Is an ethernet connection required?

Reasonably new to Apple and Home kit, and trying to set this up for the first time. This is probably a dumb question, but is an ethernet-connected Apple TV required? I ask because I thought you could also use a home pod ( wireless). I have not been able to find the ethernet version of Apple TV (I Guess I could order it from Apple, but was trying to use my reward check from Costco). I figured since it could use Home Pod, the wifi version of Apple TV would work too. When I try to connect it I'm getting an error from Apple to make sure my Apple TV is connected to my router with an ethernet cable.

EDIT: The Documentation makes no mention of an ethernet connection as a requirement.

https://www.costco.com/apple-tv-4k-128gb-3rd-generation---wi-fi-%2B-ethernet.product.4000094111.html

It has been out of stock for at least a month (went to my warehouse and they could not even order one), it was also marked down to $114, which is why I settled on the (at the time) more expensive wifi version>

As long as the device you’re using as an apple HomeKit hub is connected to the LAN on the same subnet as your Hubitat hub, and there’s nothing preventing mDNS from working normally, then Hubitat doesn’t care how exactly your HomeKit hub (which could be an Apple TV or a HomePod mini) connects to the LAN.

1 Like

AS far as I know, I only have one subnet (not sure how to tell either). I have not set up any specifically and don't have VLANs. I even went in and manually reserved the IP for the Apple TV assigned by the DHCP server. The error coming back very specifically says it needs to be connected with an ethernet cable

Any appletv will do or any homepod/homepod mini will do as a homekit hub.

That's what I thought, but it is telling me it needs to be connected with an ethernet cable. With Hubivue shutting down, I was figuring to use this as the replacement.

It does not need an ethernet cable. Same lan segment sure, but wifi or ethernet is fine

As far as I know, I don't have multiple. How would I find that? and why is it specifically saying it needs an ethernet connection? mine doesn't even have an ethernet port.

Look in your router’s settings for the DHCP server details.

What is the subnet and subnet mask showing as?

Don’t know. Lazy programming on Apple’s part? It’s unlikely the WiFi-only Apple TV can’t be included in the Home App.

No idea. I promise you it's not needed though. Right now the primary hub is one of my mini's which is wifi

You would likely know as you would have to set that up. I assume your lan segment is something like 192.168.1.x

1 Like

Not always, I learned recently my mom’s eero router creates something other than a /24 network. It did that by default.

2 Likes

Fair enough.... is her old modem from the cable company on passthrough/bridge mode or being double natted?

2 Likes

They got changed over to fiber a couple years ago, so IIRC the eero’s getting the WAN IP from the ONT, no double NAT.

1 Like

Nope, I haven’t set anything up. It is in the same 192.168.50.x range with everything else, and the addresses assigned by the DHCP server reserved.

Both the router and Apple TV are the same 255.255.255.0

maybe this is something for @bobbyD ?

Then it doesn’t sound like a subnet issue.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but from the screenshots it looks like you’re having trouble adding your Apple TV into the Apple Home app on your iPhone. So this is an apple/iOS issue you’re having, right? i.e. Hubitat’s not involved (yet).

1 Like

I've tried iPhone and ipad. Both ways say it needs an ethernet connection, I.e connected by ethernet cable. Looking at Apple support seems to indicate wifi should works, but it seems to be looking for a wired connection Hnot currently available, won't be available until I run come cabling this fall. I'm inclined to think you are right, just hoping maybe hubitst themselves may have an idea.

No one using Homekit is using an ethernet connection (most don't anyway). I would reset your QR code in the integration then re add... You are using your camera on the QR code to add the integration right?>

1 Like

My Apple TV is using ethernet without issue and I use HomeKit also without issue.

2 Likes