Iris v2 leak sensor not working

Well, my suspicion is the bulbs as I don't have my smart light switches fully in place so they keep getting shut off.

That's why I wanted to see the path the leak sensors were taking. If it's one of the ones getting shut off, makes total sense.

That’s definitely going to be an issue. If the leak sensor has routed through the outlet, and then power is cut to the outlet, the leak sensor will drop.

Everything I'm seeing regarding xbee is a module that you have to program. Is that what you mean?

Or is there something already built that would show me the zigbee network?

No that’s it. The “programming” part is trivial. There’s a lot of posts there that’s will tell you exactly what you need to order, and exactly what settings to put in for both the PC and Mac versions of the software.

Everyone is intimidated by it (I was too) and everyone (myself included) comments on how simple it was once they try it.

Oh, and an Xbee is one of the best repeaters available if you want to use it that way as well.

Posts on hubitat? I was referencing Google/Amazon searches. Is there a specific post that I should look at? Thanks for your help.

If you want to use Smart Bulbs connected to dumb switches, I would definitely recommend the Sengled zigbee bulbs. They are inexpensive and are NOT Zigbee repeaters by design. This keeps them from screwing up your zigbee mesh network if someone powers them off via a switch.

Since they are not Zigbee repeaters, you may want to add a few Zigbee outlets around your house to help establish a solid mesh network. The Securify Peanut plug and Ikea Tradfri smart outlets are low cost solutions that seem to work well for most users.

Setting up an Xbee module can be a fun and informative activity, however they are not necessarily the nicest things to look at, and aren't packaged as nicely as a ready-to-plug-in-outlet. The Xbee modules are great to visualize your mesh network, but I personally use it only for that purpose (not as a repeater.)

If I turn of the lights and re-pair the leak sensors, will it keep that path after I turn the lights back or it does it change at some point?

If the bulbs are a more appealing route for any reason (I'm not sure what all goes into this but I imagine it has to do with signal strength, number of existing children on the router, and possibly number of hops), the device will switch over. Most Zigbee devices change routes from time to time--something an Xbee, incidentally, could help you confirm. But pairing them with the bulbs fully powered off and keeping it that way for a while may help encourage it not to use them as a route.

I'd second ogiewon's recommendations. The bulbs getting turned off at the switch and poking holes in your mesh is one thing, but even when powered on, smart bulbs are generally just bad repeaters (at least for non-bulbs) and are perfectly capable of wreaking havoc on your mesh even when on. :slight_smile:

Yeah, if I didn't already have about 30 of these, I'd probably go get others but I would like to try to get it to work.

30?! :scream: I suspect at least some of your devices will choose bulbs are routers, so if you notice more problems and (understandably) don't want to replace the bulbs, you might consider keeping them on their own network (some have experimented with a second Hubitat hub, others like me use a Hue bridge--though the Osram bulbs are unlikely to pair with that since I think Osram has failed on their Zigbee 3.0 promise, though adding attractive repeaters like Xbees may also help other devices choose other routes).

Or you might be fine. I'm not sure if these particular bulbs are known to be problematic--just a general observation most people have of Zigbee LL bulbs on a Zigbee HA network like Hubitat. (But now that I think about it, the US versions of these as of the last couple years won't pair with Hue because they aren't Zigbee LL; I think they're HA 1.2 with the promise of becoming 3.0. If they were well designed for 1.2, you might actually not have problems.)

Yes, 30 :grinning:

Got them on clearance. I do like the ability to control them individually.

I may try another hubitat and put them on that if none of the other suggestions work.

1 Like

When trying to do a hard reset on this leak sensor (following the video on YouTube), I am only getting a red light to come in for about two seconds and then it shuts off.

This happens when I am trying to hold down the reset button while putting in the battery. I don't get the blue light indicating it has been reset.

Anyone that has this sensor that has experienced this and knows how to resolve it? Thanks!

You held down the button while inserting the battery? Since you got them on clearance, have you tested the batteries? Might have been sitting on the shelf too long.

Generally with all the 3xxx series sensors, the reset button needs to be released while it's yellow..., like a second tops after you put the battery in.

1 Like

Yes, I changed the battery but good suggestion.

Bingo. This was it. I had to release the reset button right after seeing the yellow light come on. I just did this with a Gen 2 Iris motion detector. Same thing - I was holding it down for too long. I'm blaming my memory loss on daylight savings time because I am tiirrrred. It is back to detecting water in the original location as well so that is good.

Now I just have to get my notifications working.

1 Like

Notifications working. I did not have the + in front of the number.

Are the options you listed above built into an app within hubitat or is it through an online service like IFTTT? Where do I go to add additional options for notifications? I assume the others cost a fee?

Not built in. I use IFTTT, but a lot of owners use Pushover.