Iris vs Xiaomi Motion Sensors

One more question:

Can the sensitivity be adjusted on the Iris V2? I currently have a GE/Jasco motion sensor, and had to tune that down for the pets/cats in the house.

No. Here is a shot of the driver page.

I can tell you that these things seem to detect a fly itching it's A$$ at 20 feet.

1 Like

Ok, I bought the ones you linked.

1 Like

Found another post by Mike Maxwell - he mounts a small tube over the PIR sensor thereby reducing the angle of detection (spot focusing) whihc should work . . .

3 Likes

I’ve been running rechargeable CR123a batteries in my Ecolink motion sensors since April and they are still showing 99 or 100%. I’m also using CR2032s but those haven’t been in use as long yet.

1 Like

The v2 are solid, I bought some alarm magnets from amazon.

I have removed all of my V1 Iris contact sensors and use the V2 version now. Reason is/was simple, the V1 devices don’t join through a repeater as they use the special V1 Iris protocol. It’s not as bad during the initial install when you can join them close to the hub. But once installed and you need to rejoin (for whatever reason) it is is a PIA. The V2 use standard Zigbee and can join through a repeater in place.

2 Likes

Those are v3, but most of those work pretty well too (I've just never used the contact sensors). :slight_smile:

You people are a bad influence. I just picked up 30 sensors for $126. :crazy_face:

I think I have enough to cover the house. Any suggestions on the best way to attach one to a cat?

2 Likes

Agreed! I will need one more (shortly) and bought 20.

2 Likes

Get one of these

Van Ness - Enclosed Sifting Litter Box with Odor Control, Scoop-Free Maintenance, Replaceable Air Filter, Stain Resistant, FDA Approved Plastic, for Large Cats/Multiple Cat Household (Extra-Giant) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LUL4L2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1TX4DbD5G4CW6)

Put a sensor on the door. Create a rule the notifies you to change the litter after X number of times that the sensor is triggered.

1 Like

I figured I would put in an offer at $42 each. I hoped the larger quantity would make a deal and it worked. :blush:

I only have three main rooms that I want to cover. If I add both garages I still will be hard pressed to use 20.

I won’t use them outside as they Are too sensitive. I’ll stick with the Ecolinks there.

I was thinking more along the lines of glueing it to the cat.

It’ll just get licked off eventually.

1 Like

I bought this:

20 for $72 shipped ($3.60 per sensor). They also have a 40 pack option, but it worked out to $3.75 per sensor.

You may be disappointed with the v1 sensors. They do not route through repeaters, so all have to be within range of the hub.

@SmartHomePrimer Ah ■■■■. Wish I had known that. Is it just joining? Or will they never route though a repater?

1 Like

Yeah... I read that after the purchase had already shipped.

1 Like