'In bed' sensor for purchase wanted

You program the Arduino compatible microcontroller using the free Arduino IDE on any Windows, MAC OS, or Linux computer via USB.

If you've never done any Arduino programming, or microelectronics projects, this DIY Bed Presence might not be a good first project. It can be very frustrating trying to get it working reliably (electromechanically) and getting all of the software setup and working properly is not trivial if you're not familiar with C/C++ programming.

I am no longer using my own DIY solution as we changed our bed from a traditional queen to a split king bed, with power adjustable bases. Bed occupancy was interesting as a project, but I have put it on the back burner for now.

1 Like

Honestly, I ditched my bed sensors for the WiThings sleep pad. Works 100% of the time via IFTTT (5 second delay or so).

It’s not local, but it’s also not a critical automation, and it works. Wish I had more time to see if there’s a way to make it work locally.

4 Likes

I wanted to do something with my lights. If bedroom door opens turn on light depending on bed occupancy. I’d need local for that, or I def would

Edit: wouldn’t the ability to use it locally be Very very low. I’d imagine it’s value would go up 4x to $3-400. There’s Nothing local like it

By bed has built in sensor wit occupancy, but no way to expose it, BeautyRest smart motion

If that is what you need, then the 5 second delay from the bed sensor shouldn’t be an issue. You don’t need to poll the bed sensor (and wait 5 seconds) when the door opens. Unless there was a change in the state of the bed sensor within 5 seconds of the door opening, HE will already have the current state of the bed sensor.

Your rule only need to trigger on the door contact. Check if the bed sensor is indicating no one is in the bed and turn the light on. You’ll have less than 1 second delay with that rule. There is no need to poll the bed sensor for that and then incur the delay.

Disclaimer: I don’t have this bed sensor myself so I’m just assuming that the sensor would push events to HE rather than HE having to poll the sensor regularly for its state.
Having said that, even if you had to poll it, if the polling is set to every 2 minutes for example, it’s at worst going to turn the lights on when someone went to bed within the last two minutes. That may not be a deal breaker.

1 Like

You would pay $300-$400 for a local bed presence sensor?

For that much, I would think you could get someone to make one of the DIY solutions for you.

If you’re correct, I’m ordering one

The Withings sensor is brilliant. I have 2 for our main bed. I use IFTTT, which as mentioned above means a 4 or 5 second delay. I don't give a monkey's about the Cloud connection, but a local solution to avoid the delay would be good as long as it doesn't interrupt the excellent HealthMate functionality. They are expensive but quite reliable now over 12 months of use (I do get some errors reported in IFTTT which I suspect occurs when my hub slows down and the connection times out). And they really do open up many opportunities for much better automations.

Ok, so if you don't care that you're in or out of bed, then here's a project i did to trigger mode. Quiet time, night, and home. This works wonders, though I feel like i want to improve upon it for a version 3 now just to be creative. I used wood for this project, but you could use anything. Even a 3-d printer could be used to create something. Your only limitation is your imagination. If you're looking for some unique solutions or ideas.

Very cool

1 Like

They're on sale for $72.67 today ($70 a piece if you buy the two pack!) I pulled the trigger, it's my birthday tomorrow :grin:

Expect a native integration within 2-3 weeks!

4 Likes

Man that would be great. I have tried to cobble something together but I quickly found I was in waaaaay over my head!

There will be a few things with OAuth (I think) that I'm not familiar with and will have to learn, but I'm excited about that!

Now I need to go dig up their API documentation that I forgot to bookmark!

Nice, I ordered the two-pack a few days ago :metal:

Nice! If you want/need any help (e.g., beta testing, feature brainstorming, even coding), let me know. Something I'm interested in as well. Would like to cut out IFTTT since it's proven a bit unreliable from time to time.

1 Like

I'll definitely reach out once I have something to test. I already have a Withings smart scale so I can at least test connecting and pulling devices, but I don't have any sleep pads yet.

While I'm doing this, can anyone come up with a reason why I'd want my smart scale integrated into HE? I can't think of one, but I mean... why not?

If weight > X then lock pantry, fridge, and liquor cabinet. If weight < X unlock them :joy:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha, I will tell the wife that is technically not possible.

I'm also very willing to be a tester if needed. I have 2 sleep pads and the scales.

I was confused at first. This youtube video helped me understand the mechanics at play here - 4 Simple Wireless Bed Sensors (AQARA HACK) - YouTube