Is 2 seconds too slow?

Which hub model and which motion sensor?
(If I had to wager, I would guess... C7 hub? and a battery sensor that is joined with S0 security? )

Hi Tony, yep it's a C7 hub and it was a battery one with S0... both correct.

I did indeed have the Philips Hue motion sensors (one indoor which worked actually quite well & fast!) and one outdoor one. The outdoor one was super-sensitive but I have to admit I tried them with the hue bridge and struggled to configure them properly and at the time I was trying them more in a sense to integrate them into homekit and didn't have the hubitat yet.

Is it worth getting them again.. as in.. are they easy to pair with hubitat & without the hue bridge inbetween and -is- the sensitivity adjustable?

Phillips are compatible and adjustable on HE via the driver. Outdoor is fast, indoor I feel is a bit slow.

These Tuya are compatible and I’m told decent (I don’t have one). They are also available from Aliexpress for less if you don’t mind buying from them and waiting.

If you have HomeKit/Homebridge, then the Xiaomi are inexpensive, small and respectably fast with a Xiaomi HomeKit gateway. They are faster when direct joined, but they need compatibile repeaters and will tend fall off HE if everything isn’t perfect. They are solid when joined to a ConBee2 Zigbee gateway and bridged back, but that is a lot of effort for one sensor. If you are going to use multiple sensors (their contact sensors are great too) I feel it is worth the effort to bridge them. Not everyone agrees.

The older Iris, Sylvania, Centralite, and Samsung were all made by Centralite. Those are very sensitive, very fast, and rock solid on the hub. If you can find used for a good price, they are worthwhile. Just steer clear of v1 Iris. The Centralite made sensors downside is most use a CR2 battery, but it lasts ( at least in my Sylvania version) for about two years with heavy activity.

The Sonoff SNZB-03 are decent little sensors. I personally think functionally they are on par with the now discontinued Samsung SmartThings motion sensors (Made by Samjin). But they have weak Zigbee range, and many have commented they had to mess with the battery contacts to get them to work properly. They’re not attractive, and the design is questionable.

Top shelf sensors are NYCE. Expensive sensors, but worthwhile.

Lutron Caséta sensors are among the best, but they need to control Caséta devices. If you have the Smart Bridge Pro (worth it just for the Picos), then you can fake a device so you don’t need their Lutron device plugged in. But obviously that’s expensive and silly if you’re not using other Lutron devices.

Just an FYI - I noticed that Home Assistant's recently upgraded Lutron Caseta Integration actually does support the Caseta Motion sensors, in addition to Pico remotes, dimmers, switches, and fan controllers. I tested it and it seems to work pretty well, although I am not sure if it is quicker than my trusty Iris 3326-L Zigbee motion sensors.

2 Likes

That's interesting. Are there limitations on the Pico integration vs what we have here?

The Pico integration does require a SmartBridge Pro (or RadioRA 2). The pico remotes only fire pushed and released events, IIRC. There is no built-in support for 'held'. You could build it into an HA automation, I suppose...

1 Like

Yeah. The original Centralite motion sensors are top notch.

Whoa! That is nice!

1 Like

That's a non-starter for me right there. Half of mine use held events. I wouldn't want to build a bunch of automations to add that back in.

1 Like