Iris v1 devices EOL on C-8

Sorry for the n00b question, but asking out of curiosity...

The List of Compatible Devices states "Note that Iris v1 (AlertMe) devices are not compatible with hub model C-8".

Can someone please explain the technical reason for that? Seems very specific, not to mention a bit surprising once I saw this old long thread (now closed) detailing strong in-house support for Iris.

The C-8, introduced earlier this year, uses a different Zigbee chip and software stack compared to earlier models. Despite some efforts, they were not able to make Iris v1 pairing work on the new hardware. Iris v1 compatibility was added over four years and two hub models ago, back when the original system they were usable on shut down. (Migrated C-8 setups will actually work fine with these devices, as you might get with Hub Protect or cloud migration from an earlier hub model, though you'd be stuck if they ever "fall off" your network.)

As a result, this note was added to the list.

2 Likes

Gotcha and thanx. Was just about to share this earlier response (from you, no less) giving more details. Very interesting. Excuse the duplication as I hone my forum-search skillz.

3 Likes