Anyone used Trådfri Remote or Dimmer?

NO !

It can be used on SMARTTHINGS.

You seem to have a smartthings hub. I know it isn't ideal but you can connect smartthings with the hub connect app. I don't have smartthings but maybe you could connect the 5 button that way?

Perhaps I can use it thought something but I want to substitute smartthing but hubitat....

Thanks, and on future will be able to use on hubitat?

You're probably going to have to look elsewhere to use the Ikea product line. There is little to no dev interest in supporting the whole Ikea product line.

If you want to use those zigbee devices, there are many options available: smartthings, Hue hub, Ikea hub, Home Assistant with (ZHA, DeCONZ, Zigbee2MQTT).

1 Like

The IKEA Symfonisk sound controller works very well for dimming, power, etc using this driver and works for Sonos sound control too. No reason it can't be used with other devices as well.

IKEA bulbs also work with the Hue bridge and Hue integration, or can be directly paired with HE, but should not be paired directly to HE with other non-lightbulb Zigbee devices as they will try to act as repeaters (lousy ones at that) for those devices.

@gdkramer so if this remote works with SmartThings via a custom Device handler, could that not simply be ported to a HE driver?

No:

Well that’s frustrating. I’m really trying to not use multiple hubs and integrations.

1 Like

You can use other remote, aeotec zwave for example, there are many...

Thanks.

I know the device is not currently supported by HE as per Mikes's comments above. I just wanted to add to the conversation as another person interested in having these integrate with HE eventually. got a couple to test out with Smartthings before deciding to make the jump to HE. Found them to be great little devices for the low price. Oddly enough my wife seems to like them as well so another plus!

3 Likes

Another me too. I have two of these tradfri remotes and about a dozen of the Ecosmart bulb with remotes. Would love to have these remotes work on HE (from someone who recently switched over from smartthings).

1 Like

If this isn't evidence enough that we need this ASAP I don't know what is. If a spouse\significant other likes some sort of Home Automation tech everyone wins.

:grinning:

3 Likes

New owner here, 10 hours ago. I started with home automation a year ago with Home Assistant and an Ikea hub + few led drivers/outlets/the wireless dimmer that comes with the outlets.

Switched to HE just because HA started eating my SD cards, so HE seemed stable.
Now i learn there is no support for Ikea (or limited) and almost no plans to add it, or at least enable the community by supporting the protocols needed.

This is a super strange (to me) relationship to customers and even stranger to not enable the community that extends your product for free?
It cant be that hard to support the ikea hub directly? Then at least you dont have to deal with specific devices. This works in HA and i believe the code is open to peek at.
I can understand that the company or a developer in it thinks Ikea is not worth their time, but not providing the support to your community on which your product hinges is strange.

Am i missing something about the product strategy? I am a dev myself so learning new syntax is just another day to me, can i get more info on how i can help support my devices?

Welcome to the HE community @boris.juraga!

I'm fairly new myself (been using HE for a month). We have a great bunch of helpful folks here, so I'm sure you will get the input you need from the community.

What Ikea devices specifically are you looking to use with HE?

I know some of the Ikea devices are already compatible with HE. See List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation. I'm using the Ikea Symfonisk remote control as a dimmer knob for my hue lights, and it works well.

This may also be helpful: Join and Reset Instructions - Hubitat Documentation

I have really a limited number of devices:

So really a fresh starter here, with i guess wrong expectations of commercial product. Hope it changes/i can change it.

Thanks !

I also want to add myself to the conversation as another person interested in having the square Ikea dimmers integrated since i have 7-8 of these in use with Smartthings.

I bought a Hubitat a while ago to replace Smartthings, but are still not using it since it's missing support for these devices. I''m tired of Smartthings being internet dependent (my network isn't very stable), so Hubitat would be optimal if it supported these.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, IKEA released a new shortcut button and motion sensor.

I wonder if those will work.

I've got some of the 5 button remote and simple on/off switch and I'd like to use them with my HE. So the only thing that's missing is just to implement that.
If it's a part of the zigbee protocol you should implement it. Otherwise you're selling a condemned product.

We support Zigbee ZHA 1.2 products. This device is not zigbee certified for any protocol, and is not on our compatable device list.

I might ask Ikea why they insist on building devices that in some cases only function correctly on their own hub.

In other words, this problem of interoperability is Ikeas, not ours...