Inovelli switch turning off by itself

I just recently purchased the new Inovelli red series dimmer lz-w31 and it has been working flawlessly for the past few days. After coming home from work I find the switch is turning itself off after anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Seeing as how we are running a home business in the room that it is wired to, this is very frustrating. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone with similar past issues has a solution.

@Eric_Inovelli Any suggestions ??

I would suggest disabling any apps using the switch and see if the problem goes away.

Also check the device settings just in case. There is an auto off setting. Even if its not set put in a 0 and then save the settings and see if that helps.

Also click on configure to apply all the other settings just in case as well.

1 Like

I removed the switch from a morning automation that was scheduled for only 2 hours in the AM. That fixed it. Doesn't make too much sense though considering this issue was happening at 8 P.M. and is unrelated to the actions of the switch outside the morning automation hours.

It is still turning off by itself. I have paused all rules involved with the switch. This is very frustrating. Any ideas?

I never messed with the auto off settings. When it started doing this I switched the auto off settings to max allowed time to see if it would do anything. It is still turning itself off. The only thing I can think of is rejoining the device to my hub.

Deleting and rejoining will remove it from any automation and reset it to its default settings. Maybe even do a factory reset of the device in case there are any saved settings. This should solve the issue unless its a hardware issue.

One thing you can check is after it turns on, refresh the device page and scroll to the bottom and see if there are scheduled jobs created that may turn it off. Its just a wild guess.

I had the same problem. it started happening when I unplugged it and moved it about 2 feet. I finally took it out of service, replaced it with another plug I wasn't using . Took the Inovelli and plugged it in in my study, turned it on, check every once in a while and so far hasn't gone off. So still don't know what is going on .

For the record, and possibly helpful, I had an Inovelli turn "on" by itself in the middle of the night last night.

Unfortunately, it was the Master Bathroom light, and in all it's glory in the middle of the night, it seemed like the Sun was shining directly into my face....

Groggily deciding it was likely just a transient glitch, I crawled out of bed, stumbled across the room and into the Bathroom to turn the switch off.

Imagine my surprise when the switch did nothing. Nada. Wait, not nada. If I hit the "on" side, the light got BRIGHTER. Gahhhh.

In the end, I discovered my Ground wire was loose. Might be worth checking the terminals on the switch, and making sure everything has good contact.

The story of the discovery of the loose ground is full of unsafe electrical practices (especially half awake and armed with screwdrivers) so we won't go over that.

I'm not exactly sure why the loose ground would cause the LED to light up, and cause the "off" state of the relay to still pass enough current to iight the LED, but I expect it's related to some sort of capacitance in the switch unit when ungrounded.

Nonetheless, I suppose a loose terminal could cause the behavior you've seen.

Maybe.

LOL
S.

3 Likes

Ha ha, I can see that!

A post in another thread may help you @DLHenderson889.

Looks like there may be an issue with the switches. Hope it's minor.

I had a similar issue when I initially set up my switch. Mines set up with a dummy secondary. What I found out was that my light would shut off at high or low birghtness. I'm not certain if this is caused from the dummy switch being in the mix, but I could hear the Inovelli Red dimmer click after being either full or minimum brightness corresponding with the light going off.

I fixed this by adjusting the min and max brightness, this was with ecosmart dimmable LEDs (probably not the best) I ended up on a setting of min 40 and max 89 in order prevent the random shut off from happening.

Are people still dealing with this? I am ... My switch is about a week installed, and at first I thought I was crazy that it went off, but it for sure turns off by itself.

• Inovelli ZWave Dimmer Switch (Red Series)
  • Set up as single-pole

I have 3 HUE BR30s and an Alexa connected to it. I use it because I want to shut Alexa off

It seemed like it was about a 10-15 minute cadence, then tonight it was only for 30+ minutes I thought it resolved itself, but it turned off. Ive triple checked the AUTO-off is set to 0 and saved preferences.

Ive just set it to a 6 hour timer, maybe that hacks it into place. I dont usually need it on longer than that.

@Eric_Inovelli @ericm

Ive found other forums around this as well, but they all seem to end in 2020

dev:3852022-01-28 07:29:04.221 pm infoBackyard Light Switch: componentOn(Backyard Light Switch (Perimeter Off))

dev:3852022-01-28 07:20:55.969 pm infoBackyard Light Switch: Power report received with value of 0.0 W

dev:3852022-01-28 07:20:55.955 pm debugBackyard Light Switch: MeterReport(meterType: 1, precision: 1, scale: 2, size: 4, meterValue: [0, 0, 0, 0], rateType: 1, deltaTime: 0, previousMeterValue: )

dev:3852022-01-28 07:20:53.706 pm infoBackyard Light Switch: Basic report received with value of off (0)

dev:3852022-01-28 07:20:53.704 pm debugBackyard Light Switch: BasicReport(value:0)

dev:3852022-01-28 07:20:53.412 pm infoBackyard Light Switch: off()

This makes it seem like something called the "off()" command to turn it off. In this case it might be an app that is controlling it.

Can you scroll down to the bottom of the device page and see if there are any apps using the device? If so, can you check them out to make sure they wouldn't be causing any issues?

Or Alexa being helpful. I’ve had this, don’t recall what I had to disable on Alexa to stop it. Hunches?

Thats a good call ... Ive pulled it out, and have another coming. I wonder if something got jammed into a rule somewhere that should have been deleted.

1 Like