Is there a device that...? (Need to monitor a gas stove.)

Detects open flame? Or can read temperature of a spot, kind of like an IR temperature sensor? With a broad beam?

Here is my use case. We have a gas stove. Its happened a few times that something got left on the stove and it kept on running with no one nearby. Ie. we forgot to turn off the stove.

I'd like to build an automation that measures if there is higher temp on the stove than ambient in the room AND there is no motion in the room for lets say 15 minutes. I would then send an alert on my sonos or alexa devices saying "check the stove". I'd also make an cell phone notification alert if the presence detectors is noting that people are leaving the house to alert that the stove was left on.

Is there anything out there that can do this? I think it would be a neat thing, as long as each sensor is relatively small physically so they don't take up too much space near the stove.

any ideas on how to construct this?

Wow...I was going to post the same today. We've had several incidents of burners left on, and I was wondering the same - if there's a way to monitor this reliably. I haven't thought of anything other than a temp sensor near each burner (we have six) and that seems like it would be 1) Kind of ugly, and 2) Risky that the sensors themselves would melt when we're have a burner fired up all the way when boiling water.

I was also trying to think of something based on knob position, but I don't have anything small enough to work and not look incredibly ugly. Zero WAF on that.

Why not put a hue indoor motion sensor, or similar, above the stove, like on the bottom of the microwave oven (if you have one above the stove) or in the range hood? You could position/mask it to detect motion in only the immediate area and use the built-in temp sensor.

And the thing comes with a really strong magnet mount that is quite versatile.

how about just a temp sensor above the stove..if a certain amount warmer than surrounding one..

also will need to tweek so somthing cooking in the oven will not set it off, but i imagine a burner on will generate quite a bit more heat than the oven on.

Thanks!

I thought of that, but our biggest problem is a pan on very low simmer, like the flame is almost out - that's our most common error. That results in very little temp impact (or so it seems when I'm near the stove). The hood is about four+ feet above it so the sensor would be quite removed from the heat source and there is a lot of space for the warm air to disperse.

I'm going to give it a shot, though, no harm trying. I'll mount a temp sensor on the inside of the hood and see if it registers anything.

1 Like

aeon power probes would work on stove circuit but would not be able to differentiate the stove on versus a burner.. unless you are gas than that wont work

1 Like

There are multi-sensors that report IR. I have both an Aeotec and an Inovelli. Neither one is currently deployed and I don't remember which has it! :roll_eyes: Just Google them, and probably others, for the info.

2 Likes

Thanks, it's gas, so that wouldn't work for me.

That could be it...but requires line of sight, correct?

If the pot is larger than the burner area (pretty much always) would this still work? Or would I have to position the sensor to the side so it can see the burner under the pots?

How about a flame sensor on either side of stove attached to Arduino with a "deadman switch" (pun intended) that goes off if sensor detects flame for a specified amount of time or turns an RGBW bulb red whenever it detects flame?

I don't know how or if this would even work. I am just throwing it out there for people smarter than me. I am the "idea man" here.

1 Like

Oops, my bad. The unit(s) that I was talking about report UV, not IR. Would they detect anything on a stove? :man_shrugging:

Didn't even know that existed... :slight_smile:

Looks like I'd need a very detailed step-by-step to work that out.

Flame sensor is not a bad idea. Its IR sensitive so it has to be placed in a location with direct view of the flame as well as in a place where it won't be accidentilly covered by something (like a cooking towel). I am hesitant to put it on the stove directly since i could have a boilover and i worry about putting electronics this close to heat or liquids.

The idea of a heat sensor near the exhaust isn't bad. If a pot, even when simmering, goes dry the heat conducts through the pot to the metal in the pot and that should be detectable. My fear here is that when doing roiling boils, lets say for pasta's there is a high amount of steam evaporating and i worry it would hurt the sensor.

We did a demo of flame detection with Tensor Flow for our robotics class since we were on the topic of image detection. You will be amazed how much data can be extracted from a simple cell phone video feed. But putting this into device hander would be a nightmare.

You may want to look how furnaces use that simple "pin" that is on their burners for flame detection that is a very simple circuit. You may be able to mount them near the burners and connect them to a small circuit that measures the output.

How Does a Furnace Flame Sensor Work? | Hunker

52W29 - Lennox 52W29 - Flame Sensor Kit LB-74940A (supplyhouse.com)

1 Like

Why would it have to "see" the flame? Anything on the burner will also give off elevated IR when it heats up.

Just use your standard flame sensor that comes with any gas furnace.

Tie the electrical signal into an arduino board and use this app: [Release] HubDuino v1.1.7 - Hubitat to Arduino / ESP8266 / ESP32 / ThingShield Integration (ST_Anything) - Code Share - Hubitat

2 Likes

No that I'm sure that my wife would approve, even for safety purposes, six of these plus wires on the cooktop, but could I wire all six (or say I start with three) to one arduino board, or is it one board per sensor?

Another stopper is where I can run the wires and hide the arduino boards.

What I really need is a wireless solution.

I tried the temp sensor in the lower part of the hood w/a pot on at a very low heat, and there was no resulting temp change in the hood sensor compared to another sensor (same model) sitting nearby. So I don't think that's going to be sensitive enough. In fact (more airmovement above?) the hood sensor registered lower than the one on the counter.

Lol, you don't wire them on top of the cook top. You wire them underneath where the existing flame sensors are (if you have an electronic cook top). These come in several shapes and sizes. Find ones that would work with your particular stove. The arduino boards also come in all shapes and sizes and many are wifi. They can be powered or run off batteries. Run the wires from underneath the cook top to one arduino wifi board placed in an inconspicuous place and your done.

Probably wouldn't try a project like this if your not comfortable working on gas appliances. There really isn't much to adding a flame sensor, just don't mess with any existing safeties the cook top may have. I would keep the two systems completely separate.

On a gas cook top the knobs that control the flame do this by turning a valve. It is exceptionally rare for the cooktop to stay on if the knob (valve) has been shut-off. The cook top being on when it is not suppose to be on is almost always cause someone forgot to shut it off, not cause the knob/valve failed. As such, instead of a flame sensor, I would also check if I could modify my cook top to sense the off position of the knob (through an arduino board) and get the info like that.

On a side note, my Christmas holiday project is to use one ten dollar wifi arduino board to integrate: my water meter, my interconnect on my smoke detectors, and open/close sensors on six basement windows. I was hoping connecting all these devices would cost less than 5 dollars, but I am in Canada so it will cost me 10 dollars.

Thanks.

I have a gas cooktop, so in that case? And why would an electronic cooktop have a flame sensor - to react to fires? Or am I confused (again). :slight_smile:

They may or may not depending on the manufacturer. Typically when you turn on the knob from off to on the burner lights. Gas doesn't light by itself, it needs something to ignite it. This is usually accomplished by a spark that is produced when the knob is turned to the on position. If this spark fails, (and the device that produces this spark can fail), then you have the gas valve open with gas escaping but no flame. Usually considered a bad situation, so some stoves will check for a flame and if there is no flame shut off the gas. This safety is required in a furnace and many other gas appliances. Cook tops are a different story, some have it some don't.