[INCIDENT] ZOOZ Double Plug (MODEL ZEN25)

I seem to be having the issue with multiple events being reported. How do I tell whether it is included without security encryption and what firmware version it is? I'm on the device page and I don't see any indication for either.

You can see the security info of your devices by going to the Hubitat Settings menu and then clicking on Z Wave Details.

The firmware version is listed at the bottom of the device details page next to the Data heading.

1 Like

I recently had just one updated Zen 25 start crashing my mesh within about 12 hours of adding it to my mesh with power reporting disabled.

Thanks, so here is the information I see under Z-wave details:

0x61 (097) 40963 40960 in: 0x5E, 0x25, 0x85, 0x8E, 0x59, 0x55, 0x86, 0x72, 0x5A, 0x73, 0x70, 0x71, 0x32, 0x9F, 0x60, 0x6C, 0x7A, out: Holiday Lights Foyer 2022-02-16 7:33:42pm CST

I'm not clear on the security information, but I don't think it lists any. Am I looking in the right place?

I did find the firmware version on the device details page, though.

@Krishna
Don't you have a C-5? If that's correct, then you don't need to worry about the Zen25.

1 Like

Yes, I do have the C-5, but why would that mean I don't have to worry about this device? It's constantly sending me messages about excess events and I'm trying to fix problems that could be using up Hubitat resources.

Because the issues caused by the Zen25 are specific to the C-7.

1 Like

Does this mean I can safely ignore the messages about excessive events being generated by this device? I'm only concerned because periodically my Hubitat seems to slow down, become unresponsive, and needs to be rebooted. I'm trying to troubleshoot why and identify any problems like this that might be taking up processing power.

How often?

Around every 2-3 months, I'd say.

Definitely don't worry about it.

Is this slowing down and needing to reboot thing something that many Hubitat users experience? I was under the impression that it shouldn't do that.

Many users choose to reboot on a schedule. I reboot mine once every 45 days (or if there's a platform update).

1 Like

You can still probably do something about this. What are the events? The "Events" tab on the device will show you recent (depending on your settings) history. With a device like this, it's likely power monitoring. Consider disabling those features on this device entirely if you aren't using these attributes for anything. The Z-Wave issued are specific to the C-7, but on any Z-Wave network, your network will probably be happier without the extra trafficking regardless.

Regarding the events, I found this after just waiting a few minutes in the log section. Looks like a bunch of notifications that the outlet is off (named Holiday Lights Foyer). Don't know why it needs to tell me over and over again that it's off. Especially since we are off-season and this isn't even being used.

I found a setting called "power reporting frequency" in device details page that is set to 30 seconds. Could this be the problem setting?

If you're not using power reporting for anything, I would turn it off. If you are using it, reduce the frequency as much as your application will tolerate.

To be honest, I don't think I'm using it for anything. Do devices or Hubitat or any sort of automation depend on this kind of power reporting? I changed it from 5 seconds to 5 minutes for now.

You can use the power value to trigger automations or track overall energy use, but nothing is "automatically" using this data.

2 Likes

Here are my settings for the Zen25 on a C-5. I don't use power reporting so have set it to max (once a day). I have also turned off the description text logging and only turn it on if I want to troubleshoot something.

3 Likes