Ikea’s new Matter-ready Dirigera hub is now official

I'm disappointed that they haven't enabled the existing hub, but they've taken the approach to add Thread.

Multi-Admin with the controllers is the key piece I'm interested in. Matter Controllers will need to have that extra security @SmartHomePrimer, but I don't think the endpoint devices themselves will be restricted in that way.

My read is that you'll add a Matter device via the QR Code with your chosen Controller (App) - i.e. Google, Amazon, Ikea, whatever, and then that Controller will share that device information with the other controllers. So adding a device to a Google Home controllers will also make that same device available to the Apple Homepod. If that's how it works, then Apple users will be very happy I think.

Authorizing Matter Controllers to work with each other is the bit i'm unsure about.

You might be able to add a Matter device but there is no guarantee beyond the most basic functionality. After all why would Hue or Apple want to undercut their existing platforms?

Inter Hub communication would be awesome but do you really think Apple or Google will do this?

Paul Hibbert makes some interesting points (repost):

warning: his "style" is not for everyone..

2 Likes

Because if they don't then they'll get cut out of the game. The entire point of it is to increase consumer adoption to sell more of their products and they're current strategy has only got them so far.

Interoperability issues have created such a headache for the consumer, and ultimately have the potential to hurt future sales. I'm sure these companies would love to have their platform win, but like the long list of smart tech companies in the defunct graveyard, that is a really costly thing to do.

Yes, that's the entire point of it. They won't be certified to act as controllers if they don't.

I'm not sure Apple has ever cared about that people they believe they have critical mass by themselves.

I hope the interoperability happens. And I hope it happens for all features not just the basic ones. Because if I have to keep popping into vendor-specific apps to do things like configuration or access configuration parameters, then I probably won't be very interested.

Because simply turning things on and off, or setting a dimmer brightness, is something I can do today fairly easily.

5 Likes

Agreed. That's one issue that I think might cause grief at release because there is already gaps in the capabilities supported by the initial standard.

2 Likes

As a work around for matter couldn't we use an echo 4 or any if the other Echos that double as border routers and virtual switch them in? It's ugly but it should work.

Other possibilities to get matter and or thread devices off the top of my head could be:

Hue Hub, Switchbot Hub, Whatever Govee is up to, Lutron hub, etc im drawing a blank all the sudden.

Anything with an open API would make it technically unnecessary for Hubitat to have to figure it out right now.

Hubitat recently (this week I believe) joined the Matter group, so it would seem they have something planned.

3 Likes

The name Dirigera you could compare to a policeman in the middle of a crossing pointing cars where to go.... Ikea always have funny names, even we Swedes jokes about it. The Gay Pillowcover Putin is one of them... :rofl:

2 Likes

The only big difference between Matter and Zigbee is threading. I just don't think its worth the effort for Hubitat to add Matter to the protocols at this time.... it's only version 1.0 right now.

1 Like

Whenever hubitat embraces Matter, I hope it can arrive as a firmware update to existing C7s.

Supporting Thread will likely need new hardware.

2 Likes

New Hub is ok. I'd rather they sell an addon adapter.

The problem with an add-on adapter is that it would likely have to get firmware/software updates separately from the main hub. Since Matter is still in the developmental phase, I suspect updates would be frequent. It is much easier to do updates to everything at one time. It might cost a little more to have a new hub, but that new hub might also include Zigbee 3.0 rather than the older version.

1 Like

For what I understand, Matter and Thread are two different things. Companies (or devices) can work with Matter without using Thread. So no extra hardware should be required to add support for Matter.

Dirigera = will lead (in french)

Interesting response by an Ikea rep on Reddit with regards to a post about the lack of Matter movement from Ikea.

I have several matter devices now...(7 and counting) and they work perfectly. (Nanoleaf string holiday lights, third reality night light, tapo and meross outlets.. Not sure what they're talking about.

Can anyone confirm if the Dirigera works as a thread boarder router today, as was claimed at launch, or have they held back on releasing that functionality? The Matter over thread work going on at Hubitat is peaking my interest enough to the point that I'm starting to investigate low cost TBR options.

You can get refurbed homepod minis on ebay with a 1 year warranty for around $60 bux. They will commission matter/wifi and matter/thread and be a TBR... Then you can onboard to hubitat from there.

1 Like

Unfortunately things are a little more complicated in Canada. Refurbished HomePod Mini is $97 CAD ($71 USD), and a Dirigera is $80 CAD. Close in price, so HomePod Mini might be the better choice.

Home Assistant SkyConnect Zigbee/Thread dongle is $41 CAD ($29 USD). It's a possible option, but I'm unsure if OpenThread is the way to go.