[INCIDENT] ZOOZ Double Plug (MODEL ZEN25)

With the reporting disabled (parameter 18) I had no issues at all.
I currently have the reporting turned back on again with some adjusted parameters Zooz wanted me to try, so far it seems to be working. We cant figure out what exactly triggers the voltage spamming yet. I think the voltage spamming is what was causing my intermittent mesh issues.

One thing I do know for sure, if the wattage threshold is set relatively low and your device fluctuates every single time it hits the threshold ALL the metrics get reported each in a separate message, so if this is every couple minutes it could bog things down.

I will fire up a zniffer on my server and let it sit for a few hours and then see if any other garbage I cant see on Hubitat is being sent out by these plugs.

Did you ever get this done and see anything.

I got one to do some testing myself. One thing I have noticed is that it would be good if we could turn off power reporting by plug. It looks like it is a all or nothing. What i mean by that if power reporting is turned on not only do i get the Wattage for each outlet, but also the Volts, and wattage for the whole device, amps(Current) for the entire device, power usage over time for the entire device. You can't turn those on or off individually. Are all of those values included with each zwave message or do they generate separate messages. I can see how that could possibly flood the network. Especially if you sett the power reporting value to a very low number like 1 watt.

@agnes.zooz It would be great if we could tell the device to only report just the values we want like the left plug power usage and just not send all of the other power stats.

Yes I ran it for around 8 hours I think. Did not see anything out of the ordinary in there.

All a separate zwave message for every metric, and some are reported for each plug and collectively (endpoint 0) as 3 separate reports. One of my main observations is that when the wattage threshold is met it reports ALL metrics instead of just the new wattage. If this simple bug was fixed you could then set the other metrics to 12+ hours if you do not care about them and only get the wattage reports as it changes if you need it for rules or monitoring.

Also, if multiple metrics are being reported all at once, having a built in metering with a small delay between each report would likely also help.

As for people reporting issues even with the reporting totally disabled, I am not really sure what it is doing to cause a problem. Only theory is that maybe it is just a bad repeater and depending on where it is in the mesh it might start acting as a repeater for a lot of devices and then causing a route change storm if it is not repeating properly (or too slowly).

What do I need to do to get a zwave sniffer going? I don't seem to be having problems with 3 Z25's and a C7 btw

Something to ask FW team to look at, @agnes.zooz?

This guide would get you going. Need to invest in a UZB3 which will be converted. The software is free. Z-Wave Sniffing, Zniffing And You: A Guide To Pulling Packets From Thin Air

Do you have reporting disabled on your ZEN25's (parameter 18)? Also what type loads do you have connected? Lamps, small appliances, etc...? I seem to have the most issues with one connected to a phone charging block. It is only 60watts max but it reports all sorts of crazy stuff randomly. Going to try and swap it out for another one to see if its the device or the load.

1 Like

@agnes.zooz

So i just added my zen25 into a area to do further testing with more traffic. What I have dones is set it with the below settings

One thing I have noticed is just like @jtp10181 stated. One thing I have noticed outside of earlier comments is that it seems the timed reporting happens reguardless of the if Power reporting threshold(configval2) is triggered.

• resyncAll : false
  • configVal1 : 0
  • configVal2 : 50
  • configVal3 : 180
  • configVal4 : 3600
  • configVal5 : 3600
  • configVal6 : 3600
  • configVal7 : 10
  • configVal8 : 0
  • configVal9 : 60
  • pendingSwitch3 :
  • configVal11 : 60
  • pendingSwitch0 :
  • configVal10 : 0
  • pendingSwitch1 :
  • pendingSwitch2 :
  • configured : true
  • configVal15 : 60
  • configVal14 : 0
  • configVal13 : 60
  • configVal12 : 0
  • configVal18 : 0
  • configVal17 : 1
  • energyTime : 1654113485041
  • configVal16 : 1

I really think the problem is largely caused by folks using a value that is way to low for the power reporting value and this device checking that wattage way to frequently.

Using my example of configs above where I have it set to report on every 50 Watts. I saw where the Zen25 spammed my hub with 4 sets of 3 messages for 4 seconds. It was basically as the device ramped up to full power. The fact it reported so many times really highlights how fast the zen25 can send out power data.

I would think if they can put a way to metter the power reporting to maybe max 1 report of every 5,10,15,30 seconds then atleast it wouldn't spam as fast as it can detect the increase. They should also probably have the timer for reporting on interval reset any time the device reports based on power change. I saw several occasions where I had a few reports based on power change and then within some seconds the 3 min interval report kicked in. Lastly amps and voltage should have a way to only report on Interval and not with the Power report threshold.

That said we as users really need to use appropriate power reporting threshold numbers. You shouldn't use low Power report threshold values unless your connected devices really don't use much power at all. Allot of devices will fluctuate a bit when in use and a number to low will blow up the hub with reports.

Screenshot_20220602-152944_Chrome

We will see how long this works now that it is added to my C-7 with more devices.

Ya it should not be so sensitive. Maybe a way to set a range to only report if one of the values changes by more than X?

Or just an option to turn it off all together, Not everyone needs or wants that reporting.

2 Likes

Well i think every metric should be able to be enabled or disabled independently. But the point of that request was to only allow any power reporting that is re-triggered after a given time. Lets call it a cool down period.

That is exactly what the power reporting value does.

The load i put on the plug in that test is probably one that pushes the sen25 near it's limits. My point was the quantity of calls that occured even when set to needing a 50 watt change to trigger a report.

I could set it to something more reasonable for that load like 200, or maybe even 500 watts.

The point is more about simply how fast it triggered more zwave messages and the quantity. I can easily see how if someone set the wattage value to low it could blow up there hub.

You can disable power reporting on firmware 2.0 on either outlet or both.

Thanks for the detailed feedback @mavrrick58, we'll definitely look into disabling any reports based on time intervals, hopefully this will help the edge cases as well.

I Don't see that. I see disabling the power reporting threshold, however power, energy, voltage and electrical current reporting frequency do not allow disabling. A value must be selected ( I assume there is a default value assigned when it joins the mesh). Previously I had those set to 24 hours with the reporting threshold reporting disabled, and it would cause the mesh to begin slowing withing a few hours

I went ahead and re-added one of these outlets to see if I was missing something. Here is the data on it

Here is how it Joined by default

Here are the current logs as it joined, with reporting threshold disabled , and no frequency set on the other 4. And to clarify, this is on a C7.

@lcw731

Can you post a screen shot of the config values for the device. One thing i have found is sometimes the selectable values don't show how it is actually configured. This is the part of the display that looks like

When i look at the configuration value in the preferences section it shows disabled for me, but in that image above you can see that it is set to 50watts. 50 is what i inteded to set it to.

Here is what it come up as by default

So in your image you have configVal2 set to 0 which will disable power reporting based on change in power. On the other side of the reporting you also have configVal3 set to 30 which tells it to report every 30 seconds reguardless of change. You need to change the conig value for that to a larger vlaue. That config value correlates to configuration on the device for "Power Report Frequency"

That does seem to correlate to what you are showing in the logging which means it is working correctly based on how it is set.

1 Like

you should also be able to set configVal18(parameter18) to 1 which will disable all power reporting as i understand it. I think the procedure for that is covered earlier in this thread.

1 Like

Can you explain this. This isn't in the documentation I can find. I know Parameter 18 is suppose to disabled it completely. Power reporting by threshold can be set to zero based on documentation and that disables that, but all of the power reporting options don't seem to allow 0 to disable them. Or atleast that is what is shown in manual provided with the outlet.

1 Like

Pretty sure its not possible, I have scanned the parameters and 18 is the highest one, everything below that is accounted for and documented.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: That is why I am asking. I can't see anything that says the outlets are configurable independently.

1 Like