Integrating EufyCam 2

Has anyone integrated a EufyCam 2 into Hubitat? They only claim support for HomeKit but would be a lot easier in my situation if I could use it directly with Hubitat rather than having to use the HOOBS bridge. If someone hasn't done it yet is there any documentation on how one might proceed? The EufyCam 2 has two motion detecting cameras and a HomeBase 2 hub.

I only have their doorbell and used the method I described in this thread to integrate. Something similar should work if you happen to have an Android phone and Tasker App. It looks like Eufy still doesn't work with IFTTT and the Alexa skill only ties in video feeds, not motion detection.

4 Likes

Re "I described in this thread", which thread is that?

Click on the link that starts "Sort of off topic....."

Thank you.

1 Like

I have been talking to EufyCam quite a bit. Where are you seeing that it integrates with HomeKit?

I posted the following on Life Hacker's YouTube page, and thought there might be some interest in the community.

I bought a EufyCam 2 and two 2Cs. Unfortunately I did not inquire about integration to home automation. There is none. At a minimum, I thought I could get a motion present/not present indication, but no, no integration. When I say integration, I mean to smart hubs like Smartthings, Hubitat, etc.

I checked with Eufy and they said smart home hub integration is not on their road map. I escalated it, hoping someone at a higher level would get the feedback. If you are a Smart Home enthusiast, please post wherever you can about this lack of smart home integration, maybe the public pressure will change their mind.

From a camera perspective:

1. great pictures on both, you can see improvement on the 2 over the 2C, but not much (not worth the price difference)

2. battery life is not as advertised. I need to recharge every one to 2 weeks. I have one pointed down at the walk to my house, and another pointed to the driveway. Both have zones configured, so the driveway cam never sees cars driving by. The sidewalk cam only sees motion near the sidewalk. The grass blowing in the wind can set it off, and I have the sensitivity at 4. You would have to tune it very well, with once or twice daily motion being sensed, to get anywhere near the advertised battery life.

My recommendation: buy wired cameras if you possibly can. If you buy several and call an electrician to put in some Ethernet cable, you will be way ahead with far less aggravation. The wired cameras are less expensive, so that will pay for your electrician. The only other thing you will need is a PoE switch (<$100) and cable.

1 Like

iobroker.eufy-security - npm (npmjs.com)
anyone tried this with Hubitat? it seems it support a lot of control and events

Yup,

So I have a container just running stuff like my homebridge, but also I side installed iobroker.
Then loaded what is called an "adapter" for Eufy, which is jus a fancy name to say a nodejs app.
There is this guy has had great success of mapping the API and so far has been able to do nifty things, foremost, he managed to engage and subscribe to the local P2P port. This is important because that way all alerts and commands can be given locally.
bropat/ioBroker.eufy-security: This ioBroker adapter allows to control Eufy security devices by connecting to the Eufy cloud servers. (github.com)

Some of supported events you can subscribe:

• Motion detected
  • Person detected
  • Ringing (only Doorbell)
  • Crying detected (only Indoor cameras)
  • Sound detected (only Indoor cameras)
  • Pet detected (only Indoor cameras)

Once you have the adapter up and running, what it does it opens all the API functions and commands, then thru iobroker working as a bridge, you can do restful api, now I can make the damn thing my biding.

A simple RM GET did the trick for my intended automation, that is to vary the location mode of the homebase:

Hello,
Will it be possible for you to provide detailed instruction how to please? Ihave also containers and homebride running on raspberry pi.

Thank you in advance.
Zbigniew

After a long journey finally have the iobroker installed and configured. All the needed Eufy devices are visible there. The problemI have now is how to use the api. I create one sible RM rule to check but unfortunatelly it does not work. Any clue what is wrong ?