Is there a device that...? (Need to monitor a gas stove.)

That Breville Oracle is the coffee maker I have (two of them, one silver in another property and one black here). Such a great machine!

I definitely think this thread is now perfectly derailed onto the more important subject of coffee :rofl:

2 Likes

I'm need one of these on my head so my family can tell when I get one of my great ideas. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Since the thread is pre-derailed, I suggest the next step is to purchase an actual kettle from the UK and run a 240v circuit to the kitchen for it, for truly hyper-speed water boiling.

(electrical inspector was ... surprised... when checking our kitchen remodel, but couldn't find anything wrong with it)

3 Likes

Also try searching the forum for "gas". Many related posts.

No way! You did this? Really? That's too funny. Did you use an L6-20 or something for the plug/socket?

I think it would be a close race between the All-Clad on the Induction and a British Kettle -- I suspect the Induction would win though. Would be an interesting addition to the experiment though. Not interesting enough to try to pull 240 to the kitchen, but still. LOL

S.

In all fairness. When I go into the "seriously considering buying one" phases, I use the $cost/cup argument, and she buy's right into it. Unfortunately to prep the field of battle, I have to ramp up my spending at $tarbucks and the like to "flesh out the dataset", and it's inconvenient enough that I just haven't done it yet!

The long life span is a very good argument too. My Keurigs tend to last 1.5-3 Years with daily use, so...there's a good fiscal argument.

Perhaps after Christmas....lol

S.

There are ways around these roadblocks.

Your current coffee maker is going to develop a "problem". You then have no choice but to have Delivery Dudes or Uber Eats or the like start showing up at your door with Starbucks coffee several times a day. You simply don't have the time to diagnose the problem right now and you need some coffee. Who could blame you?

Your dataset will quickly be populated with data favorable to your position, and you'll have that new coffee machine in no time.

3 Likes

You are truly evil. In a beautiful way.

:wink:

1 Like

Not really, I just live it through others. My wife never gives me a hard time about anything I want to buy.

Last spring I wanted to upgrade my drone. I planned out this whole speech about how I could sell my existing one on ebay and cover 90% of the cost, etc. etc. Which was all researched and true. Didn't even get to finish the speech; she said "do whatever you want honey".

I don't know what she sees in me, but I really am blessed, and in far more important ways than this

1 Like

Wow. Just wow. I have never had a discussion w/my wife like that.

You are truly lucky to be a resident of the Land of Oz. :wink:

1 Like

To give you an idea of who I live with.

We married and moved into our new (to us) home years ago. Both of us were excited to finally be homeowners. I visited the local Home Depot to purchase some basics, which included two hoses, one for the front, and one for the back.

As I was unloading my car my wife noticed I had two hoses, and within moments we were in what was to be a tense 10 minute "discussion" about whether we needed two hoses, why couldn't I just move one hose back and forth between the front and back of the house every time I needed one, and didn't I realize I was going to bankrupt the family with my profligate spending?! :wink: EEK!!! Who have I married!?!

She's mellowed considerably over the years, but we also had a number of recurring "discussions" about occassional ATM fees and other things like that. That's just who she is - she grew up low income after her family emigrated to the US in the 60's and father (former military officer) had to restart his career first as a gardener, then opened a small business. Those early years left an indelible mark on her financial perspective! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Home Depot/Lowes must be her least favorite stores then. As a homeowner, I've spent a significant percentage of my Salary in those stores over the years, and it always seems like I come out with my 2 hoses worth when I need 1.

S.

1 Like

I always make it a habit of buying two of anything... need to replace a toilet valve? Buy two. Need to replace a light bulb? Buy two. Need 6 machine screws to fix the espresso machine? Buy 7.

2 Likes

@brad5 & @scottgu3, it's people like you that make me look good (to her). I thank you.

:smiley:

(Actually, I do the same. If she every really takes a close look at the garage, I'm dead.)

1 Like

I had to go look at it to check. I didn't feel the need for a twist-lock in the kitchen so it's just a plain NEMA 6-15 (closest match to standard UK 13A socket). I actually brought a kettle from the uk when I moved here in mid-90's, the plastic eventually degraded so it got nasty, and I replaced it with a fancy Braun one from amazon UK.

Funnily enough we replaced our gas stove with induction this year and after some initial skepticism I agree it is awesome - I haven't tried a water boiling race yet but I think you're right that induction would probably win. The Bosch kettle is nice though; I can set it to to 90F for my french press...

1 Like

I might also mention - I wouldn't necessarily say this is 100% legit, since the UK kettle is designed to operate on 240V live to neutral, while this arrangement is providing 240v across two phases, which isn't quite the same thing. It works, and looking at the docking connectors from kettle to base I don't see any obvious risk, so it passes my comfort level, but still...!

1 Like

I require HA and Home Theater devices installed for "demonstration" purposes for my residential clients - also for "development".. fortunately my company (me) generously pays for these gizmos and geegaws which is nicely separated from our house finances :wink:

1 Like

The phrase "evil genius" does come to mind...

1 Like

At work I have this fancy voltage & frequency converter that generates single phase 240 50 Hz UK AC, but I think your solution is likely to have higher WAF, as the converter is the size of a smallish refrigerator, and makes a lot of noise! :slight_smile:

1 Like