Lighting Controls Preference

• Zigbee
  • Z-Wave
  • Lutron
  • Wifi

0 voters

3 Likes

I think I know which one would win here .. But am curious..

Mostly Lutron, but I have 4 Zooz z-wave+ switches and 1 zwave+ dimmer.

1 Like

Well we are off to a good race..

1 Like

Well my caffeine is kicking in... Time to get to programming..

1 Like

It was a simple decision for me, since I have no neutral wires in my switch boxes and there are caseta switches and dimmers that work very well with LED bulbs despite that limitation.

There are ways around that issue with some z-wave and zigbee devices, e.g. I could install a micro dimmer in a ceiling fixture box, and I believe some newer dimmers claim to work without neutral (maybe zooz?), but caseta dimmers are simple to install and super reliable.

2 Likes

There are a few now that claim to work with no-neutral.. But with all the support issues I have seen from people going no-neutral, I wouldn’t recommend that route..

When I first started looking and had to choose between Lutron and Zwave, I looked beyond lighting. I really liked Lutron but since there were other things I wanted to control and that weren't supported by Lutron, I went with Zwave to ensure I could build a strong mesh. I haven't been sorry.

1 Like

I actually have LESS problems with my WiFi bulbs, plugs, and switches than with the Zigbee and Z-Wave devices. Easier to set up and less going out of sync.

2 Likes

Went Lutron for Picos and Hybrid Keypads (with HE LED control they now make even better light/scene controllers)

I seem to have enough other z-wave plus device that the mesh has not suffered, but was a consideration. I had planed to add a few outlets anyway.

1 Like

All my lights are wifi, and rock solid:)

2 Likes

@bcopeland you have likes again! :slight_smile: :grinning:

3 Likes

It’s maxed already :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yes?

Lutron switches are too busy imo. I like the simple paddle switches for local control. So for those I use the Inovelli switches.

The lights are Sylvania Zigbee bulbs. Mostly because that’s what I had and the price is good. They are on a second hub for stability.

Finally I want to go with Lutron for some Pico remotes.

So I shiver 75% of the poll options.

1 Like

I think the title of this poll might be unclear for some. Some may think button control devices are included rather than just direct power control (switches/relays, etc).

Or maybe I'm just salty that my choice is lagging. Lutron FTW !

2 Likes

:rofl: Don’t be salty.. It’s just personal preferences.. The poll is not about specs or capabilities..

1 Like

I’m actually rather surprised z-wave is in the lead here.. As this community seems to prefer lutron and zigbee (at least the more vocal users)

Agreed, but Z-wave, and Zigbee are more easily "grown in to". It is not until they let you down enough that one is will to take the plunge to Lutron. :money_mouth_face:

Yup...I think some of the zigbee responses are related to button control preferences. Based on the thread that linked me here, it seemed you wanted a poll on switch type devices.

Any method of control or physical interaction with your lighting devices..

On that note.. I guess I should have added dashboard as an option..

1 Like