Is it possible to have Alexa respond with a Hubitat Device Value?

Do you run Homebridge? All the temp sensors on HE will report via HomeKit by way of Homebridge. If you add this Alexa Homebridge plugin, it sounds like you can then access temperatures from HomeKit.

[Edit] Looks like the developer is inviting the world to send their HomeKit data through his dedicated https secured server here in Canada. My Spidey senses tell me NO. I personally would just look at HomeKit for the temp/humidity.

Here's a Xiaomi Temp/Humidity sensor in my bathroom via Homebridge/HomeKit. And of course, you can just ask Siri too. If you have a newer iOS device, you don't even have to press a button, since it's always listening.

1 Like

This might not be the most elegant solution but works for what i have setup already. This will allow you to ask Alexa a question and get a response from the Alexa you questioned.

I have built many custom Alexa queries.. (aka Skills) using AWS lambda, that was pretty straightforward. "Alexa, what is the pool water temperature?"

Setup a database that is accessible by AWS.
MS SQL Server(my pref), MySQL, etc...lots to pick from.

Install and configure Node Red on a local machine/device on your network linked to HE, pull sensor/device data from Hubitat web sockets and push into the database. This runs 24/7.

Now setup a web server to supply AWS with data from the database.

Using AWS, Creata a lamda utterance "Alexa, what is the temperature of the pool?"
AWS queries the temperature data from your webserver/database and Alexa responds.. "Dont even think about swimming.. the water is only 67 degrees"

Configuration of all this is the most difficult part, once done this could be expanded to address all kinds of data from HE from Alexa.

2 Likes

Amen Ryan....lol

@Ryan780 I can understand it sounds difficult if you have never done it, but I already did all the difficult work to figure it out. If anyone is interested, I am always happy to help.

@matt.klueppel

I've looked at a node-RED youtube tutorial and it look pretty straight forward. My question is about the websocket connection to Hubitat. I've read the HE documentation and found it to be beyond by current understanding. Could you give me a short description on how the websocket connection to Node-RED would be implemented?

Thanks
John

@matt.klueppel this looks very cool. I'd be interested in additional details to get this up and running.

This thread was very comprehensive. If you need further assistance PM me, and we can chat.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Is following technical instructions too hard for users?

Alexa definitely has the ability to receive temperatures from endpoints. In fact it has for well over a year if not almost 2.
It's all described in the Smart Home Skills api - https:// developer. amazon. com/docs/device-apis/alexa-temperaturesensor.html
It would be great if something like my SmartThings multi purpose sensors would send more than just contact open/closed to Alexa then I could voice query the temperature in any room where I have one installed.

Does Hubitat's Alexa App support the Alexa TemperatureSensor yet? If so, how do you query it on Alexa? Alexa responds to my temperature query that the sensor doesn't support it.

Not that I am aware of.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.