InfluxDB Issue

Awesome! Have fun!

1 Like

Awesome! Looks like I'm late to the Hubitat party... :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome @codersaur! Better late than never! You may want to check out InfluxDB data logging via NodeRed + Hubitat WebSockets. It seems to reduce the workload on the Hubitat hub.

2 Likes

This newer version of influxDB logger is crashing the hub. Has happened 3 times now. Do you have a copy of the previous version?

You can download all of the various versions from GitHub.

Try this link...

Hi

Newbie here to HE, just switched from ST. I get an error when trying to record logs to my local influxdb

postToInfluxDB(): Something went wrong! Response from InfluxDB: Status: 408, Headers: null, Data: null

The same setup was used for my previous ST, just added a new db with name 'Hubitat'.

Any help appreciated

SOLVED : By re-installing the app | no other change, i have no idea what might have caused the problem but everything is logged as it should*

I think I have this setup to record the logs in influxdb but I can’t seem to find them through Grafana. What am I missing?

Not so sure for what you're asking. You need help for setting up grafana datasource ?

Not an issue, but a request: is it possible to support a Virtual Fan Controller device in InfluxDB-Logger? I want to log my ventilators, which have different states (low, medium, high, on and off). But this device is not supported by Influxdb-logger.

I really apologize for asking a question that's probably answered among the hundreds of posts and multiple threads on InfluxDB, Node-RED and Grafana. I'm just not able to make sense of them all and I'm confused by why Node-RED is needed and how this all works.

I'm able to get reporting from my HEM out of HE via RM. I haven't tried, but it would appear I can get it into InfluxDB, and (please bare with me because I really don't have a good grasp on it all) import into Grafana from InfluxDB seems to be natively supported. Cloud accounts of Grafana seem to be free.

What am I not getting right? How does Node-RED enter into all this? Why is it necessary?
Please also forgive me if I've asked all this before. I really want these cool looking graphs from Grafana that y'all have, but I keep starting into this, getting overwhelmed, and walking away, just to return later with the same questions.

Good question and I will try to explain the situation as best I am able to.

History Lesson... Over on the ST Platform, a user created a SmartApp called InfluxDB Logger that could subscribe to all sorts of events from various devices, and as these events came in would be converted into an appropriate http call directly to a local server running InfluxDB.

Once Hubitat was launched, some users decided it would cool to port this smartapp to a Hubitat App. There was a version or two floating around the community, which eventually received some tweaks and updates and eventually landed in the Public Hubitat Community GitHub repository at GitHub - HubitatCommunity/InfluxDB-Logger. I was one of the people that enhanced the app by changing all synchronous http calls into Hubitat's (new at the time) asynchronous http calls. This was in response to the belief that this app was somewhat responsible for hub performance degradation over time. Since I had experienced this issue, and was using the app, I had a vested interest at the time.

Soon thereafter we saw the beginning of the interest in NodeRed as a means of monitoring the health of the hub and logging both Event and Live Log data via webSockets. It didn't take long for someone to use NodeRed to combine the Hubitat webSocket event data with InfluxDB. Since this removed the InfluxDB App from the Hubitat hub, and all of its http calls to InfluxDB, many found this to be an attractive solution to avoiding hub slowdowns (myself included.)

This is how NodeRed entered my home automation architecture. I have NodeRed, InfluxDB, and Grafana all hosted on an always on Windows 10 'Home Server'. This same system also runs a Plex Server, Channels DVR server, Ubiquiti Unifi Controller, file shares, backups, etc...

I have not moved any of my automations into Node Red. I only use it for monitoring the responsiveness of all three of my hubs, and for logging Hubitat InfluxDB data. The recent excitement for Node Red within the community has not intrigued me since my hubs are all running very smoothly.

Hopefully that helps. Things have changed since the early days of Hubitat, which is what makes this platform so interesting. We have amazing Hubitat developers as well as Community developers always coming up with new ways to accomplish things.

4 Likes

Thanks Dan. That helps shed some light on why I'm having such a difficult time following the threads.

I should probably start with getting InfluxDB running on a Pi and then see what I can do from there. I'd like to avoid adding Node-RED. Just looks too involved for my needs. Like you, I'm quite satisfied with my RM rules.

Appreciate the insight! :+1:

1 Like

I believe there's also a newer version of the InfluxDB logger app with some changes that may have helped to avoid contributing to hub slowdowns. Sorry I don't recall many of the details, but I wanna say @asj released that version?

1 Like

You may be thinking of this?

New Hubitat to InfluxDB Bridge via MakerAPI+Node [beta]

1 Like

yup, that was it.

I have the Hubitat to InfluxDB app running successfully on a Pi4, capturing tmeperature and humidity readings, including the temperature of my Pi4. Happy to give you a hand @SmartHomePrimer (or anyone else) if you need it.

Simon

1 Like

Thanks so much for the offer. I will dig into it in the next few days and give a holler if I'm drowning. :+1:

1 Like

If you aren’t using it to automagically download your daily hub backups you should. :grin: @stephack helped me a while ago with NodeRed flows and this was one of them. Since then I am up to 4 production hubs and a dev hub and backups are all downloaded and 30 days worth are kept.

1 Like

I’d be interested in knowing how you’ve accomplished this in node red.

@sburke781 I’d love to get this working. However I’m trying to stay away from rpi for running these types of things and would love to get this working in a node container in my QNAP NAS. It eludes me yet however... makes me sad because I really would like to get data out of my hub. I just haven’t had any time with working 30 hours OT a week right now with covid in full force.