Is 2 seconds too slow?

Just wondering what the experience is for people using a combo of Zwave and Caseta.

I'm seeing times of 2 seconds to activate scenes. You'll notice int he screenshot, Ensuite Door Closed, which activates Ensuite lights can take up to 2 seconds, and rarely is it faster.

Any advice on how I can speed that up?Ensuite

Cheers,

dev:342020-04-13 18:52:31.593 inforcvd: OUTPUT,12,1,1.00

dev:252020-04-13 18:52:31.547 infoEnsuite Pot lights was turned on

dev:342020-04-13 18:52:31.357 inforcvd: OUTPUT,12,1,1.00

dev:252020-04-13 18:52:31.309 infoEnsuite Pot lights was set to 1% with a duration of 1

dev:1292020-04-13 18:52:29.380 infoEnsuite Door contact is closed

That is WAY too slow.

1 Like

Maybe. In my experience, most Zwave sensors are pretty slow relative to most Zigbee sensors. There are exceptions of course.

I have never timed it, but with Zigbee, my lights are almost instant upon motion or contact. I would say sub one second if I were to guess. With a similar Zwave sensor it was much laggier, maybe approaching 2 seconds.

2 Likes

I agree with @jeubanks - 2 seconds is WAY too slow.

Which particular z-wave sensor is this? I have millisecond responses from GoControl z-wave contact sensors and Dome/Fibaro z-wave+ motion sensors.

2 Likes

No. I will completely agree that most z-wave "motion sensors" are slower than most Zigbee motion sensors. This is accurate. There are a handful of z-wave motion sensors that are just as fast as zigbee.

This is about a door sensor / contact sensor. I've noticed little to no speed difference with these compared to zigbee.

I run z-wave door sensors and a RR2 setup and my lights coming on or going off based on the door sensor is instant. Literally door is closed switch is on there is ZERO delay.

If you are seeing the event in the log and the next event two seconds later it isnโ€™t about sensor lag. We are past that at the point it is getting logged.

2 Likes

Here's the logs for my Kitchen Tube (Caseta switch) being turned on when the Kitchen motion sensor detects motion. This motion sensor is a z-wave+ sensor. The time from motion being detected to the light being turned on is ~125 ms.

Untitled

I'm don't have debug logging turned on - so you don't see the caseta debug output ...

@lairdknox is correct. Something else is awry. Could you post the rule you use for contact sensor triggered lighting?

2 Likes

Here is the rule. I have that <25 to test to see if the light has been manually switched on to 100%.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: A few, security focused, extreme battery life, sensors have given people the impression that z-wave sensors are slow.. This is not the tech.. It is a manufacturer design choice

3 Likes

Yeah and those "pet friendly" sensors that wait for more than one "blip" before they do anything.

3 Likes

Anyone see any red flags with this rule as it is written?

Seems fine to me. There is an extra action which should be able to be removed at the end of the rule. Since issuing the "Dim: Ensuite Pot Lights: 1" action will turn on the light if it is off, you should be able to remove the "On: Ensuite Pot Lights" action.

1 Like

If the rule is ok, what else could be causing the slow reaction within Hubitat? Is there a log I can post beyond what I've shown?

Thanks,

You should contact support@hubitat.com - this is an unusually slow response time. While I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with your rule, it suggests that there are other things slowing down your hubitat.

Tagging @bobbyD

1 Like

You should be able to turn on debug logging for the Rule. That might help diagnose where the time is being spent. The logs you posted are only showing the 'descriptiveTex' logging from the two devices. Having the app log its actions would be helpful.

2 Likes

Cโ€™mon now... this is totally off-topic. :wink:

Please donโ€™t derail this thread. How about starting a new thread instead so @philippompili can get the focused help that was requested.

Thanks.

4 Likes

You are right of course so apologies to everyone especially @philippompili.. did not want to create a whole new thread for a quick question that may or may not be useful to some - just lazy I guess. Will PM instead...

4 Likes

IME, dim to zero is slower than just turning off, it may have to do with the light type, how the driver is setup...

I only dim to turn on and I expect some slight delay over std switch lights that just turn on... but the delay is no where near 2 seconds

YMMV

Here is a screenshot of the logs for the Rule.

Looks like a 1 second lag from the contact being read as closed and the rule starting.

I'll send this to Hubitat Support, of course, but if anyone else wants to jump in with thoughts, please feel free.

2 Likes

His logs suggest the command is slow to execute in the hub, not the actual time for the light to turn on/off. Depending on the bulb, some lights can only dim to 40%, so while ramping up from 0 will cause an additional delay to the eyes since the light only turns on at 40%. This may be part of the perception of slowness, but the fact is the hub is still taking 2s before it even starts the dim process.

I'll echo the above. Reach out to support. I had a recent slowdown, even worse since I'd have some commands taking almost a minute to fire, and Bobby was great at helping me get it straightened out.