Ip reservations

Hi all.

I have googled, and failed miserably.

My ocd is doing my head in with this. Essentially, attempting to assign a handful of devices static ips.

192.168.1.245 cant
192.168.1.246 cant

Etc. Pretty much, can't seem to assign to 2 ips but I can't see any reason for this. Which I assume is because they are reserved or used for existing devices. But I can't see how nor why.

Any ideas? Cheers!

We probably need a bit more context.

People (including me) sometimes use static IP and reserved IP interchangeably but they really aren't. Sounds like you are trying to assign these IPs a DHCP reservation? Usually these are assigned by MAC address in your DHCP server but the steps you need to go through vary in the specifics by manufacturer and model of whatever appliance hosts your DHCP server. If you're trying to assign static IP addresses using the IP stack of the end device (not really recommended) the way you do it depends on the device itself.

1 Like

Here's a short explanation I wrote up about the basics of DHCP.

I'm assigning using the router, mac addy.

I can do this for a stack of devices. I can't figure out why I can't do this for 2 particular ip addys. It's odd

Can you ping them? What router do you have? Are you sure they aren't already assigned out?

ah, there we go. I missed this.

I can't figure out what this actually is. I'd rather kick it onto a different iP...but I can't figure out what the hell it is.

(it's the x.125)

Jiangxi Hongpai Technology Co., Ltd. is the device manufacturer based on mac

1 Like

:grin:
Isn't that the best!

Just Google the MAC, it's not like it'll come back with some unknown Chinese company. :wink:

edit: There you go. Jiangxi Hongpai

2 Likes

looks like they make Gigabit PCI cards

ah, could it be a hub/switch?

might be

1 Like

check the switche's mac address against your table

Block it and see what fails?

My preferred method :smiley:

1 Like

This is sometimes, but not always, a clue.

Many devices will have onboard Ethernet or WiFi chips made by someone else, and that’s what shows up when searching by OUI (the Organizationally Unique Identifier that makes up part of a device’s MAC address).

On the ones you can't reserve, drop to a command prompt and type ping -a 192.168.1.245 and then 246, it should come back with a canonical name

1 Like

I think the Brother printer I had a while back assigned itself there to be outside most router’s dhcp reservation.

Plan. I'll have a go tonight.

"My relationship", at a guess. Not that brave.

3 Likes

So whatever it is it's not registering with DNS. So at this point download a free prog called advanced port scanner. It will scan your network. It may or may not come back with a manufacturer name. If it doesn't look up the mac address to track down the vendor.

Advanced port scanner

Vendor lookup my MAC

1 Like