Inovelli Red Series

I read in another thread that the first single tap of the switch up or down toggles the device on or off. Once the lights are turned on, then you do your taps for settings. In rule machine you can set the button pushed (tap on the upside) or button held (tap on the downside) to match the corresponding "press up x#" or "press down x#" to set how you want to set the lights. So, in my situation, pressing the up switch turns on the lights. If I want to turn the lights to purple 100%, I then double tap the up side. If I want to set the lights to purple 50%, I double tap down. The other post, and I'm sorry I can't find it right now, said to not set x1 settings so I haven't messed with it yet but I keep learning these little nuances as I read and play around.

bjcowlesRegular

Sep '19

And just for reference, as I'm sure this topic will get a lot of search hits. The mapping for scene buttons from Inovelli's site:

• Tap UP 1x = Button 1 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 1x = Button 1 HELD
  • Tap UP 2x = Button 2 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 2x = Button 2 HELD
  • Tap UP 3x = Button 3 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 3x = Button 3 HELD
  • Tap UP 4x = Button 4 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 4x = Button 4 HELD
  • Tap UP 5x = Button 5 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 5x = Button 5 HELD
  • Hold UP 3 Seconds = Button 6 PUSHED
  • Hold DOWN 3 Seconds = Button 6 HELD
  • Tap the Config/Favorite Button 1x = Button 7 PUSHED taps
1 Like

Wanted to update this list a little bit - this helped me a ton. However, the Hold actions may have changed. When you hold up, it triggers as button 8 pushed. When you release, it triggers as button 6 pushed. See below for the updated list.

Action Button # Event
Tap UP 1x 1 Pushed
Tap DOWN 1x 1 Held
Tap UP 2x 2 Pushed
Tap DOWN 2x 2 Held
Tap UP 3x 3 Pushed
Tap DOWN 3x 3 Held
Tap UP 4x 4 Pushed
Tap DOWN 4x 4 Held
Tap UP 5x 5 Pushed
Tap DOWN 5x 5 Held
Hold UP 3 Seconds 8 Pushed
Release UP after hold 6 Pushed
Hold DOWN 3 Seconds 8 Held
Release DOWN after hold 6 Held
Tap Config/Favorite Button 7 Pushed
5 Likes

Thanks for updating the list! When the switch first came out, they didn't have anything mapped for release. Good to know release is being used now.

I updated my post near the top of this thread with your info.

Something happened to my switch where it isn't registering the Config/Favorite button on the hub. Not sure how to fix that.

I found out a few days ago that my on the desk dimmers (i.e. those I'm just playing with) will pair a lot easier if you use a 3 wire cable that grounds the frame of the switch. Could just be my setup.

John

1 Like

What’s the best way to implement raise/lower dimmer on hold and also scene toggling on multi-tap of the paddles? This is with a CoCoHue group and the switch with the disabled relay.

Rules Machine has raise/lower but no scene toggling. Advanced Button Controller has scene toggling but no raise/lowering on hold of the dimmer.

How do you want to "toggle" scenes? Since the Inovelli supports multi-taps, this is easier than "faking it" with a lot of devices that don't. I wrote Dimmer Button Controller to make this easy on myself for devices like the Pico that don't, but you could create the same effect in Rule Machine (Button Controller might be a bit too limited) if you didn't want to use custom code. In RM, you'd need a variable to track the "push count" and then increment it with each push and check the current value before deciding what to do, something like this (not exactly what I'd personally do but very close), optionally adding a time-based "reset" like Hue Dimmers if you want. This would handle cycling through scenes with successive generations of the same button event (e.g., "button 1 pushed"). But again, for the Inovelli, you don't really need to do that if you just wanted specific taps assigned to specific scenes. You could just use button 1 pushed, button 2 pusheed, button 3 pushed, etc. to directly activate different scenes. Either RM or BC (or DBC if you don't use the built-in mutli-push feature--you don't need it on Inovelli) would work for this easily.

For dimming between a hold and release, you just need to match up the right button events with the right actions. If you're using Inovelli's provided driver, then holding the up paddle is "button 8 pushed" and releasing it is "button 6 pushed." For the down paddle, holding is "button 8 held" followed by "button 6 held" for release. (No, these event names don't make any sense.) If you're using Hubitat's drivers, these are the logical "button 1 held" and "button 1 released" and "button 2 held" and "button 2 released" for the up and down paddles, respectively; however, Hubitat only gives you up to double taps in each direction. Anyway, with either BC or RM, the actions you want for the real-world events are named something like:

• Hold up = "Start raising dimmer levels"
  • Hold down = "Start lowering dimmer levels"
  • Release up and release down = "Stop raising/lowering dimmer levels"

With DBC, you'll need to chose "Dim/brighten until release" on the appropriate button, but it won't work with Inovelli's drivers (just Hubitat's or mine) due to the way they mangled the button event naming (DBC expects a "released" event here).

1 Like

Thank you Robert! I do have dimming implemented right now through RM and the behaviour is as expected. I also have frequently used scenes set for “lower count” taps.

I’d like to be able to have three taps to cycle through coloured scene sets. For example, if I tap three times, scene 1 comes up and I tap three times again, scene 2 comes up and so on.

Is this a matter of a if-then-else loop for the button 3 pushed event or is there a toggle/cycle action in RM that I’m missing?

OK, so let's assume 3 taps up is "button 3 pushed" (Inovelli's custom driver does this). In that case, you could actually use my DBC app--do something like this, except for "button 3 pushed" instead of "button 1 pushed":

(DBC is easily confusing with devices that natively support mulit-taps like the Inovelli because it simulates this behavior on devices that don't, but it sounds like you understand what you want, so it should be good!)

But you could do something similar to that Rule I linked to above, too--just track the current "count" with a variable. It sounds like you're already doing this elsewhere, too. There isn't a "cycle though scenes" feature built into RM, so you'll have to create something yourself, and tracking a value with a variable is probably the easiest way.

Again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to implement this in Rule Machine. My hang-up was in using a counting variable. Programming is far from my background! I used this thread to help me figure out how to do it.

Rule Machine is intimidating at first, but starts to make sense once you start playing around with it.

So, I just got the switch, got it installed, and paired with my C7.

What I'm trying to do is set the LED to Red-Pulsing (always full bright) when the system is armed-away.

Set the LED to Red solid when Armed "Home" or Night (always at a set brightness).

Set the LED to Yellow Flashing (full bright) when any door is open.

Those seem to work well as notifications. However, I'm at a loss on the rest:

If all the outside doors are LOCKED, I want the LED to be Green (about 30% if the load is off, 100% if the load is on).

If any outside door is unlocked, I want the LED to be Blue (about 30% if the load is off, 100% if the load is on.

Because, for these last two situations, I want the LED to dim according to the thing it is switching, it doesn't seem like a "notification" will work (they have a fixed level, etc.).

Also. When is that "child device" needed? Is it still needed? Things seemed to work fine without it and adding it didn't seem to change much.

Thanksl

You could combine setNotification in an “IF...” statement and have it set two diff values - one with 30% and another with 100%. You can get the values from Inovelli Switch Toolbox.

Since the switch has control over the LED and settings to allow it to have an "On" brightness and an "Off" brightness and a color--I was looking for a way to set those properly.

It would be much less efficient if I had to incorporate "On/Off" LED setting logic for each of my Inovelli switches and dimmers--so I'm hoping that isn't necessary and that I can just set the "default" values from the hub.

Thanks.

If you set the default level when off to 30% (Parameter 15) and 100% (Parameter 14) in the device configuration, then your rule would work with only the setColor command. However, if you want the default levels (regardless of door open/close etc.) to be something different, then the level when off will always be what is set in the configuration.

The startNotification() and stopNotification(), however override the LED level (whether the switch is on or off). When the stopNotification() command is sent, it sets the LED back to what is in the configuration.

I have a similar rule except that I don't change the levels when the switch is off or on but you could add that condition

Am I missing something in what you are trying to do?

That sounds close.

I was wanting to set those default values. Thanks!

Inovelli's custom driver has a way to set the color of the "regular" (non-notification) LED. Hubitat's driver doesn't. Either driver will work for more or less this same purpose if you just set the notification LED to the "solid" effect with whatever color you want an an indefinite time as long as you're on relatively recent switch/dimmer firmware. The original shipping version cleared the notifications when the device was physically or digitally manipulated (it can still be cleared now but only by double-tapping the config button, which is the intent of such a double-tap in the first place). So for most purposes now, I'd say they're similar. Like you however, I prefer manipulating the actual "regular" LED for this--plus if you have a Black Series device, it helps you get pseudo-notifications out of them too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep - I’m doing that on one of the Black series. The only issue is that I had to bump the LED off level to 30% (I had it at 10%) to actually have the change be visible. With startNotification on the Red series, I don’t need to do that.

Have you tried this app? I use it to set all my notifications and it works great!

No, but I sorted it out (had to set the right parms).

Now, I have a (Rule Manager) app that pushes what I need to them (and, indeed, they are a lot like a dashboard :slight_smile: ).

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.