Inovelli Red vs. Lutron Caseta switches

So my hub isn't even arrived yet, but I've got a growing list of projects to do. Wife isn't really enthused, but I am.

Light switches are obviously high on the priority list.

I had planned Lutron Caseta with pro hub because everything I've read says they are super fast, reliable and high quality and the ability to wire 3-way with picos seems nice. House is brand new, neutrals at all so that's not an issue for me.

However I was just reading (my gosh there is endless reading when you start this HA stuff!) about the Inovelli Red series switches and they see to have some really cool features.

I can see myself using some of the tap to set scenes for things like door locking, security arm/disarm and even turning spa on/off! And having the LED change color to inform me would also be useful - garage door open / spa left on, etc.

It's a big investment both money and time to replace multiple switches throughout our home. I guess I'm just looking for some feedback, ideally from someone who maybe has used both? Is that too much to ask?

advTHANKSance

3 Likes

I use inovelli switches and dimmers currently.. I have not been disappointed.. I am about to replace some of my inovelli dimmers with RGBGenie touch panels with a micro dimmer... As it can do some more advanced features, without the double triple quadruple taps, etc..

There are many others that on this community that will suggest the lutron line.. So it all boils down to preference.. One good thing about going this route is you will have a strong z-wave mesh as each mains powered device, like a switch, are all repeaters..

The way I see it my smart home is forever evolving.. It will never be a finished project..

4 Likes

The old WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)... Good luck..

1 Like

I used to have GE/Jasco Z-Wave switches and dimmers through various portions of my house. These were not the latest and greatest versions that are available today, so my experience with Z-Wave switches is somewhat dated.

I grew weary of the Z-wave mesh network issues that I have experienced since ~2014. The process of Inclusion, Exclusion, and random devices dropping off the mesh, eventually got me looking at Lutron Caseta. I started with a Caseta SmartBridge Pro2 + Pico Remotes. These worked so well, that I decided to replace all of the switches in my home with Caseta Switches, Dimmers, Fan Controllers, and Pico Remotes. What I really like is that they "just work", all the time, every time.

I have no regrets whatsoever. I use Pico Remotes as button controllers to trigger different automations, as needed. Pico remotes can easily be added alongside 'real' switches, by just using a wider faceplate and surface mounting the Pico.

Another great feature of setting up a Lutron system is the fact that you can integrate it with multiple home automation platforms without having to 'un-pair' and 're-pair' the actual devices. Lutron integrates with Hubitat, SmartThings, HomeAssistant, and other home automation systems. It also works with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Logitech Harmony Hub without need for any other home automation hub/platform whatsoever.

3 Likes

I’d recommend the Lutron. While the innovelli and their features are nice, you won’t have the z-wave maintenance or database replacement issues to deal with if you go Caséta. If you’re already getting the stink eye from your wife, choose Caséta for guaranteed stability.

2 Likes

The best thing I did was expel all my pre-plus z-wave devices.. My z-wave network actually is a beast right now.. Tons of mains powered repeaters..

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: I knew most here would recommend the Lutron..

3 Likes

For me it’s not wanting another hub.. And being able to use these devices to strengthen my mesh.. But there are so many viewpoints and different ways to do it.. The great thing is HE supports it all..

He sounds new to hone automation. Trying to explain to his wife that he needs to buy a $100 bridge, then these switches that, oh by the way also need time to work properly. Man, I would not want to be on that receiving end.

2 Likes

It’s a bridge, not a hub and he plans to buy it anyway, regardless

1 Like

One of the biggest pluses for Lutron is the Pico's, the ability to add many 15 function button controllers for $15 each (or occasionally less) in unbeatable. On top of the reliability previously mentioned.

1 Like

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet .....

7 Likes

I genuinely curious what the outcome will be

3 Likes

That rose can’t do anything except connect Lutron devices to each other, connect them to IP, group, and create very basic scenes. It’s a bridge! :rofl:

2 Likes

That bridge has some third party integrations now - like local control of Sonos using Pico remotes.

It's trying to evolve .....

6 Likes

Since you're new to home automation, you're going to spend some time figuring out what your wife and house guests can and will tolerate, or will actually use. I bet most people have a random drawer or miscellaneous devices because of a bright idea that either didn't work well, or wasn't that useful.

I'll mention that many of my early ideas for home automation sounded like yours. While everyone's use case is different, I found the sweet spot to be some combination of prioritizing the automation of everything that can be done seamlessly, providing physical controls for everything that may be used in a way that can't be reliably automated (light switches), and leaving well enough alone. While it sounds fun to control a lock via light switch, is it really practical if you or your wife end up physically checking that the door is locked anyways?

My vote is Caseta. Zero mesh issues to worry about. Plus, Lutron is easily the most established player in this field and most likely to still be relevant (and in your walls) in five years. Any additional "features" of other switches sound cool, but maybe install one and see if you actually find its features useful beyond just telling people that you can unlock your door with a light switch.

3 Likes

True, but it lacks the brains to do much more. Hue is the closest bridge that I could get behind calling a hub.

1 Like

This is so true. Very good advice. And by the way, put in a Pico and it will act just like a light switch that can also do anything else you program it to do because it’s actually a full featured button controller.

2 Likes

Further to this, if you had to or want to upgrade your HE hub in the future, with Lutron you just backup your hub database, restore to the new hub and you are good to go. With Z-Wave switches all over your home, you have to exclude each one, join each one to the new hub, working your way outward from the hub, repair the mesh, then fix every single rule that the switches were part of because they will all be broken.

Plus, your back will be sore because your wife made you sleep in the dog house! :joy:

4 Likes

Excellent point, I hadn't thought about that and you are right. Hubitat not having a decent way to transfer hub to hub zwave devices was the main reason I haven't done any expanding on zwave devices on this platform like I was with others.

1 Like