Ikea Symfonisk remote! On French Ikea. Zigbee!

Aparently that's not the criteria to produce Zigbee products for IKEA. :wink:

This works very well for Hue lights. Extremely smooth dimming if you use buttons 4 & 5 for start raising/lowering and 6 for stop changing. Have not tried with Sonos yet, but with this DTH and your changes, it is one of my new favourite dimmers. Nothing like the experience with the IKEA puck dimmer. @bertabcd1234, I wonder if this same method would work with the puck?

Thanks for this. I did find that it was necessary to be very patient for the pairing to complete, and then I had to pair it twice to get the battery level to appear, and a few moments later for the pushed state to appear. I tested the pairing on two different hubs, with the latest and a previous platform build, and it acted the same on each.

I was planning to return this, but now I really like it. I don't have a Lutron Aurora dimmer, but I have just ordered one to compare.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

How have you set up the rules to control your lights using the controller?

Button controller. Iā€™m still using an older platform version for my primary hub, so this example is button controller 3, but the principal is the same for RM4

And why the heck does Australia get black controllers and we don't? :rage:

Works great with @stephack 's ABC to control my Symfonisk/Sonos. Had to use button controller for previous track (maybe that can be added to ABC?). Now if smooth volume control (start raising, start lowering, stop changing) could be added, this would be the wireless equivalent to turning the volume dial on a traditional amplifier.

Hereā€™s a method for smooth volume control with the Symfonisk sound controller

1 Like

A little late, but that is almost exactly what SmartThings does with hacky devices and it annoys the hell out of me (I got this confirmed by a couple of ST engineers when Samsung acquired them).

1 Like

Compared to the Lutron Aurora, the Symfonisk sound controller is just as smooth at dimming, but not as responsive due to the fixed speed of the start increase/decrease dimmer level built into RM. I found the Aurora sometimes refused to turn off with the HE driver, and would turn back on immediately, finally turning off after a few tries. This does not happen when paired to the Hue Bridge.

Overall I find the Symfonisk controller to be more flexible due to the way @cybrmage has modified the driver with the 3 button actions based on rotation direction or lack thereof. It also has up to 3 button presses available by clicking, versus only 1 click with the Lutron Aurora.

While I do like the Lutron Aurora, and its dial feels very smooth when rotating, the rest of it feels surprisingly cheap and unfinished. Not at all what I expected for a dimmer/button that is $57 CAD, versus $15 CAD for the Symfonisk sound controller, which feels much better made.

1 Like

First, have you got it reporting correctly in the device details? It didnā€™t work until I paired it a second time.

1. Pair and save

2. Donā€™t delete the device from HE, but go through discovery again and press the pairing button on the dimmer.

3. You should see it report that it found the previously paired device.

Only after doing this did I get reporting in the device details.

IKEA has 365 day returns in the US and Canada if for some reason you cannot get this to work, but Iā€™ve removed it and paired it several times on both my HE hubs and it worked equally well on both. One of my hubs is running 2.1.3.x and the other is running the very latest (beta).

Bingo!

Hold for 10 seconds factory resets and that probably kicks off a pairing on the TRƅDFRI Gateway, so for their intended use, that would be what they want.

Used @bertabcd1234 Dimmer Button Controller with them and they work really well. Just used his raise by 10 on button 4 / dim by button 5 and it ain't bad. I think i'll have to try to repair though, cause I noticed the double events as well.

I am totally new to HE (arrives today), can I get my Symfonisk remote to control my Sonos speaker via HE rather than using the Tradfri gateway? I have far too many hubs!

1 Like

Yes. That is what has been accomplished with this driver. The device can be setup with the built-in (but not installed by default) button controller app. However, in some of my examples, I am also using a community app by @stephack called Advanced Button Controller (ABC for short). It is excellent. Very simple and fast to setup button devices, such as the Symfonisk Sound Controller, which is presented fully as a button controller to the system with the above driver.

I have gone a step further with my system and used multiple rules to "trick" the controller into functioning with smooth volume control. The end result is a digital dial, that feels like you are using an analogue volume knob.

Since you're new to HE, I'll explain that you can easily do what I've done with multiple rules and not see any performance degradation on HE. Rule's are free, as @bravenel (the creator of rule machine and one of the founders of Hubitat) has often said. Having said that, someone with better RM chops than I have, could probably take those 6 rules for the Symfonisk sound controller smooth volume and make it into fewer, or maybe even one rule.

1 Like

@SmartHomePrimer great thanks, i'll give it a go

1 Like

Well that was easy! Set my remote to work with my Play:5 in the same way it was using the Tradfri gateway, using the above driver and ABC app. The default button app isn't available anymore, it just says use the rule machine, tried that and didn't have a clue what was going on, not very user friendly!

Anyone know what action button 6 relates to? Is it possible to detect holding the button so I can assign that to mute?

Hold isnā€™t supported. Button 6 is when the dial is not moved. So if you setup smooth dimming, a turn of the knob in one direction will start increasing for example, and then when you stop turning the knob, the dim level will stop increasing, and vice versa for the other direction.

1 Like

@SmartHomePrimer Are your batteries draining really quick? Mine are lasting only a handful of days.