Innr SP224 and SP234 - Zigbee OTA Firmware Upgrades

The Innr SP224 and SP234 plugs have both had problems with periodically dropping off Zigbee networks. It turns out there were some firmware bugs. Innr has recently publicly released their OTA and encouraged users to update.

Files are available here:

Github issue for context w/ Innr employee (Gerry) providing the firmware:

@mike.maxwell Could you make these available as Hubitat OTA upgrades?

3 Likes

Ooh, this would be great! My Sengled NB-7s are working well, but having another solid power-reporting option (234) would be welcome. I have a couple that I took out due to the dropping issue.

I haven't had drops on my 224s, but I'll happily take a f/w update on those too.

Thanks for sharing this - hopefully Mike can get 'em loaded up!

1 Like

Images should be available now!

7 Likes

You da man - thanks Mike! Update to 27016A30 on my active 224s is chuggin' along - one down, 7 to go.

Thanks again!

Thank you!

1 Like

Okay, I'll bite! I'm lost as to firmware updating this. My two 224's show as manufacture INNR, using Generic Zigbee Outlet. I have the firmware updater file... "1166-0312-27016A30-upgradeMe.zigbee" but the update firmware option does not show up in Hubitat's "Device Firmware Updater" app. So how do I update these two plugs, please?

thanks!

Jann

It may be easier than you think.....on the device page for the 224 there should be a button that is labeled "Update Firmware"....click this button and watch the logs to see what happens.

FYI....this button only occurs on Zigbee devices and may or may not be functional depending on the device. This is what @mike.maxwell was referring to in his post above.

Edit....This button only works for selected zigbee devices where Hubitat was able to acquire the firmware.

3 Likes

Well, I’m feeling a little dumb. I’ve followed Sakman’s advice above and gone to the device page. From there I can see the following detail on the device:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 31
  • firmwareMT: 1166-0313-31016610
  • manufacturer: innr
  • model: SP 234
  • powerCluster: 0B04
  • softwareBuild: 31016610

I check the logs and see it is active.

I press the “Update Firmware” button and… nothing. Nothing in the logs. Nothing changes in the device detail. I’m obviously missing a configuration detail?

My 224s all updated fine; I haven't tried to update a 234, but I'd expect it would work too.

When you click "Update Firmware" on the device's setting page and then click in Logs to watch progress, give it some time...

Going in to Logs brings you to the current/live Logs view by default -- there may not be anything there immediately. I will usually click into Past Logs quick to see if there's an acknowledgement that the Update command went through. Then I go back to Current/live Logs and monitor progress -- it can take several minutes.

IIRC, the Innrs showed f/w update progress in 10% intervals in the logs.

1 Like

This time, I unplugged the switch and plugged it back in. Double checked everything. I went back into the device details and hit “Update Firmware”, and checked Live Logs. This is what I got:

[sys:1]…Firmware for DECO_007 (Snowman), innr 1166-0313-31016610 is up to date.

If I’m correct, the updated FW ends in 6A30, so somehow my hub is not seeing the update on the server where it expects to find it?

Ending with 6A30 is for the 224. What yours is showing for the 234 is correct.

2 Likes

The file we have is for part id 0312 your device is 0313...

1 Like

Thanks Mike. That help.

I’ll go back to Innr support. They directed me to this post for the upgrade. Let me see if I can shake another update loose from them.

All,

Just to close on this, I’ve learned this from Innr

"ImageType 0312 is the SP 224, and 0313 is the SP 234.“

So for an SP 234, device details in Hubitat when updated correctly should look like this:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 31
  • firmwareMT: 1166-0313-31016610
  • manufacturer: innr
  • model: SP 234
  • powerCluster: 0B04
  • softwareBuild: 31016610

Software build 31016610 IS the correct version and contains the fixes for the power reporting as well as dropping off the zigbee network. Of the units I had, the two new ones still in the box came with this version. Others were behind rev. I updated them through Hubitat and they updated to this release successfully. All 7 are now running without incident for over two weeks.

So to reiterate: The SP224 update should end in 6A30. The SP234 should end in 6610.

Thanks for the help.

4 Likes

Thanks for this post! I have a SP 234 that was dropping off my hubitat mesh so I added it to my Hue bridge thinking it might fare better there. Same problem.

I was able to add it back to hubitat and update the firmware and now my Hue bridge is correctly reporting it as firmware 3.1 instead of 2.8. Fingers crossed it’s good now and from the sounds of it I will be.

1 Like

I brought my 2 mothballed 234s back online a few weeks ago, did the firmware update, and they've been working great - both in terms of power-reporting features and acting as good repeaters.

My numerous 224s are also still rockin' as dependable repeaters too.

3 Likes