iOS/TVoS 16.2 or "New Homekit architecture" upgrade broken Hubitat Homekit integration

You need to get everything (including iPhones/Apple Watches/Homepods/ATVs) updated or itā€™s going to be flaky/unresponsive per Appleā€™s warning that came up prior to updating the Home architecture.

Yes I strictly followed Apple guidelines and literally updated every device I own to their latest respective OSes. Both Apple TV 4ks, iphone, watch, Macs, etc. Only after everything was updated did I convert to the new architecture. Last night things were randomly 'no response'.

I've only just seen the update within the Home app. I assume that once everything is on 16.2 (and watches are on 9.2) I hit that update button....that will break everything!

I can't say for sure if "plain" 16.2 broke my HE, or if the issues started after I converted to the new architecture. I use Homebridge with a BUNCH of child bridges, and not a single one of them hiccuped with the 16.2 updates and new architecture. Only my C7 is nearly useless with Homekit after the upgrade. So I suspect the issues could be on the HE side. 16.1 was solid for me.

If you haven't yet, grab the latest version, 2.3.4.120 has relaxed home hub security setting on by default. It may not solve all the issues with 16.2, but it will deal with the most likely one.

2 Likes

Of course it will. Thatā€™s what you get for following the directions :joy:

Thatā€™s what I experienced during the beta. I have been on 16.2 since beta 1 and had zero issues with the HomeKit beta until I updated the home architecture a couple weeks in. I reinstalled Homekit beta after @gopher.ny introduced the relaxed security and havenā€™t had any issues since .118 was released.

Downloading right now....will report back on stability in a few hours. Last night I seemed to get "no response" mostly after I controlled an accessory in the Home app. The first control command would work, then a few seconds later after the device responded all the devices would show 'no response'.

My day so far...."downloading" zzzzzzzzzz, "preparing" zzzzzzzz "verifying" zzzzzzz then you walk away, go back to your phone and it's still telling there's an update "Install Now" - errrr yeah you think?

Why are Apple updates such a pain in the backside these days - 2 ATV's, 2 iPhones, 2 watches, 0 hours left in the day to do anything else - rant over

Because you want it done NOW. Otherwise you could pay no attention to it and I hear that the updates will eventually install themselves while youā€™re sleeping. I donā€™t have any personal experience with this either :laughing:

as long as you're connected to wifi, with the watch on charge (while on my wrist), at over 50% battery and during a full moon

1 Like

Ya getting frequent "no response" issues after the Hubitat update as well. What's interesting is how "no response" is behaving. If I have an Homekit room with multiple HE exposed accessories like light switches and motion sensors, if I trigger accessories in that room to say turn on ONE light (closet) then ALL HE accessories ONLY in that room go "no response". I have 30 HE accessories spread over multiple Home rooms, so it's not like the whole HE bridge dies it's just accessories in a Home room where I trigger an action.

All of these issues....If I update everything - phones to 16.2, TV to 16.2, watches to 9.2 and MacBook to latest...Can I avoid the problems if I simply don't click the button to update the architecture? (while you guinea pigs resolve it)

All was fine on mine until I updated the architecture. All is again fine with mine since the relaxed pairing security setting was added.

1 Like

I'm going away for a few days, so I'll not open that can of worms and press the 'update' button until I get home. I've a habit of doing updates just before I go away and everything goes tits up

That is an excellent plan.

All my devices have updated to 16.2. And all is working fine. So decided to try the new architecture. When I go to install it it says one of my home member devices requires an update. Then shows my wife. But all her devices are up to date. Any thoughts on what that might mean? (Unless she has some secret device I'm not aware of. :thinking:)

1 Like

16.2 or equivalent, just released update? The new Home architecture is leaving older devices behind. They wonā€™t be able to control devices in the Home app.

Her phone and Ipad are both on 16.2. As well as my phone and Ipad. That's what is confusing me. Don't know what else it could be.

Do you have an Apple TV or HomePod mini? Me, my wife, and our 4 kids all have idevices and I only got the warning about a couple older iPads. That, and the fact that iPads can no longer act as a Home hub.

Both my Mini's are on 16.2. It doesn't tell me which device is the problem. But I may have figured it out. Her watch shows 9.2. But when I look at her apple account it shows 9.1. So wondering if things haven't propagated thru and that is what is going on. I'll wait till later and check again.

1 Like