IKEA motion sensor

Thanks @Kasper, I thought of buying them too. But as you said, with aqara, I need to get separate one.
I have aqara wall switch no neutral, and aqara buttons. The wall switch works great, but the button kept going to sleep for some reason. I also have some IKEA outlets as I thought from different articles I found, should improve my zigbee mesh, but the button kept going to sleep.
I am just concern if the aqara sensor will behave similarly to the button.

Have you had any issues with aqara devices gone to "sleep"?

My overall experience with aquara is very positive. Except from a few times they work perfect. Buttons (the square one with the round press) can be a bit unreliable, but I think it's to do with the hardware (poor build quality) not the software. They have never gone to sleep for me I think.

Kasper

same here, experience with Aqara positive, relays, thermomenters, motion sensors all work great.
By the way, this seems to be new product from IKEA, at least here, anyone tried it yet?

Looks exactly the same as the one I tried, which does not work.

Why? Because it doesn't work? Or because you just don't want to? It would give a lot of options to those NOT living in the USA.

Creating an integration with Ikeas gateway is not a priority for us at this time.

1 Like

Ikea integration is limited even with other platforms. You can't see remotes for example.

Like with Xiaomi, Ikea products aren't favored by the staff here. Ideally, the hope is that you buy compatible products.

The reality is that you will have to look else where. I use Home assistant with Hubitat. There is a MQTT integration or on the HA forums a HACS integration.

2 Likes

I know, I do use MQTT with rpi's and other stuff. I'm just hoping there will be some more NON USA support, since most of the things on the compatibility list aren't for sale here in Europe.

2 Likes

Same as the last one which means it sends a on/off Zigbee command to a group it is joined to and therefor not supported and impossible to write a custom driver for currently.

Join it to a SmartThings hub and use HubConnect or join it to deConz with a Conbee stick and then use Kevin’s MQTT solution are your only options at the moment.

But I agree despite IKEAs failure to follow the Zigbee standard here it would be really nice to have these joined directly to HE!

Here is the smartthings device type, i tried to see if i could ge tit to towrok in HE but all it would report is the battery percent

1 Like

This has been mentioned in a few places, but I'm not sure if this thread is one of them: the Ikea motion sensor works via TouchLink to one or more bulbs (ideally set up on Ikea's system but it can be done without their app/gateway, too). It does group broadcasting only, and Hubitat does not support this on the inbound side (i.e., to the hub). It was a pretty recent addition to ST, presumably to accommodate odd devices like Ikea's that tend to do this. It is unlikely Hubitat will add support for this, and most devices don't do this.

If you see a line like addHubToGroup(Integer groupAddr) in the ST DTH as you do on line 156 in this DTH, it's probably bad news for Hubitat. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would they if enough of their customers wants it?

I would say that is unlikely given the few devices that require this and the fact that most new ones shouldn't. Here's a post from a different thread about a different device but one with similar requirements:

Ok, way to listen to customers, might need a PR team lol

It's not a "never" necessarily--they are simply prioritizing other things over the few quirky Ikea devices that exist. Here is is some more reading, and you can find probably even more with additional searching:

I agree, things need priority, just the way it was said, hence the PR team joke

I'm pretty sure that Ikea's devices meet the Zigbee specs. They seem to be one of the few manufacturers that have their devices retested when they make a firmware change.

I think these devices are primarily meant for direct control. That being said when you want something more and switch to Hubitat you might want to use them in rules. And they are available worldwide. I think since Hubitat's competitors support it (Smartthings, Deconz, Home Assistant) it would be nice to see support. I have Zigbee2MQTT setup as a test. I might just start moving over to Home Assistant. It will be interesting to see how the market evolves as Home Assistant and other open source options evolve (and maybe Smartthings get things together, not counting on that one).

1 Like

Yes, direct via touchlink.

Many of them do not play well when joined to a coordinator, in that situation a device should be sending it's command frames to the coordinator, not multicasting them to the entire network...

1 Like

I was able to use touchlink to pair an Ikea Motion Sensor and an Ikea Bulb to the Hue Bridge.
Afterwards I paired them together and both the bridge and the sensor worked.
I have my Hubitat monitoring the bulb on the Hue, and use it to trigger further rules.
I'll have to live with the extra latency do to the bridge to bridge communication.

3 Likes

I am not sure if the integration of Ikea Tradfri Motion Sensor with Hubitat is still an issue or not. I wrote a simple driver (based on code from others) to use the sensor to turn my lights off when inactive for a period of time. No Ikea hub is needed.

code is here:

2 Likes