Is an ethernet connection required?

Thats not what it means. I suspect you could de-register the ATV from your account and unplug it, and the error would be the same. The error is just a dumbed down apple error message to account for the most likely issue of the bridge not being discovered. The ATV is NOT a bridge, it acts a Home Hub (which is optional). The only Bridge is the HE Hub.

Did you try this?

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you're having trying to get Apple HomeKit up and running. Not sure if any of this will help or not, but I'll give you my high level process for setting up HomeKit. (NOTE: Read the very last paragraph before attempting this process!)

1. On your iPhone (signed into your iCloud account and connected to your home's WiFi), open the built-in Apple "Home" application. If it is the first time doing so, it may prompt you to create a "Home" and give it a name. (Note: The cool thing about Apple Home is that you could create a second 'Home' called something like "Vacation House" if you actually had a second home.)
  2. On your AppleTV, make sure you're signed in with the exact same Apple ID as you use on your iPhone for iCloud. Then, navigate through the AppleTV's Settings and find the "HomeKit" section. Make sure that you enable this AppleTV to act as a HomeKit "Hub"
  3. Go back into your iPhone's Apple Home app, click the circle with three dots in it (top right corner) and then click "Home Settings". Scroll down a little and open the "Home Hubs and Bridges" section. In the "HOME HUBS" section, you should see your AppleTV device showing up in this list at this time. If not, stop and start troubleshooting. If your AppleTV shows up in the list with the word "Connected" underneath its name, you're good to go.
  4. At this point, you should have a fully function Apple Home created with an AppleTV acting as your "Home Hub". The Home Hub is used to allow for remote access to your home when away from the house. It also performs any Apple Home Automations that you create, so that these will run whether or not your iPhone is home or not. To handle the remote access functionality, Apple uses their iCloud infrastructure. Thus, it is important that your iPhone and AppleTV are both signed into the same iCloud account, using the same AppIe ID (username.)
  5. Assuming you've made it this far, the next step would be to try to add an 'Accessory' using the Apple Home app on your iPhone. Click the "+" symbol in the top right corner of the Apple Home application, then click Add Accessory, and then scan the QR code from the Hubitat HomeKit integration.

In fact, you should be able to actually Scan the Hubitat Hub QR code BEFORE you add the AppleTV as a "Home Hub" to the system. The Home Hub is NOT required to add an accessory, IIRC. It is only needed to run HomeKit automations and to allow for remote access when away from home. Thus, try adding Hubitat first to see if you get the exact same message about connecting the device to your home network. If so, you will at least know 100% that it has nothing to do with the AppleTV. Another thing to try is turning off your cellular data connection, to force your iPhone to use your home WiFi network. If the iPhone is not using your home network for some reason, then it will never be able to 'see' the Hubitat hub.

I hadn't, I was trying to figure out how to do it with the power supply issues (Hence why I'm using POE. I just figured it out, and no, still won't connect, still same error about making sure the ethernet cable is connected.

A few more things to check...

1. Make sure your Hubitat hub is using DHCP for its network configuration. If you've inadvertently made a mistake in setting up a hub-side static IP address, it could cause connectivity issues on your home network.
  2. Look in your Hubitat hub's Settings->Hub Details and take note of the hub's IP Address. Please share it here as there is nothing personal about a private IP address.
  3. On your iPhone, please go into the WiFi settings, then click the active connection's info button (circle with an 'i' in it). What are the IP settings shown there, including the Subnet Mask. This will help us to understand how your home network is configured.

If your Subnet Mask is anything other than 255.255.255.0, that could explain the issue. Hubitat is expecting 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask. If your router's DHCP server is serving up a larger network space, then it might cause issues with the two devices communicating.

Yes, signed in with the same Apple ID, as a matter of fact, I used the same phone to initially set it up.
Is this under AirPlay and Home Kit (the only mention of home in the settings)? This is not even an option in my settings. Just setting up a room, with No mention of HUB at all.

You could try hitting the HK port from a command line / terminal windows on your PC

Just fill in for your Hubs IP:
curl -v http://192.168.X.X:21063/accessories

This thread he is using a Linux command prompt with an additional command but I tested with just the curl from windows and it worked on my Homebridge setup, should work on HE:HK also.

Here is my output:

2 Likes

You can check if the ATV is a home Hub under:
Home App > ... menu > Home Settings > Home Hubs and Bridges

But, you do not even need to have a Home Hub to add the HE bridge to Apple Home. You only need the home hub for more reliable control and remote (outside of LAN) control.

1 Like

Ahh, you're correct. Looks like Apple removed this option with the "New Home Architecture". I just upgraded my Apple Home to the new architecture a few days ago, and now the option to choose whether or not the device can be a "Home Hub" has disappeared from my AppleTV devices.

1 Like

Here is what I got

Home Hubs and Bridges are not even an option, and setting it as a hub in the Settings on the ATV is also not an option. I'm starting to think maybe Apple made a change they didn't tell anyone about.

Well, at least I don't feel like I am totally insane!!

1 Like

Are you saying that you don’t even see this section on your iPhone, in the Apple Home app’s Settings?

2 Likes

Going back to the above set of questions... We now know your Hubitat hub is using 192.168.50.220 for its IP address on your home network (from your curl output above.)

What is your iPhone using for its IP address on your home WiFi?

2 Likes

nope

I suspect the ATV has not registered itself as a Home Hub yet because you have no bridge devices, and thus no devices to control and no need for a Home Hub.

I am currently figuring out a way to scan the LAN for the mDNS packets, so you can verify the Hub is broadcasting them.

Is you PC on the same Wifi as your mobile? That would be the best way to test it.

2 Likes

According to my router and phone 192.168.50.21. ATV is 192.168.50.170

The subnet on all three is 255.255.255.0.

I'm getting to a point where I need to get some sleep before I go to work tonight. I'm going to have to dig into this a bit deeper tomorrow.

1 Like

Isn't that a bit of a catch-22, can't add the bridge to begin with?

Yes. Everything is on the same Wi-Fi or connected via the POE switch to the same router. The PC Is on the Wi-Fi.

Found something to check for the mDNS: zeroconfServiceBrowser | Tobias Erichsen

I installed this software and fired it up. Straight away it found all sorts of stuff. I added the HK app to my dev hub and that showed up as well.

Just select the "HAP" service at the top.

You don't need to have a Home Hub in order to add a bridge device. You could deregister the ATV and unplug it, should still be able to add the bridge device.

All it found was a TV , not the Apple TV. 1 of 2 LG's

Went through all the services listed, habitat didn't show in any of them.

It should find the Hubitat HK bridge, like as I have shown. Also it did find my HomePod as well, so it should probably be able to see your ATV.

Definitely pointing to some sort of networking problem IMO.

You could try clicking the "Restart Integration" link at the bottom of the HK app in HE, while that tool is running. If it still doesn't show up then :person_shrugging:

EDIT: Just realized my image above is showing my Homebridge Hubitat integration. Here is my actual HE Hub integration I just setup:

You can see the port is the same one we queried before. And you can reach that port, but if the mDNS is not being discovered then somehow JUST that is being blocked (or not forwarded by the router). I can dig around and see if I find anything on the ASUS side that could be causing it (while you sleep).

2 Likes