Inovelli Red Fan/Light switches...preorders shipping

I don't know how many here pre-ordered the Inovelli Red Series Fan/Light switches, but I got notification today that my pre-order shipped, so I presume others should be getting their hands on theirs soon!

S.

6 Likes

Got mine notice today also!

3 Likes

Got my also!

3 Likes

Same here ... Exciting time!

2 Likes

I have TWO pre-orders of the HA "holy grail" on their way to me!

Time to shop for at least one replacement fan before the switches arrive.....

2 Likes

Me too....if all goes well, I'll order a few more.

1 Like

Yeah, my order has 2 as well. I figured 1 would be fine, but if it worked, I'd really want 2, and if that worked...3 or 4, but my budget cut out at 2 :slight_smile:

S.

1 Like

I saw the fan/light switch and figured I could try it out. All our ceiling fans already have controls but only 1 is combined and it is a Hampton Bay module (not their fan though) that I am not thrilled with lately.

1 Like

Four rooms in my house have one-wire ceiling fans (and no ceiling access to re-wire), and I have been searching for this "holy grail" for years. Since I was not familiar with Inovelli, I pre-ordered one...along with ordering three Red Series switches. After seeing how nice the Red Series switches were and watching small companies like Hubitat and Inovelli suddenly having out-of-stock problems due to COVID supply chain interruptions, I went back and did another pre-order for the remaining three light/fan switches that I need assuming that there may be issues with getting them from the regular post-release channels.

Long story short, I have a total of four coming in. According to their site, they printed all of the shipping labels yesterday and will apparently start boxing/shipping today. They were optimistic that the switches would be in some people's hands for this weekend's projects, but I'm thinking more like next Tuesday here in NY State given recent USPS shipping times from Michigan and surrounding states.

My first install will be on a fan that has seized motor bearings, so I seriously need to get off my butt this weekend and buy a replacement fan to install the canopy controller in!!!!!

3 Likes

Hey, another New Yorker! At least shipping from other states is still allowed, although Michigan is not on our quarantine list.

I only have one fan that is stuck with one wire... The one in my hobby room/office that has the Hampton Bay! So that will be where I try this out. The other 3 we have I was able to access all the wiring (I put in those because they were accessible from the attic) and made sure they had separate wires for each. Although we have a couple bathroom fans that are single wire... not sure if this would work there yet.

1 Like

Got my LZW36 today and already installed it. Not very different from the one it replaced, although one less wire (the Bay has a neutral to the mount AND a neutal wire to the fan itself) which could be a plus or minus dependent.

Overall it went pretty smoothly until I accidentally reset the pairing between the switch and the fan module (I mistook that part of the instructions as the Z-Wave pairing). Oops. But I got them working again.

I will say this... and it is just my personal preference... but the Inovelli drivers have TOO MANY PREFERENCES! I know you guys want to make everything available AND describe what it does. That is all understandable. But it is just too overwhelming as presented. I have already edited the driver to add a couple preferences (!) to HIDE sections of the preferences, like I do with my own drivers. This makes the page seem a bit more reasonable.

Have not used it long enough for much more feedback at this time, but so far, so good.

1 Like

My two shipments took different paths from Michigan to NY State. One appears to have come across I-90, and is sitting in Albany, NY. The other one appears to have come across I-80, and is sitting in Newark, NJ. They are still both on schedule for Monday deliveries...and I still haven't purchased a replacement fan yet for my first install location!!!!! :fire:

Gack! Just got a notice today that mine weren't really shipped....going to be delayed.

S.

Somehow I kept messing mine up such that the switch buttons would not work (they would not control the light, but presses were recognized as events) but I could control the light and fan in Hubitat. Not sure how but I guess I must have somehow disabled the direct switch control (a big no-no for us) but I specifically set it in preferences and everything seems to work fine.

Still good! I can only hope that whoever buys this house after us is OK with home automation because I am not going to want to go back through and remove everything. That is why anything wired has to be able to act like the "dumb" thing it is replacing, even without the Hubitat.

3 Likes

Anyone know if Inovelli is selling RF modules separately? I have 3 outdoor patio fans In close proximity that I would like to control with a single switch (all lights and fan speeds sync).

That's a great question! I have 2 fans on one switch in my Living room. I'm using HBFCs in there now, and it works fine, but I'm using a dumb switch for them. Assuming the inovellis work as expected, two RF Modules and 1 switch would be brilliant.

S.

Might be best to post it on their forum under the fan controller... but you could always try to ask @Eric_Inovelli directly here.

1 Like

I totally blew past the note that the canopy module and switch should already be paired at the factory. I did the Zwave inclusion and the switch and fan were working together but the lights were flickering in the fan. I thought maybe I needed to synch them so followed those steps and didn't need to.

1 Like

My two shipments (4 switches total) arrived today. Yes, the holy grail of HA is finally in my hands!!! I picked up my new (replacement) fan on Sunday, and was happy to see that the canopy controller should comfortably fit into the housing.

A crazy idea popped into my head last night. Instead of trying to wrestle a bunch of wire nuts into the canopy, I think that I am going to use crimp-on insulated blade connectors on the stranded wires between the fan and controller:

They meet the temperature and current ratings, and apparently are acceptable under code inside an appliance or even in a switch/outlet box with stranded wire. It will make everything so much cleaner to only have the three wire nuts on the solid romex to wrestle back into the box, and pay dividends later if I ever need to take the fan down for maintenance or to paint the ceiling when I only have to pop the three blade connectors and not touch the wire nuts.....

@nicksgaragesd:
I know, right? I did it thinking it was part of the pairing process for the Z-Wave, but still. Maybe version 2.0 of the instructions can just have that part in the troubleshooting section since you should not NEED to do it.

@vreihen:
I switched mine to the snap-closed lever variety of connector. A bit bulky but it was much easier to deal with while I had the fan hanging there, especially since in my case that electrical box is where there are multiple other wires connecting... so my neutral has 5 connections. A bit much for a normal wire nut.

1 Like