In case you missed it! A sneak peek into the near future

I hope, LAN could fail, need to maintain state.

I doubt it has any redundancy or resilience. I expect that it will rely on stable lan communication. Missed packets are likely missed events.

Not sure what it does on reboots / loss of communication. I'll try to poke around on that later.

:point_up_2:This one..

There will be opportunity to join the next beta.

1 Like

To answer my own question...

After a reboot (or extended loss of communication) all linked devices are disabled and marked as OFFLINE until the Hub Mesh re-establishes connection (took maybe 30-60s to re-establish the link after a reboot). After that it looks like it re-transmits the current status of linked devices.

I did test changing states on a few of the linked devices while hub #2 was rebooting. After the link was re-established it had the correct state.

So they stay in sync on loss of communication.

EDIT: Although interestingly it did NOT make an event when it synced the status. So if you used the linked device as a trigger for some logic, it would not trigger until the next state change.

5 Likes

In the video they talked about large apartments using Hubitat. Does anyone know what that use case is?

If lighting, do we know what are the device types since I assume those are very robust and well tested?

If not lighting, it still would be interesting to know. I would assume itā€™s not zwave since the mesh in that type of building would be hard. Are they lan devices and available to consumers?

I've seen one 'smart' apartment as a renter. Perhaps quite obviously, it appeared as if they set it up to automate the property management, but the tenant also got some benefit, as well.

On the property side, they automated access management (smart locks,) HVAC (smart thermostat,) and protection (flood sensors.) On the tenant side, they installed 2 smart switches (and only 2, but the 2 were conceivably the 'most used' in most cases.) The tenant had an app that did give access/visibility to all devices, including the lock, thermostat, and flood sensors, but there was no admin access, again probably obviously.

On the tech side, they installed a hub in each unit, connected to a central WiFi setup. Everything else appeared to be Z-Wave. The thermostat (Honeywell T6) and smart lock (Yale touchpad) were, but I didn't closely examine the switches or flood sensors to determine their exact details. The hub appeared to be proprietary, but it could have easily been a consumer board in a custom shell.

1 Like

This is interesting, as when I refresh/sync in HubConnect, I get like 50 notifications because all these devices are triggering rules. Could be nice, but I guess also if one hub was down for a bit, you might want the triggering.

I have worked with industrial wireless mesh for over a decade, and they have very high security. They can and do make redundant controllers. Zigbee and zwave can do it as well. The trick is they must have essentially a ā€œvirtualā€ controller thatā€™s cloned across the 2 ā€œredundantā€ controllers. The ā€œbackupā€ controller simply listens to traffic and monitors the ā€œactiveā€ controller. When the active controller fails, the backup simply picks up where primary left off. Nothings actually perfect in these scenarios, and often, this simply works for only a single cutover. At this point, you must immediately repair or replace the failed unit (they donā€™t ā€œself resolveā€), as you no longer have redundancy. Either way, even in this scenario, upon cutover, the mesh does technically have to ā€œre-buildā€ to the ā€œbackupā€ controller, so itā€™s really not instantaneous.

1 Like

Will C5 see Zwave enhancements?

For ZWAVE I wouldn't expect anything other than major bug fixes (no new features - at least not big ones) on anything other than the C-7 at this point.

All hubs will continue to get platform level features, apps, drivers, and hub optimization.

4 Likes

@shircliffs

As @JasonJoel said, I also don't expect any enhancements to the z-wave stack in the C-5. However, I do expect there will be additional/new drivers for z-wave devices.

5 Likes

And, hopefully (according to email responses from support (@bobbyD) to the numerous support tickets I have submitted for the buggy ā€œAeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 Seriesā€ driver over the past months since it was introduced and the prior driver was Deprecated), bug fixes for existing drivers:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. This issue has been reported to our engineering team and they hope a fix will be released in the next update.

2 Likes