Inovelli 4 in 1 sensor

Correct, provided you aren't relying on cloud services for your automations. You can use Rule machine to control a Z-Wave power strip such as the Zooz Zen 20 based on the Inovelli 4-in-1 Sensor.

One recommendation would be powering the sensor using a USB cable instead of the battery. This will allow you to reduce the reporting thresholds without fear of killing the battery. The Zen 20 has built in USB ports that can be used for this purpose.

Keep in mind these devices aren't designed for "outdoor" applications, so you should keep them protected water. One thing you don't mention is the distance between where the hub will live and the greenhouse. This could present range issues for the devices. I would recommend having repeaters (or repeating devices) as close to each other within the respective buildings. If possible try to only use z-wave plus devices for best performance.

Regarding the other devices, there are various ways to integrate those. What is your end goal and we can try to recommend options for you.

This is a little off topic, but I guess it is the Lounge.

So what exactly is going on with your sensor?

It may not be the same brand but it is the same type of sensor. What's going on is that I am following instructions in the product manual and hubitat documentation and I'm having no success connecting the two devices. I must have tried at least 20 times yesterday if not more, and got the same result each time. Thanks to hubitat I am learning what Einstein meant when he defined insanity. This product is specifically listed as a compatible device and there are instructions provided by hubitat that are in agreement with monoprice's documentation. The reply from hubitat support regarding this device was the same as the reply I received regarding the faulty geofence capabilities of their mobile app. "Your issue has been referred to our engineering team. Further replies to this ticket will not receive a response." It seems to me like my support requests have fallen into a black hole. I am not impressed.

The only thing in common is that it is Zwave.

Please list everything you tried. Did you reboot the hub at any point, for example? Have you sucessfully paired other Zwave devices? How close are you to the hub when pairing? Do you have other Zwave devices? Are you in USA/Canada? Blinking flashing lights on sensor?

Not that we can fix it every time, but in the future asking the community after the 3-4 time of failing might be a good intermediate step while you are awaiting official support. There are times where we can get you up and running faster than support.

There are lots of reasons you might not be able to pair a sensor. You could even have a bad sensor. I assume that support thought this was a higher level problem, and not just a simple fix, and that is why they escalated your ticket to engineering. It takes time to duplicate and investigate issues, and you cannot expect immediate fixes if they cannot duplicate your issue.

1 Like

The devices discussed in this thread detect the same four things and use the same Z-Wave protocol. I have done nothing other than follow written instructions from hubitat and monoprice to the letter. I haven't rebooted anything. Hubitat needs to proofread its documentation. The spelling and grammar mistakes are numerous and atrocious. Sometimes I think I'm reading a bad translation of something written in a foreign language.

So you didn't answer the question "Please list everything you tried.".

So lets go one by one.

• Have you paired any Zwave devices prior to this? Did that work?

When you asked me to list everything I've tried, I logically assumed you meant with this particular device. Of course I have paired several Z-Wave devices in the past with no difficulty, both with hubitat and other hubs. I have found hubitat to be unpredictable and unreliable and its manufacturer to be unsupportive and unresponsive.

My posting above asked this exact question.

The reason we ask, is we don't know the history of your hub or what you have on there. Nobody, not even support, can see what you have on your hub so we need some context. It could be the very first device you are trying to pair, for example. I was trying to see if other devices could include, and if the Zwave radio was working at all.

Being able to include other devices and having a history of doing so is a good sign it is probably not the hub itself at fault, or probably not the Hubitat software. It is more likely the sensor itself.

Ok, so next, what do you see the sensor doing? Does it blink or flash or give any indication of activity on the sensor itself?

Did you try new batteries? It wouldn't be the first time a new device had low or dead batteries.

Did you try EXCLUSION before INCLUSION? Did that give any messages when you did an exclusion?

At this point I've tried everything but switching out the batteries. I currently have 7 Z-Wave devices active on my network. 2 plug-in switches, 2 hinge pin style door sensors and 3 smoke detectors. I also have 3 lutron caseta dimmer switches, 5 lutron caseta pico remotes, 2 Google home mini devices and several other smart home devices that are not compatible with hubitat. I thought hubitat would make home automation easier by taking control of all the devices and taking the internet out of the equation, when in reality it has made home automation more difficult, more stressful, and less enjoyable.

That's a bummer.. sorry to hear of your issues. Sounds incredibly frustrating.

I've had the opposite experience with HE.. the majority of my issues have been my fault - a combination of bad devices, over-complicated rules, installation of certain custom apps and drivers, bad mesh network setup etc. I run about 150+ devices both zigbee and zwave and have 3 hubs.

I came from Smart Things originally and while the "appearance" of stability was there but looking back it was really not the case - routines would stop working, devices periodically would not respond or respond very slowly then work. Was just not as responsive as HE.

I care less about stability than I do about a company that supports its product. I am very nervous about doing things that the "community" suggests, because if something gets broken as a result I'm out of luck. I would rather get my support from the manufacturer because if something gets broken, they can fix or replace it.

Well the good news is anything the community recommends is usually just "soft changes" like additional drivers/apps, z-wave repairs and running inclusions/exclusions and config changes so realistically a "restore from backup" or "hard reset" away from a recovery - no way to "break" things as far as I can tell. Can't imagine any of those would void a warranty but dunno.. didn't look at the fine print all that closely.

The rest of the recommendations usually involve relocating your hub, moving around your devices, adding repeaters or factory resetting them so would only impact those specific devices. Even then a factory reset shouldn't void those warranties either.

I guess swapping out a power supply or pulling the plug without shutting down might be considered dangerous though..

2 Likes

I had an extra one of these Monoprice sensors. Actually is one I had previously used, wasn't happy with, and removed.

I tried to pair it with Hubitat. It did not pair the first time, but I was probably at least 50 feet from the hub. I got within about 10 foot of the hub, and tried again and it paired virtually instantly. So this sensor does work, and it will pair in Hubitat, although it is a bit more picky to join than some other devices that I have used.

I really think that you have a bad sensor, or a sensor that needs batteries. Sorry that you are so unhappy, but I don't think this is Hubitat's fault.

1 Like

I've had one of these for about 3 months and I won't get another. I'm getting maybe 10' detection range. By far the worst of any motion sensors I've tried.

While the Iris v2 is as great as everyone has said I need that kind of sensitivity and illuminance with a decent range (say 0-50, min) in 1 device and I haven't found it yet.

I may have mentioned this already (I have a short loop) but in my basement I replaced 3 usb powered Aeotec MS6's with usb powered Inovellis. They have been are working well and are maybe a little faster than the MS6's. I like that they do not repeat. I don't have an illuminance requirement for that location.

I do have a usb powered MS6 mounted on an exterior wall with a clear plastic weatherproof cover. I've been using that for illuminance detection for at least 2 years so far and it's been surprisingly reliable.

HELP!

I need some help understanding the luminance setting.
What does the Luminance Threshold do?
It does not mean "only report lux above 300", "only report lux below 300", or "only report when lux changes by 300". I say this because the device events don't support any of these.
The setting was entered days ago so the settings are updated in the device.

The Threshold will force an update when the lux goes up or down by that much. otherwise you will just get the regularly scheduled updates.

Note that besides the setting in your screenshot above, there is another setting for luminance reporting interval. If you notice your sensor seding reports when the change is less than the specified threshold (the description for which above is correct as far as I can tell from the docs), then that would be the other factor to take into account. Whether the device woke up to receive the configuration is another, but it sounds like you've waited long enough that this should have happened.

The setting I'm talking about doesn't appear to be exposed in Hubitat's native driver, but it looks like you're using Bryan's custom driver, where it is. There's also always the Basic Z-Wave Tool if you want to compare a specific parameter value against something from the manual.

Thanks all, I get it now. Time to explore the Basic Z-Wave Tool.

:exploding_head:

I'll have to look into that. I have Innovelli 4 in 1's that I haven't used yet, but that sounds simple enough to piece together!