I'll level with you. This is one clever smart lock

I have two of them. Never had any range issues actually never even thought about it. I have an ipad I use as the homehub. Also working well in arrive/leave automations although you do have to confirm the automation.

The freaking deadbolt is almost hollow. The design is amazing, but BT? come-on !

2 Likes

If you have Homebridge connected to HE, create a virtual switch on HE. Make two HomeKit automations to flip the virtual switch on/off as the lock locks/unlocks. Make two more HomeKit automations that lock/unlock the lock when the virtual switch turns on/off. You can now follow and control the lock in HE by the virtual switch.

You can now create HomeKit arrive/leave automations without the nuisance HomeKit confirmations they require when controlling locks via automation rules, by flipping the virtual HE switch instead of controlling the lock directly.....

3 Likes

Hmm smart. Guess I better connect my homebridge to HE thanks :+1:

1 Like

...but what's the fun in not having a huge, glow-in-the-dark lighted keypad so that you can show off to all your friends how you're living in the "future"??

:slight_smile:

J/K - I do love the innovative design, and would like to see a Zigbee/ZWave version of that to try out sometime.

@iharyadi is working on a Bluetooth gateway curious if maybe it would work with locks. @iharyadi?

2 Likes

It is a possibility the BLE gateway that I am working on can connect to the lock. Homekit use BLE as one of the transport.

However, I do not have any of the lock to even evaluate the possibility. There is possibly a unique pairing to secure the lock that prevent gateway like mine to connect easily. Perhaps not. I could not really tell. If someone can dig in whether a generic BLE central can pair. Working with the lock by writing or reading BLE attribute should be do able.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

IIRC, Apple used to require HomeKit-specific security chips that only they made/sold for any device to be HomeKit certified. I recommend doing lots of homework before wasting your time, to see if/what others have done.....

1 Like

If someone with deeper knowledge of Homekit can point us to the right direction, I can use some help.

From my end, I see the folks at homeassitant can control some of the homekit accessories with the “Works with HomeKit”. Refer to

In particular the lock.

All those characteristic are familiar to me. I don't have any knowledge of python. I also do not have any device. If someone can dig around and find whether there is pairing process prior to the code in the lock, I would be interested to learn about that process. Assuming that there is none, that code in lock.py is something that you can do using BLE gateway.

BTW, this assumption is almost 100% wrong. If this is the case, I can come to any home with homekit lock and issue those characteristic to open their door. So, there is a piece of code somewhere else that pair HA with the accessories. If we know that, we should be close.

I don't suppose anyone has successfully gotten this lock to work with HE, e.g., via homebridge or some other way?

Not that I know of but it looks really cool. If they ever come out with a ZW or ZB variant I'd be all over it. Worry about how strong it is though.. hollow cylinder and all.

It does look interesting.

Two missing features that would make it hard for me to adopt:

1. Knowing who opened the lock: My son and wife refuse any location/presence monitoring on their phones, so code entry on the lock is the only way I can tell who's coming and going. Similar w/dog walker that walks our dogs, close friend/neighbor that has a code. We don't have or want any cameras in the house so that is not an option.
  2. Keyless entry w/out phone. My son often leaves home w/out his phone for exercise activities, just does not want to take it with him. Wife has habit of leaving her phone behind. In some cases we've had issues at home when we're gone and needed friend/neighbor to go the house to do something, and our dog walker needs access while we're away. We also allow some contractors who've become friends over the years access while we're away. I don't like giving out keys, having lock codes that I can provide and then expire are much more convenient and secure long-run.

Just found this post after drooling a bit over this deadbolt. But the hollow bolt doues give me some pause. Any new feedback on this?

Level states the following in the security section of its website:

Level engineered Level Lock to be strong, durable, and to meet or exceed ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards for Grade 1/A locks, the highest level for residential security.

Level Lock is a Grade 1/A lock, which is the ANSI spec for the strongest and most secure deadbolt lock. Here are some of the tests that the lock has undergone for this interested:

• bolt strength: 1350 lb-f side load
  • bolt impact: 2 blows of 148 ft-lb (200 joules)
  • bolt saw: 5 minutes @ 5 lb-f
  • bolt compressive load: 150 lb-f
  • 250,000 cycles
  • slam test: 10,000 cycles
  • ESD (electrostatic discharge): Level 4

I've also been drooling over this one. I think I could get it to work well enough with HE via HomeKit. And I imagine that, when they provide a solution for direct integration with HE, it will be via a bridge/gateway, rather than an entirely new lock/bolt - but obviously that's no guarantee. I don't want to buy the existing model only for them to introduce a new model that has direct integration capabilities. That's my biggest hesitation - that, and they have their fair share of bad reviews....

@danabw they just introduced a keypad in case that peaks your interest more....

1 Like

Looks like you can use the Ring Video Doorbell Pro (with Sidewalk enabled) as the gateway, so you wouldn't need a hub if you already have the correct Ring Doorbell. Haven't tried it, though.

(See Remote Connectivity on Level | Level Lock - The Smallest and Most Advanced Smart Lock Ever.)

I saw a video where somebody cut through a standard deadbolt and the Level Lock. It turns out the standard deadbolt was also hollow. The Level was made out of stronger materials and did well. I'm not able to find the video at the moment but will post it if I do.

EDIT: I found the video. Note that it is sponsored by Level so take that for what it's worth. He doesn't cut the Level but you can already see the inside of the bolt. :wink: It is interesting to see the inside of a standard lock. Not as robust as you may think.

2 Likes

They do this by emulating a HomeKit controller within Home Assistant so the device pairs with HA. Then they republish the now HA device as a HomeKit accessory to pair with HomeKit proper.

1 Like

I cant find much online to if deadbolts are solid. Some discussion of an anti cut-through mechanism with the metal rod (as also seen in the video) ... That video is super interesting thanks for posting @lairdknox

Deadbolt upgrade PSA.

2 Likes