Inovelli Red vs. Lutron Caseta switches

Just tried with a standard 3 button RL and I can assign on/off but the raise/lower can't be assigned to the fan contoller... hmmm.

Do all the programing in HE not RA2, and it works fine. see above for rule.

I can't decide between these switches either. I don't really like the look of the caseta but I like the idea of little remote. Which one is faster.
That's the big con with alot of the switches I see Videos about. If its not instant on like a normal switch my wife will not like it.

What kind of security system are you using? I got rid of ADT forever ago because it was so expensive but never did replace it with anything.

I do not have Inovelli switches so cannot speak for their speed, but I have had other zigbee and zwave (both standard and zwave plus) switches. All have had some kind of delay, zigbee being the quickest, but it still had that brief moment when you have moved the switch and then the light turns on.

I have since switched to all Caseta switches, dimmers and fan controllers (except for one fan that still needs the Home Depot Hampton Bay fan controller). Turning on either a Caseta switch or dimmer I can see no perceptible delay, basically to my eyes it is as quick as any non-smart on/off switch. The same goes when turning off a Caseta switch, it is instantaneous to my eyes. The Caseta dimmer however is not instant off. It has a fade "out" that is configurable in Hubitat in seconds. The default is 1 second, which is nice when your switch is located inside a room so that you can exit as it slowly fades to off. It only takes a couple of uses to get used to it, but it is different from the "norm" of instant off.

1 Like

I concur with everything @wve stated above. There is no perceptible delay when manually operating Caseta switches. The one thing I would add is that if a Pico Remote is paired natively to a Caseta switch or dimmer (not using Hubitat at all), the response time of pressing a Pico is also instantaneous.

Just don't try to link a Pico via Hubitat to a Caseta device. That causes a delay, due to the extra hops through the SmartBridge Pro's telnet interface for the Pico and Caseta device.

1 Like

And I'd be remiss at this point if I didn't point out how great the service is from Inovelli. That's based on a recent problem I had with the switch plate and the air-gap switch. One email and next thing you know I had the replacements at my house. Something to be said for that.

Now if I could just get Inovelli to come out with a motion switch like the GE ones(but better)... pretty please!?

3 Likes

This post right here just sold me on Lutron. What you described with Zwave maintenance is kind of why I’m leaving Insteon.

1 Like

Oh I still have Insteon. Zero maintenance there. As in-wall dimmers go, I rank them above Caséta. But for in-wall switches (kind of a draw there actually) and for remotes, the Picos are much better.

Just finished reading this entire (extremely helpful) thread. We are doing a large home expansion, so I'm starting from scratch, though also redoing some existing areas. I'm just starting out with my HE but also now have a Lutron SmartBridge Pro and a Hue Bridge. SH#& escalated quickly! I was always a big believer in Lutron Maestro, so the Lutron Caseta line has been a no-brainer for me. The Pico 3-way solution is just genius.

Anyway, I have a few situations where I don't THINK I can use Caseta. For example, in the living room, all cans are going to be Hue color bulbs. I'm also doing all of our soffit lighting with Hue recessed fixtures (to make holidays a bit easier!). As I understand it, I need to use something like Inovelli (their current lead time may be a killer though) or RGBGenie, i.e. a switch that is not going to actually turn off the current to the bulbs. Correct?

My wife also picked a DC motor fan for the living room, so I can't use Caseta for that either, OR Inovelli, which is a serious bummer. Anyone have a solution for that? I hate the on-wall remotes that come with Minka Aire fans.

1 Like

You could always wire the hue fixtures as always on and put a pico in the wall box.

3 Likes

Interesting. Given all the contexts in which Pico comes to the rescue, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. And so that Pico gets paired to the Lutron bridge like all the others, and that's that. Wonder whether there would be any delay, but I guess no more than any other Pico in use (or an Inovelli or RGBGenie for that matter)...?

Still pondering at least one Inovelli regardless because I love the idea of a front door light switch also locking all entry doors.

On a new home build (or remodel), this might not pass inspection. I am not a code expert by any means, but this method didn't seem to meet code the last I looked.

I don't think it is a big deal to mix and match switches. I try to keep rooms all one type, or at the very least switches in one gang box all the same look, but otherwise use the switch that is best suited for the job.

I am thinking to go with all Inovelli Red dimmers/switches simply because of their looks. The Lutrons don't look as cool, lol.

But...the Lutron switches “just work”, every time, without fail. When I read about all of the issues people are having with their Z-wave networks, especially lately regarding Inovelli devices...I just think to myself - “I am so happy I chose Lutron.” :wink:

4 Likes

I am hoping these issues will be ironed out by the time I am ready to switch everything out. Also hoping I will have a good enough Zwave mesh to not have too many issues

1 Like

One beef with Lutron is that they don't have double tap or press/hold on the actual switches. But with careful placement of switches and Pico, you can somewhat minimize that downside. But in my bedroom, where there is only one wall switch, I really like having the double tap ability of Zwave.

One other minor complaint is cost and availability. The dimmers are relatively speaking OK priced, but try to buy a Caseta switch and it is double or triple the cost of a dimmer! And they are harder to find, nobody seems to stock them. Same with the Pico, why does one that simply has a fan logo cost like 4-5 times what one with a light symbol costs?

But I do love the rock solid Caseta, it just never gives me any trouble. And even if I didn't use the Caseta dimmer, I would have the Lutron Bridge for the Pico alone.

Just add another Pico alongside your existing switch(es) and you have 10 functions to use however you see fit. However, it does cost extra compared to a switch that also doubles as a button controller. For me, the one time added cost is worth of lifetime of hassle-free performance. :wink:

Hmmm...:thinking: Caseta Switches don’t seem that hard to find... and only a few dollars more than a Caseta dimmer...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Caseta-Wireless-Smart-Lighting-Switch-for-All-Bulb-Types-or-Fans-White-PD-5ANS-WH-R/305090201

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Caseta-Wireless-Lighting-PD-5ANS-WH-R/dp/B07GYBC77S/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Caseta+Switch&qid=1596327959&sr=8-6

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lutron-Caseta-Wireless-Single-Pole-3-Way-White-Smart-with-LED-Light-Switch/1000578587

Supply and demand... the standard 5 button Pico is usually about $15. The Fan Pico is about $30...so double the cost, not quite 4-5 times...

Batteries are rated for 10 years, so at least you don’t have to recharge them or constantly replace batteries.

Options are a good thing! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I too am suffering total analysis paralysis on the switch issue. :exploding_head:

I have a couple of Inovelli switches because when I got my HE, I wanted SOMETHING to play with right away. So I put the Inovelli switches in places where the switch would only be operated by timer or motion sensor.

That is working fine, but I still need to decide what to do for my "hands on" switches.

The Lutron stuff is really nice... and I love the idea of Picos... but I already have 2 places where switch upgrades would need to coexist with Zigbee RGBW lighting... because RGBW lighting is cool, and now I want it everywhere. And I have a lot of stupid needless multiway switches, too. Sigh.

The only thing I can think of is getting out the soldering iron, and hacking up a fan remote so that a HE-controlled device pushes the buttons via a momentary relay. You'd want somewhere to hide that monstrosity.

(I LOVE my Minka Aire DC fan -- so, so worth it over a cheaper buzzy AC model.)

For me thanks to PAF (Partner Acceptance Factor) it was toggles (so Zooz Zen23/24s) otherwise I might have gone Inovelli. My wife just doesn't like the "weird look" of the Caseta stuff.

I did manage to put some in the basement though and they certainly work great. For the utility room and my basement office I have overhead led lights that are controlled by a switched outlet. Removed the switches and replaced with mounted Picos and added smart plugs to the lights. Very fast and reliable. One silly issue I ran into (my fault) was keeping everything in one room called "test" made all the switches turn on and off together when pressing the picos. Initially thought it was a bug in my rules etc.

Another thought is the RA2 stuff which has standard looking switches if you want them but then you are into some serious coin.

1 Like