Ikea’s new Matter-ready Dirigera hub is now official

2 Likes

I am quite convinced that as soon as "matter" is officially released, and is "accepted" by the marketplace, Hubitat Elavation staff will start to look at it, as a viable way of interfacing with devices. I feel that there is no need to be a "market leader" in this area, because new products with a new type of interface take time to establish themselves in the market.
Furthermore, once the matter device has been "on boarded" into Hubitat, it should be treated as any other device - which means that all the existing Automation structures should work transparently.

4 Likes

Oh, we started "looking" for it, alright, we just couldn't find it :rofl:

18 Likes

Using the videos in the include process to guide customers in real-time w/resetting devices before pairing is very clever...

4 Likes

Sounds like the only real need is the ability to support a "thread radio" to be "matter capable" if I'm reading this right?

Dirigera

The name sounds like those low-quality devices that you find on Ali Express or Amazon.

It is just a bunch of letters thrown into a hat, they draw out the letters one by one, and voilà you get a new name!

2 Likes

Just like diarrhea ?

3 Likes

This right here is a major problem that Matter cannot solve. Resetting is all over the map, and some of the manufacturers use procedures that are unnecessarily over complicated.

2 Likes

Does it really matter?

1 Like

No Z-wave radio.

Apparently it means "direct" in Swedish.

1 Like

I've already got literally hundreds of existing devices. It isn't like I'm going to rip them all out the day after matter is finalized. So this just isn't that interesting to me right now.

It will be interesting to see what new devices come, or what the reality of the interoperability is down the road. That part sounds promising, but there's a lot of interesting details around what improperability means past very basic functionality.

3 Likes

Me too - though maybe less then hundreds in my case :smile:

I want to see if companies like Apple or Hue will allow or restrict (via reduced capabilities) non-native devices on their hubs. Also wonder what kind of control you get over the Apple Home or Hue hubs via Matter if that is even a possibility.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

They're working on the Duke Nukem Forever method of rollout

1 Like

This ^^^ exactly!

The skeptic in me suspects all this current kumbaya among the big Matter players is going to quickly dissolve once they realize there's no effective way to differentiate themselves (and make $$$) unless they start to restrict cool stuff to their own platform / mothership.

Then we're effectively still where we are today.

3 Likes

Wasn't that what the Zigbee alliance was for originally? That seemed to work out well.

:man_facepalming:

This time will be really extra double-plus good, we promise.

3 Likes

LOL, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the name, I was like Oh ■■■■, a new pandemic, first monkey pox, now dirigera. Unfortunately I think I have it, there's a rash on my butt from repeatedly whipping out my wallet to buy more HA gear.

7 Likes

2 Likes

I really haven't taken the time to read the matter technical analysis.
I really don't know what their IP control really means.
If it means that they are back to the cloud control (with another name), I am really not interested.
That's why, the prudent move right now, is to wait and wait and wait until there are real devices and real hubs out there that are matter certified. Only then will we really know how this stuff is going to work.

2 Likes

Early security details suggest there could be a TPM type requirement. Such a requirement could conceivably end up being very restrictive and disallow non-matter compliant devices. I’ve no interest in any such platform.

2 Likes