iOS/TVoS 16.2 or "New Homekit architecture" upgrade broken Hubitat Homekit integration

So given all the instability with the HE Homekit app, I decided to go nuclear. However, I'm now unable to add the Hubitat bridge as an accessory. Here's what I did;

1. In Apple Home app I removed the original Hubitat bridge (~34 accessories).
  2. Did "reset QR and code pairing code"
  3. Restarted integration
  4. Scanned new QR code in Home app. No popups about an uncertified accessory....would just sit there and spin trying to add the bridge. Finally times out after a few minutes and the operation fails.
  5. Reset Hubitat QR code again
  6. Rebooted Hubitat hub
  7. Scanned QR code again in Home app. Immediately pops up with the uncertified accessory warning. Then it immediately errors out with: This accessory cannot be used with HomeKit.

Relaxed security is enabled. Running 2.3.4.120.

@gopher.ny Any ideas?

Can you PM me the hub id? I'll take a look at the engineering logs.
Are modes enabled at the bottom of the integration? Try disabling that first.
If that doesn't work and while we're getting to the bottom of it... you can try unchecking all devices except one, add ingthe accessory, and then start adding devices one at a time. Sometimes a particular device can trigger this behavior.

PMd you my hub ID. Modes are, and always have been off. Swamped with meetings this morning so will be a few hours until I can fiddle with the devices.

Here's my results:

Previously I had these accessory categories: contact sensor, dimmer, motion sensor, outlet, switch, water sensor.

Phase 1 test:

Unchecked many devices but left these categories: contact sensor, motion sensor, water sensor

After I unchecked those devices, I restarted integration. Scanned QR code in Home app and it quickly failed saying basically unable to add bridge. Then reset QR code again and rebooted Hubitat. QR code then immediately scanned, and is now guiding me through adding each of the exposed accessories. I cancelled (wanted to add more devices and re-test).

Phase 2 test:
Checked all dimmers and outlets. Reset QR code, rebooted hub. Home app added bridge and is walking me though accessory setup. Note: Only accessories NOT selected at this point are all "switch" devices.

Follow up:

For "switch" devices I had 5 I was trying to use in Homekit. Two physical zwave outlets, one virtual simple switch, and two presence virtual sensors. The two virtual presence sensors were recent additions, so maybe one or both of those are causing my problems? For the time being I did check the two physical outlets and the simple virtual switch. The two presence sensors are NOT checked. I'll reconfigure Home, re setup my automations, and try it without presence devices.

Update: My "simple" virtual switch just went "no response" and I wasn't doing anything in the Home app with that accessory. Now its back to a normal state after a minute.

Update 2: Random set of Hubitat devices are now flapping. From lights, outlets, to virtual switches. Not doing anything in the Home app except observing accessory states.

For what it's worth mine has been behaving just fine since all my Apple devices upgraded to 16.2. Using Relaxed security.

Well I bit the bullet and updated the architecture. BIG MISTAKE. Mine works fine. But can't get my wife's to work. Deleted home on hers. Sent invitation again. She gets the invitation, hits accept and after several minutes says it can't accept invitation. All device firmware is up to date with same versions as mine. I'm gonna be in trouble when she gets up and sees I messed her phone up.

1 Like

We won’t tell her if you don’t. Deny everything! :wink:

3 Likes

@gopher.ny So everything in my Hubitat HK app is flapping like crazy. I moved a number of accessories back over to the Homebridge v2 app and they are rock solid in the Apple Home app.

Are both bridges in the same home? I'm looking to confirm that they're accessed by the same home hub (or not).

Yes I only have a single Apple home, and all child bridges in Homebridge (about 10), and the Hubitat Homekit app are a part of it.

Took another look at the engineering logs, I may be onto something... next update.

After repeated re-boots, re-tries, I finally got my wife's phone to accept invitation and show the devices. But she didn't show up on mine under home settings as she previously did. Talked to Apple, no help there. Finally re-booted everything and it all came back up as before. Still not sure what was going on. Note to self: Don't do anymore updates... :neutral_face:

2.3.4.122 out, with some changes that should help, based on what I saw in the logs :crossed_fingers:
Please let me know how it goes.

Downloading now!

Downloaded, rebooted, all 25 Hubitat accessories are "no response". Toggled relaxed security (was already relaxed..just toggled for the fun of it), restarted the integration a few times, and rebooted the whole Hub once more. For a brief period only 3 accessories were no response, but now all 25 are back to 'no response'. So instead of regular flapping, they seem to be stuck in the 'no response' state.

Quick update....devices are back to flapping. When everything appears to be settled down, and I toggle a Hubitat accessory a few times like a light then after a few taps will always go 'no response'.

Back to the drawing board...

1 Like

I’ve been running 16.2 for a day or two on my HomePod-mini , ipad and iPhone with hubitat on 2.3.4.120 with no issues . I only have the one HomePod as my hub with C-5 & C-7 hubitat hubs. I updated 2.3.4.120 but never opened the hubitat after the reboot.

1 Like

Other than the issue with getting my wife’s phone connected mine has been solid. I’ve turned things on/off repeatedly trying to break it. No problems. I have 2 minis. I did have an issue when I enabled modes. I didn’t mess with that too much as I didn’t need it. I turned it back off and everything is fine.