I'm planning to move to Hubitat

The only issue with a slow migration is that during the transfer you can cause ST hub issues as you remove more and more devices. If going this approach I like to add a couple of repeaters to HE at the beginning radiating outward then from the old hub working starting farthest away start excluding then including devices working inward.

I did this with a C-4 to C-7 migration, worked well.

1 Like

I owned an Apple Lisa when I was in college. That's hard-core Apple cult material.

4 Likes

I fried an Apple ][ on my very first programming job by plugging in the printer card backwards.. very sparky. Have avoided most things Apple until recently still somewhat traumatized...

If you want to use a dashboard on Apple, I can recommend an approach that I just completed for a client.
I used the following user developed bridge to send the Hubitat data to HomeBridge (which runs on a Raspberry PI:

That sends the data over to a mounted IPad at the site.
The Homekit application on that IPad then allows all the members of the family to share devices.
(This uses a Raspberry PI that I was using anyway, in order to do Hubitat text message and Hubitat email notifications.)
After setup, this works very seamlessly.

Other people here use the MakerAPI to send data over to HomeBridge and then to Apple:

....there are lot's of alternatives.... due to the inherent flexibility of the Hubitat platform

2 Likes

I resemble that remark. I started my migration right before Christmas and had no major issues transitioning Zigbee devices.
Z-Wave has been a ride, since I found that some of my older (hardwired) devices will only exclude from SmartThings if they are within a few feet of the hub. 5 devices (+ 3 repeaters) remain on SmartThings. Amazingly, they still work, although they take incredibly tortuous paths. One device claims that it is routed through the same repeater twice!

2 Likes

Counseling is available, for a small fee.

:wink:

2 Likes

This solution is the one I ended up going with, I find it incredibly responsive and it fits with the "local first" policy I impose on myself, which frankly I didn't expect that it would.

I run Homebridge on a Mac mini (which is also our media server and a bunch of other things) and expose devices to it using the Maker API from one of my two Hubitat hubs. I can then share the home through the Home app on iOS to other family members.

The only way family see the smart home tech is through HomeKit and they can customise their own dashboards however they like. I don't expose things such as exterior lights and timers through the Maker API as they should be fully automated by Hubitat.

The best bit is that all control is local unless you leave your home network. Then you can use an Apple TV or an iPad as a home hub for off-site control through iCloud if you want that functionality. Your device communicates via iCloud to whatever you've set up as the "home hub", which in turn communicates over your local network to Homebridge.

3 Likes

Yep thats why I pre-ordered the Homepod Mini to be used as an HK hub. Pretty much the least expensive Apple device right now.

1 Like

Why can't we just use the dashboard on iOS devices instead of using a 3rd service?

It's about the latency of updating the status. Sometimes, when I turn on a light, it took 3-5 seconds to update the status from OFF to ON. Sometimes, I press to turn on the light, it took too long to react and turn on the light.

So we can't add an additional user to let other family members control devices, with specific permissions?

This is my choice as well.

You can, using either the app or a browser on the device

There can be a number of reasons for this, but probably not the device youā€™re using to turn the switch on/off with

You have to have them create a HE account first, then you can build/assign them dashboards with only their devices.

4 Likes

I think the reason to consider running HomeBridge is that it gives you a more "Apple"-like experience when controlling your devices with your "iStuff" using Homekit. Of course adding a new server (or installing the server sw on an existing computer) on your network is not for everyone and the standard dashboard works great too if you are not in to doing those kinds of things.

I am interested in this for my Apple-centric clients.. Thanks @jtmpush18 for the heads up with your client. Good to know it's working out in the wild.. Also gives me an excuse to buy more toys devices for testing and demonstration purposes - you know, uh, for the clients.

3 Likes

This is something that occurs only very rarely. Typically only when there are issues with the Z-Wave or Zigbee mesh.

In my experience, toggling a switch almost always has an immediate response, and the dashboard is almost immediately updated.

I'm actually an Android guy myself, but I just had to get the latest IPad Pro to test this out - you know, for my clients! (Just like you!)

2 Likes

The advantage of a HomePod mini over an IPad is that the HP Mini accepts more than one voice, while the IPad only does one. On the other hand, with the IPad you can display the Home app, and also security camera feeds.

1 Like

Can't you use the iPad to control the stuff on the Mini? Or am I confused about how this works.

Yes, you can have both.
However, you only need one of them to be the "HomeKit Hub" (not sure if I have the right terminology). With that one instance of HomeKit, you can give access to all members of the client's family (that have IPhone's).
P.S. Also, if you use the IPad as the "Hub", then it must be "resident" in the house.

3 Likes

Okay cool thanks that's inline with what I was thinking. My wife has a new iPad which she loves apparently, I pre-ordered the HP Mini and will neither confirm nor deny that there might be yet another iDevice on order..

5 Likes

Wanted to report back - all Apple products acquired. HomePod Mini is operational in my office. Homebridge and HE HomeBridge app (I'm using @tonesto7's) working great. No issues to report but haven't really started to dig into it yet.

The Apple "Home" app is very simplistic but like most things Apple looks nice. For my clients this can potentially make a great dashboard and keep them in their Applecentric world.

The devices I exposed via HE work fast. Was really surprised that my Ring feeds showed up and are accessible. very cool!!!

The one minor early frustration was that I mistakenly thought a Macbook Pro would be able to configure the Homepod Mini. Turns out you need at least an iPad or an iPhone.

1 Like

Also, one other point that I've found (much to my chagrin).
The Ipad (that I put on the wall), is like an Iphone - it will recognize only one voice. The HomePod mini will recognize many peoples voices - great for a family.
Also, that HomeBridge stuff is very good. However, the Lutron switches have a built in lag, which I can't seem to overcome.

1 Like