Iris contact sensor joins as Device

Tell us a little more about your Zigbee network, as @aaiyar mentioned earlier...

Also, have you read How to Build a Solid Zigbee Mesh - Hubitat Documentation ?

You could have WiFi interference depending on what Zigbee and WiFi channels are in use. You could have a weak signal between the hub and the sensor. Lots of things to troubleshoot, but nothing that we all haven't had to deal with over the years. Lots of great folks here in the community willing to help get things sorted out.

1 Like

Have multiple Zigbee lights that seem to work okay. This sensor is on my screen room door. There are 2 zigbee light bulbs outside the door that seem to work fine.

Zigbee channel 0x14 (20) 20
Router WiFi is on Auto channel 2.4 and 5 Ghz

Best to set your Router WiFi 2.4GHz radio to Channel 1 to avoid any issues with Zigbee channel 20.

What type of Zigbee lights/bulbs are these? Many Zigbee bulbs were originally designed to use ZLL zigbee networking, and thus make poor ZHA repeater devices.

1 Like

@FLGuy

As I think @ogiewon suspects, it could be the lights. There are many threads here about the poor function of zigbee lights as repeaters for devices other than similar bulbs. Two culprits of particular note are GE Links, and Cree Connected.

Sorry about the delay. Honey do projects :slight_smile:
Most of the bulbs are several years old. A few Sengled others I don't even remember the brand. I ported over from Wink. Just show up as Generic Zigbee.
I did change the WiFi channel on my router to 1. Results: no change.
I bought 10 of these sensors (more than I need but lot of 10 was cheap on ebay)
I'm going to pair another one and just leave it between the hub and the back door as a repeater.
The hub is about 20 ft from the sensor but through a frame wall about 1ft wide with drywall on both sides. Can't understand why it should be a bad signal.

Thanks for everyone's help. Soooo much better than Wink

Battery powered devices (Zigbee or Z-Wave) are not repeaters for their respective networks. Repeaters are typically devices that are plugged into an outlet, that have lots of power to spare. Battery powered devices would eat through their batteries in no time if they had to act as repeaters.

Check out the brands of smart bulbs you have, aside from the Sengleds. The Sengleds are fine and will not cause any issues. However, Cree and GE Link bulbs are notorious for wrecking a Zigbee HA mesh network.

If you don't have any other devices that are Zigbee repeaters, I would suggest you buy some IKEA Tradfri Outlets or dedicated IKEA Tradfri Zigbee repeaters to help build a strong mesh. Other options include Centralite and INNR Zigbee outlets. I personally have about 8 older Iris 3210-L outlets spread throughout my house, which have been very stable and reliable. Unfortunately, they are no longer manufactured.

1 Like

Thanks again. I'll look for a repeater.

1 Like

Have 2 Sylvania Smart Color tunable bulbs on the screen room outside of where the sensor is. No trouble communicating with the hub