Intermittent issue with motion light app - switch not turn on (Take 2)

Hi,

In continuation to the issue that experienced here, one of the suggestions was to use a z-wave plus product.

Now I have one, it's Aeotec Smart Switch gen 6. Unfortunately, the issue remains.

The requirements are simple:

• If a motion is detected by device #1, switch ON device #2
  • Wait for 1 minute, if no further motion is detected, switch OFF device #2
  • otherwise, keep device #2 ON

Devices:

1. Name: Motion Sensor - WC
    Brand and model: Samsung SmartThings Motion Sensor
    Device ID: 100
    Device Type: Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor

2. Name: Switch - WC
    Brand and model: Aeotec Smart Switch Gen 6 (ZW096-B09 / Australia)
    Device ID: 237
    Device Type: Aeon Smart Switch 6

3. Name: Button A
    Brand and model: Samsung SmartThings Button
    Device ID: 99
    Device Type: Samsung Zigbee Button
    Note: I introduced this button to manually switch on smart switch in case the motion light app not working

App:

1. Name: Powder room
    App Type: Motion Lighting
    App ID : 117
    Configurations:

Test Summary:
2020-06-09 21:03:18.047 – initial motion detected
2020-06-09 21:06:02.315 – Motion no longer detected and device #2 is now in OFF state
2020-06-09 21:06:05.624 – Motion is detected again, this time device #2 is NOT ON at all
2020-06-09 21:06:05.798 – Device #2 been requested to switch on, but nothing is happening
2020-06-09 21:06:35.651 – Device #3 is double tapped, to override the action to turn on the light
2020-06-09 21:06:36.230 – Device #2 confirmed it is now ON

Debug Logs:

Ps: I'm happy to raise this with Hubitat support, but I found they are slower if compared to this forum :slight_smile:

1st question that pops out (not going to have a chance to do a full look until later) why have you added the sensor in as a additional sensor aswell? That might be your issue.

That shouldn't be there, the idea for that is I have 2 rooms with a sensor in each, when I go into one room and set off the app I want the lights to turn on. I then move to the 2nd room with maybe another app and the lights in there turn on but I have added that sensor to the 1st app aswell (as a additional sensor) now both rooms will stay on untill both detectors time out. So the additional sensor is not a trigger sensor but is a hold on sensor.

Ah...I thought this is required to make sure the light does not switched off when movement still happening in the room.

Now, when I read it slower, it does make sense not to add it, as it is an "additional" sensor.

Thanks! I've removed it and will monitor this again

Yep, remove that "second" WC sensor in the additional sensor options.

Can also be used in large or irregularly shaped rooms to keep the lights on. My basement, for example has one sensor at the bottom of the stairs to turn the basement light on, and a second near the wash machine to keep the lights on, and a third sensor in the opposite corner near the breaker panel. None of these sensors alone can see the whole basement.

But that's all it does. It "keeps the lights on" but it doesn't turn the lights on. If that's what you want then perfect :blush:. If you have more than one sensor in the room you can also add them all to the main motion option aswell, then if they turn off they would come back ON by any of them.

1 Like

Is this a temp thing or is it staying? If it is I would suggest that you add something like "if on stay ON" in the override section of the app. Then the app will stay in sync with the switch.

The Powder room motion lighting app you meant? I found there is no option to have double-tapped option in the motion lighting app:

At the moment it is using another rule machine to manually override the light (to switch on the power using device #3 - button A):

Yes that's correct for that bit, but there is another option in there aswell that you need.
It's in the off bit.

Okay, I've removed the additional sensor and renamed the device and app to start with "WC" (easy to see in the device and app list.
The following is the motion light app now:

Now, the intermittent issue is happening again, the following is the debug log:

Summary:

• 2020-06-16 12:30:59.858: motion is detected and switch is turned ON (2020-06-16 12:31:00.756)
  • 2020-06-16 12:32:25.443: switch is turned OFF as there is no movement (expected)
  • 2020-06-16 12:32:25.821: motion is detected again, but this time the switch is not turned on at all?

The app is fine by the looks of it. It looked more like a device/mesh issue.

Try this though, when it turns off ensure there is at least 30s before you trigger it again.

Hm... that's kinda pointless to have an automated motion light if the user needs to wait 30s every time it switched itself off, don't you think?

The toilet/powder room/WC is regularly used by the family, and I setup this to avoid them touching the light switch due to the covid. And I setup 1 minute delay (in theory) to save the electricity (plus it looks cool....if it works....)

It's just to test your device and prove strength of mesh.

As a professional lighting commissioning engineer, your not going to save any energy doing this. It's a switch device correct? The inrush alone will wipe that. You would be better have a delay of 5 mins as it allows them to do their business without the light turning on and off.

So that I understand this correctly, to test the z-wave mesh strength is to:

• wait for the light to turned off
  • wait 30 seconds
  • make a movement again
    if that is correct, it works as expected.

The intermittent issue is happening when I tried to make a move right after it switched off (well, it's intermittent, sometimes works, sometimes does not work).

Then it's a device or mesh issue. What I suspect is happening is your trying to send a ON before the device has reported that it's OFF so the app or driver thinks it's still ON and doesn't send anything.

1 Like

What is your motion sensor? What are the built in timeouts for that device? I wonder if that could have anything to do with it - maybe the motion sensor hasn't fully reset. For my motion lighting I use an extra bit of delay before turning a light off to account for this.

It's samsung smartthings motion sensor; it's running on zigbee

So it takes about 30 seconds between the time the motion status has changed from active to inactive.. could that have anything to do with it?

edit: probably not but thought I'd mention it anyway in case there was some funky timing issues. Note: I no longer use the RM/ML/SA apps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.