In case you missed it! A sneak peek into the near future

Should I hold off on installing Hubconnect?

My use case is two houses with a C7 in each.

The only thing I really need it for is because Alexa can only interface with one hub so I need all device from House 2 hub visible in House 1 hub.

From my understanding, unless your two houses are on the same subnet, you will not be able to use Hub Mesh. However, HubConnect will continue to work well in this situation.

1 Like

Correct. Hub Mesh is only for hubs on the same network.

4 Likes

Can 3 hubs on the same network be connected together? Rules on one, zigbee devices on the second and zwave on the third. Just wondering as this is how I'm doing it through Hubconnect.
Thanks.

1 Like

It certainly looks that way from the screenshots, so long as the hubs are on the same ethernet network. There's a dropdown menu shown to choose, so likely the limit will be higher than three.

1 Like

Yes. I have 3 hubs meshed together right now.

2 Likes

How do you transfer rules/automations between hubs?

Someone else will have to answer that, as I don't use Hubitat for my rules/automtaion.

Depends on how good your networking skills are :wink:

An EoIP tunnel could accomplish this.

But would obviously be beyond the designed scope of the solution.

2 Likes

Touche. :slight_smile:

Maybe I should have said hubs in the same multicast domain? Or something to that effect.

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

2.2.4 will have the ability to backup and restore RMs. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Any way to get on the beta team :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

They have said in various places that they aren't taking any more beta testers for now. They either have sufficient number of testers, or they are far enough along that they don't need additional feedback.

3 Likes

How is the speed with the Hub Mesh app when relaying commands? When do we estimate a release for this? Very excited! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have to admit I have hit the check for updates button at least three times today even though I know they won’t release on a Saturday and I am also subscribed to the thread so I would get an email.

3 Likes

This is all very exciting news!

A comment and a question:

If Hub Mesh has to be on the same subnet, and you really desire to use it between two location, then you could always setup a VPN between the two locations via a router that supports it. This will place the hubs on the same network (if configured that way) and allow for Hub Mesh to work. That said, I have no idea as to how resilient Hub Mesh is (i.e. - does it use TCP, which assures a packet is transmitted reliably vs UDP which sends and forgets).

The question I have is related to the failover and not being able to join the Zigbee/Z-Wave devices different hubs. Is there any way to spoof the hardware address of the Zigbee/Z-Wave interface on the hub in a similar way to computer networking?

That would only be true if your VPN connection passes multicast - most don't by default, but some can if configured to do so.

Complicated topic. As a practical answer - not really. A more complicated answer - technically yes in some VERY limited scenarios. And it gets much more complicatged when security/encryption is used, as you would have to have a way of getting the security keys off the hub - which you can't easily do for.... Security reasons. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is Hub Mesh built using TCP or UDP?

I haven't loked at every part of it, but it definitely uses multicast, which is obviously udp. Whether it also uses TCP as well for certain functions - I don't know for sure (but I don't think so).

1 Like