Iris vs Xiaomi Motion Sensors

I know that a lot of people love the Xiaomi motion sensors. I recently retired about 10 of them from my environment. Although they were working well, I decided to move on to Iris as I had some serious mesh issues going on. We wont pull that band-aid off again. Anywho - I just wanted to communicate the differences I've noticed comparatively.

I use a LOT of motion in my environment. I like them to keep the lights on when they need to be and immediately off when they don't. I have sensors in my environment based on my expectations. And my expectations are reasonable. That being said, here are my comparisons.

I have a motion sensor on my desk. Xiaomi kept my lights on about 85% of the time. I had to make sure that I kept moving or my den lights would turn off. This happened maybe once an hour. That, in turn, would turn off my living room lights. Grr. So, now, I have to get up and walk into the living room to trigger them or pull up a dashboard and turn them back on as they stay on because I'm in my office. I don't like the lights to remain on for more than 2 minutes after motion stops. I know that's picky and quite the expectation, but it's what I like. I haven't had any issues with lights turning off after switching to Iris. I have to sensors in my office. One on the wall to monitor my work bench and the other at my desk watching my hands. Working at my bench had been a constant fight to keep lights on. Now, it's not even a concern. Literally.

In my kitchen and dining with the Xiaomi motions, I had to us a button that kept my lights on when we were in there. I have 4 motions and one multisensor 6 to cover the room appropriately. That should be plenty. Then, we had to remember to turn it off when we were done. This goes against my promise to my husband to NOT have to do anything extra to keep a light on. (song and dance, button press) Since moving over to the Iris motions, we haven't used the button once. There are more examples, but those are the big ones since we use those rooms the most and are most noticeable.

My conclusion is that, although the Xiaomis were small, receptive, and mostly reliable, I feel like the Iris sensors have surpassed them in performance. I fee like Iris have better range and would detect a fly itching it's leg at 20 feet. It's just such a noticeable improvement to my environment.

So, If you're considering motion sensors, I'm not discouraging any decision you're making, I'm just sharing my experience. I really liked the Xiaomis. But, I like the Iris motions better. I have 16 iris, 3 aeotec multis, and 2 gocontrol pir motions in off areas.

6 Likes

I don't mind the Xiaomi sensors but got rid of mine because I didn't want to deal with the Zigbee non-standard-ness that causes some problems with their behavior. Most of my sensors are also Iris v2 sensors. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in performance between the two, but I don't have quite as many per room/area (and probably in general) as you do, so that is good to know!

I can say that I'm even more impressed by Lutron's occupancy (motion) sensors. I upgraded from Caséta to RA2 by finding a used RA2 Main Repeater on eBay (a lot cheaper than buying new--technically only available through "professional" channels anyway--if you find the right deal) and moving all my Pico remotes (all I had there) and adding these occupancy sensors. I'm someone unusual in that I have no Lutron switches/dimmers, so I didn't have to worry about Caséta devices not working on RA2 and forking out even more money to "upgrade"/switch over those. :slight_smile:

Anyway, the Lutron sensor will catch me even if I'm just sitting at my desk typing--like right now--which no other sensor I've used could do. (I also put one in my bathroom and like it, but that's such a small room I had to sticker over part of the lens, otherwise when winter rolled around this year I discovered that when my furnace is running, it "sees" hot air coming out of the registers as motion, probably due to an IR sensor; it's otherwise quite good with false positives. This was the case no matter which of the three sensitivity levels I configured on it.) They are a tad slower to register initial motion compared to Iris (and most other Zigbee sensors I've used), but they're not Z-Wave level. I still use them mostly as "keep on" and not "turn on" sensors for both of these reasons, mostly the latter.

tl;dr Lutron sensors are great great too but you need a full (non-Select) RA2 system or greater to use them on Hubitat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@april.brandt, I could have almost written that myself. I've recently swapped out all my Xiaomi sensors for Iris. Bought them on eBay and had them shipped over the pond. I wish I'd have done this a long time ago. I'm finding them really solid.

I've also been able to cut down the duration of time the motion sensors have to stay active, cutting more cost hopefully :wink: And I really dont miss the "oh f*&^%g hell" coming from a room when the lights went out due to not picking up movement (from the Mrs). I also tested one where I sat still, whilst watching the logging to see at what point it registered movement, all I did was tilt my head slightly, and that was picked up from the top corner of a wall. Amazing :smiley:

I do love them!! Now I'm on the search for contacts which will stay connected :+1:

1 Like

I concur the Iris v2's are more sensitive than the Xiaomi's. The problem in my setup is that they keep disconnecting or get stuck 'active'. Whereas the Xiaomi's have been rock solid. Appreciate this is the exact opposite of most people's experience but it is strangely true. The only possible explanation I can think would be my gledopto zigbee lights working well with the Xiaomi's but not the Iris sensors. I have a bag of 20 Iris v2's just sat there looking dejected and sulky, so I guess I should. I do prefer the look of the Xiaomi sensor. In my opinion, it looks more modern.

1 Like

I got all of @april.brandt's Xiaomi motion sensors. All I can say is that they are way faster than the GoControl ones I used before. I'm concerned about stability, but all my Xiaomi stuff is on a Hubitat by themselves. So far, nothings fallen off ....

4 Likes

If anyone is throwing their Xiaomi's out, please consider me your ideal charity case lol :smile: Although the postage to Asia may work out too much for my wallet :smile:

While I don’t disagree that the Iris ( Centralite) have better sensitivity and range, I will say that given enough of them, the Xiaomi work quite well. I have a small galley-style kitchen and two Aqara motion sensors cover it. Late at night, my under cabinet lighting turns on while there's motion and off after a minute. If I pause to read my phone, they will turn off, but the moment I move, they're on again. I think it's really about the numbers when you're in large spaces. Consider the target Chinese market. Most will live in a modestly sized apartment where just a few sensors will do the job.

The sensors when paired to their Gateway are rock solid. They just really weren't designed to work any other way. The fact that we can make them work directly with the HE hub, doesn't mean they're deficient when they don't work as expected outside of the design parameters. I admire the engineering of Shenzhen Green Rice Lianchuang Technology Co., Ltd and respect that they designed a product to fit their market, and their needs.

1 Like

I have one on my desk and I did the same test, but mine reacted to me taking a deep breath. Another time, a slight movement with me pinkie. The other sensor for my workbench catches me walking in the door immediately and keeps active at the slightest movements too. I don't set delays on most of these sensors. I do in the kitchen, but no more than 2 minutes. It's been rock solid.

I went a bit out of the box with my contact sensors and all of them are the gocontrol zwave sensors. I've never had any trouble with them. I'd like to assume that my zwave mesh is stable as my lock in the garage is zwave and is doing ok. All of my switches are zwave and zwave plus switches. I have 36 zwave devices. All switches and contact sensors. I like that thy have the ability to use a prebuilt external contact. Makes them versatile. I used them for my Qi phone chargers.

1 Like

We're a bit stuck on "cheap" z-wave devices across the pond. Looks like I'll be looking at the US again for those :wink:

1 Like

I 100% agree with you. And I loved them too. The decision to retire them was not an easy one. it was made the same time I retired my Cree bulbs. (band-aid rip) After all of that trouble, I decided that it was a good idea to stick with what is 100%. I like to tinker, yes, but I like to tinker with things on my workbench or in the kitchen. And it gets frustrating when the light won't stay on while I'm in tinker mode. Home automation mode is slowing down a bit for me. I just want to build something stable and solid. But I did like the xiaomis. I never denied that.

4 Likes

Of course. You're a thinker. I have no doubts your decision (a good one for you) was well considered. :wink:

1 Like

I think it's safe to say that it was definitely out of frustration. No thought put into that one at all. We had a poltergeist around here for about a week! Funny, but HAF was definitely waiving. :grin:

[EDIT]
Let me just reiterate that the Xiaomi's never gave me any trouble. So, my decision was more of a "girl fit" than educated.

But I have to admit when I put them up for grabs, I definitely thought about keeping a few around.

Well you're one of the lucky ones. I did have them begin to drop and I'm in a small house. The decision to buy an Aqara HomeKit Gateway had nothing to do with the sensor performance, but once I discovered just how well they worked on their own gateway, and that I could just create HomeKit automations to link them back to HE (I was already running HomeKit), it was an easy choice for me. The Gateway was the cost of two motion sensors, and it gave me a doorbell, a supplemental siren, a light, and it would allow me to keep buying their low cost sensors without fear of issues.

It's all about the fit, and that's really what makes home automation difficult to roll out to the masses. One size and budget does not fit all. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

May have been. But just look at the experimentation that you went through with the Crees. I have zero doubt that your conclusions are based on logic and data.

1 Like

Mine are sat on my shelf here, theyre not going anywhere just yet. I have a Mi Hub coming, and hoping I can re-use them paired to their own hub.

You are so right! I don't have a bunch of different platforms here. We're really not in need of them. Small town Iowa. 1994 built house with some neutrals limits my selection of automation. My husband and I spend a lot of time doing lots of different things. So, I am at an automation plateau, really. Thought about sonos integration and I would like to still do my garage door opener and fashion some kind of presence trigger for my front doors. I like our house to interact with us, so everything I have set up can be within hubitat and linked with harmony to achieve this. No need to complicate it any more than I need to.

2 Likes

You know that's really inexpensive to get done. And wouldn't take you much time at all.

BTW, Happy Turkey Day!

2 Likes

And happy Turkey Day to you as well.
I know, I know. Just a little apprehensive about what I want to do and which relay to buy. :blush:

1 Like

Agree with this thread 100%. Every since using the V2's I've been retiring all my other motion sensons (except for the Hue motion sensors) All the smartthings (hate coin cell batteries that don't last long at all) and am retiring all the zooz 4-1's now that I know the V3's support humidity.

One of the goals I had months ago was device consolidation so therefore I could consolidate having to keep so many "different" batteries on hand. As Previously I had to maintain the following

CR2032 coin cell
CR2450 coin cell
CR2477 coin cell
CR2
CR123A
ER14250
AA
AAA

All for different battery HA devices.

Love it that most everything from Iris works great and CHEAP and all seem to use the CR2 battery!

1 Like