Is an ethernet connection required?

Yes. both are plugged into the same POE switch. It's a Mokerlink, not the ubiquity that was causing problems for some.

I will give both of these a try in the morning. At least with the C7 being able to connect I know something is working, now I just need to figure out why the c8 doesn't seem to want to work, and hopefully how to fix it.

As a test, is there any way you could simply bypass the Mokerlink managed switch? I assume that the PoE switch is plugged into your router, which hopefully has a few spare Ethernet ports on it. If so, use a 5V/1A USB-C power supply for the C-8, and then plug it directly into your router. This will at least remove any possibility that the Mokerlink managed switch is possibly misconfigured in a way that is blocking certain types of traffic.

BTW - I also use PoE splitters to power my C-8 and C-7 hubs. These are connected to a Ubiquiti UniFi switch and I have no issues. I 100% believe that others are having issues with this hardware combination, but I have not seen it personally affect my systems. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, @jtp10181 suggested that yesterday, I unplugged the POE connection, plugged it into the power strip, and connected the ethernet cable directly to the router. that made no difference.

I had heard previously there were issues with the ubiquity POE switches. Until this I never had any issues with the POE switch, but given that the result was the same connected directly to the router I'm not so sure it's the switch. Port maybe, but not the Switch as a whole, especially since the C7 is connected to the same switch and it did work. Unfortunately, None of my devices are on the C7 (meshed, yes, but actually paired to it, no). I'm starting to lean toward the idea this may be hub-related, but I will do some more testing this morning as you suggested last night.

1 Like

This does give me an idea. I will also try changing the port it's plugged into and see if that makes any difference.

1 Like

You could simply swap the C-7 and C-8 ports on the switch, and see if the problem moves with the port, or stays with the hub.

The issue is with poe adapters on the C8 and Unifi switches. It "can" apparently cause issues with z-wave

Just tried plugging the C8 in the the port where the C7 was (and was known to work) as well as tried plugging it in a previously unused (never been in use) port, and in both instances, it made no difference, the hub appears to be undiscoverable to HK.

I just tried adding a virtual switch to the C7 and it picked it up right away. Even though I had no luck with the C8, I went ahead and created the same type of virtual device on it, restarted the HK integration again, and still had no luck connecting to it. At this point, I'm beginning thing think this is a hub issue rather than an HK issue,

@bobbyD @gopher.ny Is there any way either of you could help me figure out if I have a hub/hardware problem? I have also sent a PM to @bobbyD Thanks!

1 Like

There is a significant HomeKit update coming in the next build.
In the meantime, which router do you have? There were reports of similar issue being resolved by adding a DHCP reservation for the hub on the router.
Also, if you PM me the hub id, I can try enabling extra logging on the hub and checking if there is a connection at all. But most likely, mDNS/Bonjour advertisement for the service is getting clobbered for some reason.
Since there is no existing Home setup for the C8, can you try the "Reset QR and pairing code" option in the Advanced section at the bottom of HomeKit integration page?

6 Likes