I'm ok with being a second class citizen

Wow, how big is your phone... ? :grin:

1 Like

I keep an ipad 11" pro with google voice on it in my back pocket.... :rofl:

2 Likes

Progressive lenses FTW!

They do take some getting used to, and you do get some neck exercises while trying to find the right zone to see clearly :wink:

2 Likes

Not only do I wear progressives I have two pairs with different focus points at different places - still doesn't help. And oh boy the first time I wore them and tried to go down the stairs!

4 Likes

I wear progressives but my far sight is really good so I tend not to wear them all the time.

1 Like

Me too.

You're kidding, right?! I knew his parents when they were kids... :wink:

Absolutely! Can't live w/out 'em, and just do not understand why my wife hates using them. Life-saver.

I've got poor eyesight in every direction/distance, w/out glasses I'm a wall-hitter. My astigmatism is off the charts, due to having "bumpy eyes" - my optometrist says it's like I've got a mountain range on my eyes. I believe the real name is keratoconus. Not focus-friendly...

How many scan a tiny manual then enlarge it? Or use your phone’s camera to read it?

2 Likes

I have a magnifying app on my phone and use that for all the tiny text I seem to run into constantly.

Or maybe I didn't used to think it was tiny... :astonished::wink:

I throw it away and go online for the equivalent.

This is SO handy at restaurants too!

1 Like

Interestingly, I have been playing with ShareX (based on a communty reccomendation),, and I really do prefer it over the native windows snip tool. One thing I noticed the other day though, when taking a scrolling screen shot (like logs) it sizes it as though it was taken from a phone and not on a laptop/ pc. thought that was rather odd. Not sure if that can be changed or not, but those thin screen shots drive me nuts!

1 Like

I did not even notice it had the scrolling capture, tested it on my zwave details and it seems to have worked fine. Came out perfect. Nice find!

1 Like

I'm really glad you suggested it! I just happened to stumble across scroll capture the other day, but it seems a bit on the small side (i.e. phone screen grab) size, like still needs to be blown up to be read. Definitely easier than grabbing multiple chunks of logs the other way. maybe I'm just too used to seeing those in full size.

Are you clicking on it just once, if you click a second time on my post it zooms in and you can scroll the image.

1-Click

Second Click to zoom

Yep it was just clicking once, the second is more what I was used to. Thats a pretty handy little tool. glad you suggested it!

second class

FTFY: First Class, Elitist

I've lived on a terminal or screen & a keyboard since the 1976, when I sold mainframes door-to-door. I have zero use for phones, other than carrying one when I travel should my wife need to contact me. Like others here, I find the lack of screen space frustrating ---but the lack of easy access to routine power user features really drives me up the wall. Most importantly, I heavily modify the browser (currently Firefox) on the desktop to render sites I frequently use to my liking. The internet I see on desktop leans toward being minimalist text-based and is largely devoid of navigation, headers, footers, ads, & eye-candy. I navigate using extensively curated bookmarks. The page content is heavily pre-filtered to delete the media's Hype-O-The Day, like Silicon Valley Bank. I can't do that on mobile browsers.

HE is also set up in a minimalist manner. I tossed zwave early on because it can require maintenance. Now 100% zigbee, everything just runs on the C7. I now go days without seeing a dashboard and months without writing a rule. I've grown to dislike yelling at Alexa or opening a dashboard just to click a switch so I'm migrating to bookmarked url control of devices using Maker Api.

Martha, there's a cab over Peterbilt out front.

That mainframe sales guy is coming around again :rofl:

I write that jokingly as a former mainframe developer.

2 Likes

The easier money was in dedicated accounting machines. (Six digit incomes and a 4-digit monthly expense allowance wasn't too shabby for a 20-something kid in the 70s.) We did have an Econoline high-cube van with a generator ...which had a near 100% failure rate during crucial demos. I started renting several adjoining rooms in motels and hold local shows. This turned out to be very successful in semi-rural areas. My company nickname was "Showboat."

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.