IRIS Motion Sensors

The answer is use another lux sensor (I have one outside the house) and call it a day. Sorry to waste everyone's time, I just should have thought this through more thoroughly.

So i just checked the lux is still 0 so that was incorrect self-bashing, lol. I'm at a loss. Perhaps I'll just use modes instead of lux.

With Simple Automation Rules, the solution is to make two automations/rules: one that turns them on (with the restriction), and another that turns then off. Motion Lighting might be able to handle this in one app, but I've never used lux there so can't say for sure. RM certainly could, but it's overkill for a lot of lighting automations, in my opinion, and a smaller, purpose-built app is likely to work faster (and is much easier to set up, aside from learning the quirks--of which some people would say RM has far many more of :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I'll have to see about this. As I'm heading to bed right now these lights didn't go off. It's inconsistent. I'll try the simple automation 2 rules for on and off tomorrow and report back. Thank you

I would definitely give the motion lighting app a try, it has the restriction with the use of a lux sensor as well as a auto off feature if lux is above a certain threshold. It also has multiple ways to enable or disable the motion from working, say you want a reading mode or a TV mode for instance, you can disable motion from turning on or turning off lights. There are a ton of options in there though, so I would definitely take a look at the documentation to understand them all.

1 Like

Ha ha ha yeah, don't put the lux sensor in the room where the lights will go on. That will definitely confuse your rule. I used to use a lux feed from the Darksky weather app (ie. it just estimated lux based on the weather conditions in the area). Now I've just got a couple of Xiaomi illuminance sensors and put one outside. It is excellent so far. Doesn't report proper lux, just a reading that seems to go from zero (nighttime) to something like 7 or 8000 in the sunshine, so it's quite easy then to trigger lights to come on if the reading is below 100 or suchlike (eg. dusk or rainy/dark during the day). It works nicely and they are real cheap too.

Good morning, folks...I took the advice of creating 2 simple automation rules for motion on & motion off... And that seems to have solved the problem. Lux on motion on rules so it still works.

I do want to ask about the disable rule option in Simple Automation... Is that basically if this rule is running, disable this one? Anybody using that?

I used the Philips Hue motion sensor for lux. One of the members recommended it and it has been great. It isn't great for motion but the lux readings are on target. I place it inside one of my windows & use it a lot. It's one of the better ones for illuminance that I've seen. The pricey AEOTECH tri-sensors work well too. I'm sad to say that I wish I came here to ask about these IRIS sensors before I went out and bought 3 more aeotecsc๐Ÿ˜”...

Are you talking about the "Switch to disable rule" option? (That's the only one I can see where the wording is close to matching.) If so, that just lets you choose a switch (virtual or "real"), and whenever that switch is either on or off (there's an option for that, too), the Simple Automation Rule will be disabled. Just as with lux, Simple Automation Rules restrictions are very simple: the entire automation will be disabled (e.g., it won't continue with turning a light off if the restriction comes into effect after the light was un-restricted-ly turned on).

Yes, that's what I was talking about umm. So at night, I want this switch to turn on that it's virtual and connected with Alexa. I would like this to trigger when I go to bed, right now I say a command to Alexa, who then turns on a switch that HE can see and execute a series of functions turning off lights, locking down, etc. When that's done, I'd like an additional switch to come on and run from 11:45pm to 6am. I've been trying to get Alexa do that but it's not working. I also tried IFTTT, worked but I can't set a time interval and I'm using the motion from A RING camera as the trigger.

The switch would be a way to stop this lighting automation from running at specific times (whenever the switch is in a specific state), but you could also use location mode (a common choice for lighting automations), time, or other restrictions directly on the rule instead. With a switch, it's up to you to get the switch set to the desired state when needed (via voice, another app/rule, etc.). It sounds like you might be trying to do some of that already, but it's not clear what part isn't working (setting the switch state? using it as a restriction?).

As an example of what I do with most of my lighting automations: I mostly use mode. In bedrooms, mine only come on by their own in "evening" mode (basically a bit before sunset to bedtime). In other rooms, the lights might come on in "morning" (basically get-up time to a bit after sunrise) and sometimes "day" (if it's a poorly lit interior room) mode. In all cases, the lights will turn off on their own, so I only restrict the "on" portion. I don't use lux (though getting that better integrated into my mode changes is a future goal) or virtual switches (though you could use a carefully selected set of these instead of modes and get more or less the same result). Voice control need is minimal since I don't need to worry about undesirable lights turning on by themselves in the morning. Just an idea/example of what's possible!

After thinking about it and reading what you said, I think I'm going to approach this differently. Initially I was trying to use the motion on an internal Ring camera to flip a virtual switch ON that I created within HE that Alexa can see also. This wasn't always working as you indicated, the switch state (on/off) needs to be determined and realized. It's inconsistent for me. But I took a step back. Since the new knowledge with the Iris motion detectors & the fact that I have 5 in a box, I'm going to place that next to the Ring camera and set-up the RM rule to turn on various lights (including the virtual switch so Alexa can see it) and simple automation to turn off if no motion.

That sounds like a good plan. I've found camera "motion" is not ideal to switch on lights because they don't normally use IR, but pixel changes in the image. So they can be fooled by all sorts of other types of change in the image (eg. lights going on, shadows, sunshine changing, branches etc). So I tend to use real motion detectors (like your Iris sensors) for lights on and then in addition I'm using camera sensing (motion, and AI object detection for face, person etc) to help keep them on until all motion and presence is over. I'm using tinyCam for that to manage the cameras linked to virtual motion sensors using a small HE app I created. You can find it with a search if it's interesting to you.

1 Like

Bert

As a former IRIS user ( who, fortunately got paid out for my IRIS v1 devices) you probably will not get v1 devices to work with anything (a) since the IRIS Hub server is kaput and (b) all of their v1 devices had some proprietary hack to make them compatible only with the IRIS hub. Thatโ€™s why they paid out all of the owners with registered v1 devices.

The devices all behave according to Z-wave/Zigbee protocols with that one little proprietary mod.

Chuck

Welcome to the community. At the top of the thread, one of the other members pointed out the 2 versions and I confirmed I have version 2. Incidentally I also have a iris hub I just haven't set it up yet. Thanks for responding.

Lowes opened up the Iris platform before discontinuing it (see GitHub - arcus-smart-home/arcusplatform: Java Based Arcus Platform and Agent Components).

As a consequence, Hubitat supports Iris v1 devices.

This was a problem with the automation, not the devices. You can see a few possible solutions above. (And as also noted just above, Hubitat reverse-engineered many of the v1 devices' behavior to be able to work on Hubitat; I'm not sure if they even had to consult the open-sourced elements, though that project is a lot farther along than it was last time I looked!).

1 Like

TIL something new! Thanks!

Never underestimate the power of Mike with a Zigbee sniffer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have several Iris V1 and V2 motion sensors and they work well with Hubitat. You should try using the Motion Lighting app instead of RM or Simple Automation.

1 Like