Is 2 seconds too slow?

Okay - so here's one thing that might speed it up.

In place of testing for 2 conditions, specifically:

Dimmer level of Pot lights is < 25 OR Ensuite Pot lights is off

Why not test for just one condtion:

NOT Dimmer level of Pot lights is 100

This will address your concern about the lights being turned on manually (100) and reduce the number of conditions being tested.

3 Likes

You could try changing the duration from 1 to 0 and see if that helps. For my motion automations, I set the dimming duration to zero since I’ve specified the dimmer level I want in the ML rule.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.

I did that, and it makes for a cleaner Rule (which is great) but unfortunately it didn't speed it up. I did send a note to Support so I look forward to what they have to say as well.

Here is the screenshot of the log.

You see the DIM is started at 14:328 while the contact was closed at 12:656. Still almost 2 seconds.

Hopefully Hubitat Support (@bobbyD) will get back to you soon. It should not take ~1 second for RM to see the change in the contact sensor and start the actions.

Have you tried using the built-in Simple Lighting App to see if it triggers quicker than RM? I know Simple Lighting probably does not meet the requirements for what you're attempting, but it may be interesting to see if it performs any differently. You can disable the RM rule without deleting it, and then try Simple Lighting.

I use a combination of Simple Lighting, Motion Lighting, and Rule Machine to handle my lighting automations. They all react within 500ms or less. I use Zigbee Motion and Contact sensors, along with Caseta Switches and Dimmers. So, the platform is more than capable of achieving very good results. Something seems to be bogging your hub down. Have you performed a Soft Reset on it recently? This process can help clean up the hub's internal database and improve performance without loss of any data or configuration. Just be sure to have an offline backup of the hub's database stored for safe-keeping. (And please do NOT perform a full reset, as that is the 'nuclear option').

2 Likes

k, whenever someone asks me if I have performed a Soft Reset and it ISN'T the first thing I tried, I get a little embarrassed.

The soft reset has dramatically improved the lag time. I am now down to 500ms.

I'll monitor this and see if it stays that way.

BTW, this was under RM, not Simple Lighting. I also use SL for many tasks, but this one required a little more horsepower than SL could provide.

4 Likes

Excellent! Glad to hear that the Soft Reset improved performance.

2 Likes

I'm glad your issue is, at least mostly, resolved. But I've been watching this topic and was looking forward to the comparison that @ogiewon suggested:

He's not saying to replace your rule, but to create a SL in parallel with it just to see the timing difference and then delete the SL. No problem if you don't want to bother. :wink:

2 Likes

Hello everyone Support just looked at my logs and it turns out that I have some Stranded Devices. In the process of trying to sort that out. It appears that the problem is stemming from there.

Will get back to the other items when that one is rectified. One thing at a time. :slight_smile:

If anyone has some great tips for tracing Stranded Devices, I'm all ears. I think I've found a Zigbee Thermostat that appears to be doing it's own thing, but still looking for the other 2.

Cheers,

4 Likes

:joy: :joy:

1 Like

What!?! did you leave them in the gas station bathroom?? oh wait that was me as a child and my parents driving off... nevermind.

1 Like

It's been the story of my life with these Stelpro Maestro's. I really wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I had to read the email twice. I had no idea what a stranded device was. Still sort of don't. Looking for ways to identify and remove.

I have 6 of the Z-Wave StelPro and they work fine for me. No experience with the Maestro (Zigbee) though....

1 Like

I was going to ask if support provided any information on how "stranded" devices were determined, and what they might be. If you can determine there are stranded devices I would think that would also provide some inclination of what device at the least something.

Would be nice to know how such a determination was made, what was looked at etc.

2 Likes

Yes support provided some info. It involves taking the batteries/power out of the stranded devices to remove them from the network.

The problem I have is identifying those devices. So far, all known Zigbee devices in my house are on the Hub and have device handlers.

While there are a few culprits that I suspect, I do not know how to verify their status. (support showed me a log of the devices, but I do not know how to replicate that log, still waiting on info).

Here is a copy of the log that support showed me;
2020-04-14 17:09:02.242 [zbRcvPool-thread-03] WARN com.hubitat.zigbee.MessageParser - no device handler for zigbee device with 64 bit address:null or 16 bit address: 0068
2020-04-14 17:09:41.838 [zbRcvPool-thread-02] WARN com.hubitat.zigbee.MessageParser - no device handler for zigbee device with 64 bit address:null or 16 bit address: 177E
2020-04-14 17:12:56.773 [zbRcvPool-thread-01] WARN com.hubitat.zigbee.MessageParser - no device handler for zigbee device with 64 bit address:null or 16 bit address: FA12

You can see three devices without device handlers.

Recently, I have been seeing this WARN show up as well; (this device is an Iris 3210-L)
dev:1632020-04-15 11:04:56.364 warnDID NOT PARSE MESSAGE for description : catchall: 0000 8038 00 00 0040 00 3A01 00 00 0000 00 00 000000F8FF071B000C0010A9ADACA7D7ADB8C4C9D2C1AFAEB0A9B9

Not sure if these two things are related.

Hopefully I learn something here about Zigbee and that I can pass that along to the rest of you, but for now, I am deferring to the experts on here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you recommend a good zwave motion sensor? I’d love to find something that’s more reliable than the zigbee ones I have. Thanks!

It's been a year for this thread but I am having the same 'delay' issue with a (Zooz) Z-Wave Motion Sensor and a Caseta Lutron + Hubitat combo feeling super slow after walking into the motion sensor's 'view' and the light turning on using the Hubitat's Motion Lighting App, but looking into the logs it appears there was no real delay (just 250ms-350ms) between the Z-Wave motion sensor registering the motion and the Lutron light going on... so I assume it was simply just the motion sensor being slow to register and sending the notification. I basically walked into the room where the motion sensor was mounted full frontal to the door and it took 2-3 seconds for the light to turn on.

Long story short: is there any Z-Wave motion sensor that you'd recommend and/or any Zigbee one that is fast and reliable in a simple residential basement?

Thanks!
-Jörg

Zigbee motion sensors are almost always faster to respond. Where are you located in the world? This will help with appropriate recommendations for what brands are readily available to you.

1 Like

I'm in the US... East Coast to be a bit more precise. Thanks for any hints/suggestions.. much appreciated! -J

As stated above, Zigbee motion sensors are usually faster to respond than Z-wave.

I like the Philips Hue motion sensors.
They can be paired directly to Hubitat and are highly configurable.