Image template how to use link & Image URL?

Since I'm new to HE thought what I was doing is selecting a device then selecting a template to use to control it.
Selecting a device works ok and the selecting a switch for example as the template work ok to turn a light on and off.
After that I attempted to select a device then an Image as a template from the template list, then point the image to an image file as an Icon for the template.

A image tile/template is a stand alone item which will alow you to link to a image or url

Try selecting a device, then the switch template, then there should be an option (tick box) to change icon (he only ones) or you can put in the image url you have ( don't tick the box)

Tried that too.
Have my HE url wong?
http://192.168.0.151/local/CasetaswtichOff.jpg
Does my URL look wrong? that is the IP of my HE and Dashboard is on the same subnet.

I know the file is on the HE because got back upload ok.

Posy screen shot of the device tile when setting it up

I wonder - can you click the link you posted and it displays in your browser? do you get a 'broken image' icon top left? If you do, right click it in your browser and inspect it . maybe that will give a clue? Also, maybe it's case sensitive? lower case your file name on both sides?
Go into Settings then File Manager - find the file and click it.. does it display? maybe the file is corrupted?

Just an FYI - tweaked my posts to specify HTTP rather than samba-share style link to the image

Yah get 404 error from browser with this link: ops no broken image just 404 error and not secure message.
http://192.168.0.151/local/CasetaswtichOff.jpg

that tells you a ton. the file is not there - or at least not from the webpage pov. It's a spelling error, case error, or you think you uploaded but somehow didn't succeed. Best open that FileManager and look close! then when you find it, open it. then copy paste that EARL.

1 Like

Did you try clicking on the image from the listing in the File Manager page? Is that the link that is shown (like @jshimota beat me to :slight_smile: )?

Yes in file manger file is there and can open it by clicking on it, sorry didn't mention that.

Is that the URL you used, the one from the address bar?

1 Like

yes
Going to rename and upload file and try that

Thanks for hanging in here.
That was it. Shorten the name and made it all lower case and now works.

1 Like

It looks like it is case sensitive, so you just need to get the exact case for each letter in the file name for your background image URL setting for the tile.

Good job!!

I will have to see if HE dashboard is as great as I thought it was going to be hi hi
Figured I could use photos of ICONs instead of squares to show actual devices.
Maybe a way just don't know how yet..

If you are referring to the fact you see a background shading for the tile, this can be removed, it just needs a little CSS or adjustment to the template settings.

just for kicks and giggles I created a jpg with 265 char name... File Manager reported it successful... but it didn't make it. So there is a length max. likely 254 chars including the .xxx extension.
It was a fun little test of HE file manager....

Yep. 254 is max length on file name....

You guys have been really helpful again.
I'm way to new at HE to give up and say I can't do what I would like relative to the Dashboard.
We all know the user interface is the glue that makes people really like an automation product or not.
I'm going to work and work on how to use HE to use photo Icons and media in the dashboard.
Thanks

2 Likes

Good luck! I will tell you as this is a community forum but run by the Hubitat staff... HE is a foundation... it's the glue that holds everything together - the focus of HE is on that foundation and not the user interface. To make it 'pretty' you will almost certainly learn about outside solutions for dashboards etc. Here is a very nice recent discussion going along just about that:

Enjoy!

1 Like

That is really good news that HE can focus on the foundation.
Let others work on using the foundation which being focused is very likely to do almost anything relative to automation.
Well done!