iOS App dashboard doesn't refresh

Hi, I've been a long time Smart Things user and am now trying to slowly migrate over to hubitat.

One of the hiccups I'm running into is the dashboard refresh in the iOS app. I've seen a few threads very similar to my problem but there seems to be no solution by the end of the threads.

I'll try to describe what I'm doing to help re-create the issue for anyone else. I'm on an iphone XS Max with the latest ios (12.4) and the latest Hubitat app. When first opening the app and going into the dashboard all the tiles are refreshed and mirror the hubitat's current states. When I use the dashboard in my browser (safari) on my mac and turn things on and off, the changes are reflected in the ios app relatively quickly. After closing the ios app and then going back into it a minute or so later the refreshing stops working. Changes made on my desktop browser no longer refreshes on the ios app. Also, the green and red icons at the top right will blink back and forth between each every second. It doesn't make a difference if I'm in cloud or local mode. Only after I drag down the screen to initiate the refresh will it start giving the correct states of the hubitat. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Is it only after changing the state of that specific tile in dashboard? Do other tiles update?

There are some changes that will address iOS and events happening while the app is in the background coming in the next update.

Hopefully that will address several iOS / Safari interference with JavaScript.

None of the tiles in the app seem to update. I just tried a number of my switches and one motion sensor. The only thing that changes is the flashing red/green icon.

I did try a home screen bookmarked dashboard and that too does not refresh reliably either. That's a little worse since there seems to be no way to quickly refresh the page.

I look forward to the update!

@patrick I just tried using the dashboards for the first time via a cloud link. I think the problem seems to occur when there are two connections to the same dashboard from two devices ... I get the red/green icon flashing on one of the two devices. Closing down the dashboard on both waiting a few mins and only opening on one device resolves the problem. Two iPhones ... running latest iOS...

Dan

@patrick apologies, what I said isn’t the case...

What’s actually happening is if I bookmark the cloud url for a particular dashboard after a couple of uses it starts to exhibit the problem(flashing red green and not responding). Going back to the dashboard menu and reopening the cloud link for the actual dashboard then restores things... presumably I should be able to bookmark the link to an actual dashboard ? And not have to go via the dashboard menu ?

Bit more info ... it seems to be that when you save a link to the home screen it looks like it’s opening a cached version of the page each time ...

Bump. On IPhone 6 13.3.1 same problem. If I send Safari to background and come back, a manual refresh is required to see current data. When using the Hubitat App, same thing happens, I must reselect dashboard to get it to refresh and display current data. When I look a the App's settings, "Background App Refresh" is off and disabled. Yes, disabled, I can't turn it on.
Thanks in advance for any solution

PS same thing happens in Safari with my MacBook Pro
PS2 "Background App Refresh" disabled due to low power. Came on again after recharge. App still does not refresh after being sent to background.

Same issue here, on both iOS and Android, no matter it's cloud dashboard or local:

• iOS with cloud dashboard: Stop refreshing if it's sent to background for a while (more than 1 minute) then relaunched.
  • iOS with local dashboard, or even Android: Stop refreshing if it's sent to background for a bit longer, probably 5~10 minutes then relaunched.

Other threads reporting the same issue:
https://community.hubitat.com/t/dashboard-needs-refreshing/21905/29
https://community.hubitat.com/t/ios-dashboard-sensor-not-refreshing/15441

It's really surprising that this major issue hasn't been resolved for such a long time.

Over a year later with various threads, but the problem with the App continues with no acknowledgment. IPhone 8 Plus IOS 13.5.1. App is in background - tap on Hubitat App and your Dashboard displays; however do not believe what you see - it will not reflect the actual state of any devices. You have to tap on the Dashboard symbol on the bottom left portion of the screen to reload the dashboard and then the devices update. Considering the features and versatility of the Hub this is just an annoyance for me, however it should be acknowledged after all this time. Does anyone in support read these?

I am not a programmer and I do not know the answer. However I do know if you do a quick google search it is not just the HE app that does this. It seems you need to build in a refresh as the app is "sleeping" when in the background. If you clicked off the dashboard app to say the devices page before putting the phone away, and then opened the app, clicked your dashboard it would open refreshed (not the point I know).

(again not the point) Have you tried creating a link on your home screen to your dashes and using that instead of the app? I have better luck this way you may try it.

Don't get me wrong I hear your question, and believe it is a valid point. I'm simply offering some possible workaround solution between now and the time the true "fix" is found.

Open the app, and clicking full screen button

Then click your dash to open it in Chrome (or default browser), click the 3 dots and then "Add to Home Screen" or "Add to Home Screen opinion in Safari". Doing this will remove the URL header, and the Hubitat footer, to give you a much cleaner looking dash.

To top it off I added

.dashboard>div>.header>.flex.flex-auto.justify-end>.flex>i {
visibility: hidden;
}

to the CSS to hide the top right buttons. This gives a pretty "clean" looking, fast loading dashboard.

Funny. I just notified this bug for the first time today. @moncho1138 is there a way to fix this? I saw it today when, in the midst of a hurricane, I noticed my dashboard said it was sunny instead of pouring

Does this happens only when returning from the background?

Yes, if we consider "background" to be any space that is not actively in use. I use a fully Kiosk browser which has a clock for a screen saver. Doing face recog it opens when we are close and if it does not auto refresh, the data will be off 50% of the time. Similar for Firefox/Chrome, if the dash is on a tab your not using it can happen (less often).

Looks like this is fixed in the beta version released today. Thanks @moncho1138!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. The update has taken care of and improved a list of items. Kudos to the Hubitat team for the response. Awesome work.