turn off if the burner doesn't light.

I think I'm just going to need to get a butler.

Wondering if there are gas flow detectors - if I got one added into our line I could maybe find a way to link that into HE.

Even if your stove had it, I wouldn't use them. I would leave the safety devices that came with the stove alone. I would just add my own automation stuff and keep the two systems separate.

1 Like

Yep, called a gas meter.

No simple way to do this...bummer.

If you don't want to touch your cooktop and you just want to go with an infrared sensor above your cooktop that is tied into hubitat. Do this:

If it was my project, I would figure out how to do it inside my cook top, simply cause I don't like visible sensors. Every single light switch in my home is tied into hubitat along with many other devices and nobody notices when they come over, the automations just happen. I can't stand the way most sensors look.

1 Like

my electric stove with glass cook top .. there are two options i think would work.. there is a light that comes one with hot suface warning.. i could wire up a dry relay to that and warn if on too long i suppose. or the entire cook surface conducts when even one burner is not.. i am thinking a temp sensor in the back corder on the surface where there is no direct burner contact would still work

1 Like

I used to have a webcam pointed at my stovetop because I once was at work and couldn't remember if I had turned off the stove after making breakfast before I left for the office.

I had to run home at lunch to check (13 mile drive).

I had turned it off.

This wasn't the only time I couldn't recall turning it off.

Getting old sucks.

I now have a smart range, oddly, I can turn off the ovens, but I can't turn off the burner. But at least I can see if it's on. Plus, it's an induction cooktop and will automatically turn itself off if no pan is on it, or after a period of time inactive.

1 Like

I think the arduino IR flame sensor should be good enough, a pot should radiate IR if the heat is on. I was thinking that they measured flame via UV which requires to see the flame, but IR just needs heat to be present.

I doubt i'd like to open up my cooktop and muck around inside it. Its italian and prone to break, it would be the end of automation if the ministry of homeland affairs determined i broke the stove.

2 Likes

The info at that link probably makes sense to you. :slight_smile: Combination of Greek and Klingon to me. :wink:

For instance, the show the temp sensor:

Then they show this

And I go "huh?" :wink: Where did that white board w/all the dots come from? What is that green thingy...assuming it's the sensor. Where do I get the wires... :smiley:

The white thing with the dots is called a proto-board and is used for mocking up electrical circuits. (over 30 yrs of being an EE, I've played with my share :grinning:)

Edit: Like this... https://smile.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Electronics-Potentiometer-tie-Points-Breadboard/dp/B01ERPEMAC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18JA2LXFQGIIO&dchild=1&keywords=protoboard+kit&qid=1607557639&sprefix=protoboard%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3

1 Like

I was thinking of something like this:

And hook up an output pin to a dry contact relay over to some zwave device to use as input.
maybe this one. i used this in my previous house: https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Magnets-Window-Sensor-DWZWAVE2-5-ECO/

I have a gas grill in a BBQ island. I bet this would work well for that use case too, ie determining if i forgot to turn off the grill.

This is worth experimenting with....

1 Like

As soon as it's done, I can provide a shipping address... :slight_smile:

The sensor is evidently fairly short range. My hood is a little over 4' above the pots, so maybd questionable?

Range: I have found this unit is mostly accurate up to about 3 feet.

I think putting it to the side is better (at least in my use case). If i can find some aesthetically pleasing way of mounting it from the rear maybe i'll do that.

Or maybe i should look for a better sensor. I found an amazing industrial sensor that does both IR and UV at up to 50ft and 45 degree angle. But it was $1,800 and i'm not going to spend that kind of money....

1 Like

All of this. Or just buy an induction hob and join the 21st Century :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Then I have to be a hipster and I'm not ready for growing a beard and being ironic yet... :grin:

2 Likes

What about those Zigbee Gas Sensors from Heiman?
Maybe they measure gas concentration?

Never heard of those...but if the gas cooktop is working properly, there won't be an accumulation of natural gas, will there? Or can these sense gasses caused by burning natural gas? Off to google... :slight_smile:

If anyone wants to try an arduino sensor and/or board, I would also consider using a CO2 sensor (not to be confused with a CO, carbon monoxide, sensor). Carbon dioxide and water vapour are the only two combustion products of natural gas. The CO2 concentration above a cook top that is on will be higher than the rest of the house. A quick online search will provide you with sensor options around the 10-20 dollar range.

1 Like