IKEA Trådfri Outlet

I should add that other rules turning on light and music stop working too. So different buttons that should turn on lights just stop.

Not every switch reports physical/digital. It is normal to not see it everywhere.

Here's a theory: I wonder if this is sending too many Zigbee commands at the same time, overwhelming either the hub or devices and causing some to be lost. One workaround you could to is create a group (use the Groups and Scenes app) and check "Enable Zigbee group messaging." You can toy around with the other settings as desired (on/off optimization, for example), but this would be the main one I'd be concerned about. This would cut down on traffic and might increase reliability.

Another thing you could do to work around this issue--if it is indeed a problem--is switch to Rule Machine, and insert delays among your "Off" actions. Rule Machine with a "Button Device" trigger gives a pretty friendly interface--basically the same as the old Button Controller app--though the classic interface with a "Button" trigger would also work if this is the only button number and action you care about. The goal either way would be to not send more than a few (maybe 2 or 3? there is no magic number, and this is partly guessing) commands at once without a pause (one or two seconds? or go higher for testing and see how much you can bring it down later).

Just some ideas that might help! I don't normally see this problem on switches/plugs, but with bulbs I've had bad luck sending more than a few commands at once. Maybe this will help.

2 Likes

That is fantastic. Thank you. Never thought that it could overwhelm the hub!

Groups has fixed it. It was something I was completely un aware of, probably because I did not understand the point of it. Now the "Bedtime" switch just turns off 3 groups, instead of 9 different bulbs/switches etc. And everything works again after.....

again, a big thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just to share my experience with these outlets.
I purchased like 5 of them following a suggestion from a friend here and I have no regret, they are stable, working always as expected. I have to say I just use Zigbee devices (I designed my net like that).

They are big that's true but they are cheap as well. Actually I could connect my two coffeemakers without problem (one with this outlet). Check this image from now:

Actually I'm planning to buy more as they showed me they are tough enough to deal with my really hot weather here in Cuba and I have to say my environment is very polluted as well as I live in Moa, a very polluted town.

Actually I have a question for you guys... the model with the button included is Zigbee as well and work like the model without it? I mean with Hubitat of course...

This one : TRÅDFRI Control outlet kit - IKEA

I purchased some today, online, thanks to the good reviews here.

Ikea said they'll get here sometime in August, yikes!

1 Like

Hello, for this outlet, can someone confirm that there are no "required" firmware updates for it to work properly? I didn't see anyone mention it so I assume they will work out of the box.

I needed a couple of smart outlets and wanted to improve signaling to my outdoor bulbs so I bought some Peanut Plugs. Big mistake, and not cost effective to update them. I can still return them on Amazon, so I am considering replacing with the TRÅDFRI.

Yes, they do work right out of the box.
However, I personally have found that the radio of the TRADFRI outlet is somewhat weak.
The radio of the basic TRADFRI repeater, on the other hand , is very, very good.
Another good radio is on the Samsung SmartThings outlet: GP-U999SJVLDAA

2 Likes

I can't 100% confirm for the entire lifecylce of the product, but I got a fairly early version, and it worked fine on Hubitat. I do know that there are firmware updates available (and I did one; the only way I know of requires the Trådfri Gateway), but all that gave me was the ability to add it to a Hue Bridge network, so it was presumably some Zigbee 3.0 fix/adjustment.

EDIT: But I'll second the comment above that they seem pretty weak, or at least aren't favored repeaters on my network. The ST Plugs are my devices' favorite, it appears, but the Ikea USB repeater mentioned above is cheaper (than the ST Plug by a lot--not cheaper than the Trådfri Outlet if you're in the US) and might offer you more convenient placement.

1 Like

Thanks @bertabcd1234 @jtmpush18.

That's good news. They probably do not even need to be very good repeaters since I had a bunch of Sylvania Smart+ outlets that I stuck onto the ceiling. Ideally, I'd like those to be the repeaters while I just use the outlets for that purpose.

Is there an OK TRADFRI alternative on Amazon? I ordered several TRADFRI outlets/USB plugs to be repeaters after the great reviews here... but that was weeks ago and Ikea won't be shipping them for weeks more. I have zero Zigbee repeaters at the moment and need something.

Well... I have both ikea repeaters and outlets. I see things routing through either type regularly, but do notice them going through the Repeaters more often than the Outlet.

The outlet output power is 14 dBm (max per spec is around 20 dBm), while the Repeater is only 3 dBm per the data sheet... So you would think the outlet would be preferred. :man_shrugging:

I'm thinking of getting a bunch of the GE in-wall zigbee outlets (if they ever go on sale), and get rid of most of my wall wart repeaters. Someday...

1 Like

I know @iharyadi's zigbee environmental sensor works really well as a repeater for Xiaomi sensors (and other zigbee devices). Not on Amazon, but you can find it on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zigbee-Temperature-Humidity-Environment-Sensor-for-SmartThings-Hubitat/164220197906

They work really well (you get lux, temp, rel. hum, pressure). Works with SmartThings, Hubitat, and zigbee2mqtt.

2 Likes

Thanks much, looks like a great option.

That's an understatement! My Xbees are suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome, as many of their children have left for the environmental sensor.

4 Likes

The cheapest ones that I've found:
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-SmartThings-switches-Appliances-accessories/dp/B07SPXMXRZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3V2FOGKPB4XNU&dchild=1&keywords=ewelink+zigbee+plug&qid=1595291703&sprefix=zigbee+ewe%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-3

I've only had them in play for a week or so, but they seem to be relatively stable and work well.

Price is good, but they are still so big they block outlets.

But since the output power isn't published/listed there is no way to tell if they are actually better than the less expensive, and known working, Ikea Outlets. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Since I've got a few installed, I'll see if XCTU will give me some insight into how much power these devices have.

I just received two of the outlets today and thanks to the instructions here they paired easily and receive strong signal strength. However I noticed something weird pretty much right off the bat. The switch responds quickly to commands, but it does not appear to report back to the hub. As a result, the hub is stuck trying to figure out what its present state is.

You can see this happening when you click "on" or "off" on the device page. The switch responds immediately but the page doesn't update until you click "refresh." The log does not record the device have been activated. See the screencap of the log below (where I try click on/off/on/off and then again while also click refresh each time).

I tried both outlets, so am sure that this problem is with the product.

This results in a few issues:

1. Dashboard has hourglass showing, and too many button presses on the dashboard causes it to stop responding.
  2. Google Home reports the outlet as unresponsive (cannot be operated).

This seems like a fairly severe issue - has anyone else noticed this? Is there a workaround?