Ikea Blinds

Are you guys having any trouble with statuses being updated? I used the info in this thread and got mine working. They are on a schedule with rule machine and follow the schedule except I have these two issues: 1) occasionally one blind out of three wonā€™t go up or down on schedule 2) the status of the blinds in my dashboard tiles is never 100% accurate

Any thoughts? I am using the modified driver from post 274 of this thread. I was using the original driver from Ryan780 and it wasnā€™t reliable either.

Any ideas guys? I hate not having these work with 100% reliabilityā€¦. Should I just get an Ikea Tradfrii device and pair them to it?

Try staggering them by a few seconds in your schedule. I know it doesn't look as cool, but I've found that it helps for situations like that.

3 Likes

I agree with what @cam.soper said. I have 12 of these IKEA blinds. My original rule had all the blinds go up at sunrise and down at sunset. Only a few blinds followed the rule. Sometimes one set would go up and down as scheduled and another time a different set would go up and down as scheduled.

Before I switched to HE my home was ST. A user on the ST forum suggested staggering the times after I posted about my blinds not following the rule. I now have them in groups of two. The opening times are staggered 1 minute apart as are the closing times. This method has been working great for months

As for the repeater, I have one per room. Some repeaters are linked to 4 blinds and the others are linked to 2 or 3. You donā€™t need a repeater for each blind. As long as the repeater is in the same room the blinds will work fine.

I am using the driver from a4refillpad. Battery status levels are shown on my dashboard and are accurate.

Hi guys, I can add to this too. I have 9 of these blinds, 6 downstairs in a group and 3 upstairs. The downstairs ones work in tandom but sometimes my upstairs ones don't open as expected. Oddly when my upstairs rule runs to open the blinds, sometimes one of the blinds doesn't open but the dashboard shows as opening and then The dashboard shows the blind as fully open. I tried running my rule as a group and also as single blinds with a 1 second delay but to no avail. I tried a tradfri repeater but this too bad no success.

So, as a cheat, I now open my blinds to 99% and then have the rule say, if blinds are @ 99% then open to 100% . So any blind which was showing 99% but in reality was zero%. The rule will run and change too 100%

1 Like

I am aware of two drivers for the IKEA blinds.

a4refillpad wrote a great driver. The other driver is from ryan780. Forgot why I stopped using the ryan780 driver. Battery reporting is accurate with the driver from a4refillpad

Thanks for the advice Tom! I just changed my rules to open/close the blinds individually one minute apart. AND I added the a4refillpad drive found at that top of this page and switched them over to that driver: [RELEASE] IKEA window roller blinds - #13 by dvan

I'll monitor how they work now and do my best to report back here

@claytonelliott

How are your Ikea blinds behaving with the staggered times and new driver?

My blinds are working flawlessly now!!! Thank you so much Tom!

Gor anyone dealing with issues I highly recommend you do what I did aboveā€¦

2 Likes

Now you need to buy an Aqara button. :sunglasses:

Is the Aqara button the recommended button for the ikea fyrtur shades?

Did anyone ever figure out how to make the ikea buttons work?

@claytonelliott

AFAIK there is no natively ā€œsupportedā€ button.

The ikea button supplied with the blinds works well as long as you donā€™t add the blinds to a smart hub. I have tried the Lightify 4 button remote also. It sometimes requires multiple presses to get a response. Looking in the log for that button only shows the one press that was actually sent. The Aqara button can be used in the dark. The way I have it set is a tap opens the blinds 65%. A push closes them. A double tap opens then all the way. This can be done in the dark, whereas the Lightify buttons have 4 buttons, one on each corner. Stabbing in the dark usually resulted in the blind doing something other than what I intended.

Update

Replaced the battery in one of my Ikea blinds because it was low on charge. Popped the replacement in, and the blind went to full open like usual. At sunset I have a rule to close all the blinds. This is what I was referring to.

Had to relearn the full closed position. Apparently only a few of my blinds have this issue.

I had one of my three ikea blinds go crazy one day and completely unroll itself. It was pooled up on the floor. I had to do the process to relearn itā€™s stop point and that corrected itā€™s issue. I bought that blind several months after the other two ikea blinds I own due to stock issues. So Iā€™m assuming it is on different firmware. Maybe that is why? It has only happened once since I installed it 9 months ago. Not a huge deal but annoying and slightly concerningā€¦. I have not done anything else to fix it yet

We have two IKEA blinds at work on the windows fading west. Once in a while one of the blinds will completely unroll itself, keep going and roll up backward. That has to be a fault with the limit switch or like you said, firmware.

I installed 1 of 2 of these shades today, and so far, so good. The device code seems to work awesome. I'll keep an eye out for the unrolling deal.

Has anyone gotten the Ikea (shade supplied) wall switch remote to work yet?

@ericthomaswoodall

The two button remote supplied with the shade works great as long as you donā€™t pair the blind with a smart hub. Once the blind is paired, the IKEA 2 button remote will not work.

You arenā€™t locked into using that remote. Check out the Aqara button. It is about the same size as the IKEA remote but has 4 functions.

The buttons have 4 functions : single press, double press, hold, and release.

The Aqura buttons respond immediately and are only about $18.00 US

One button can be programmed for multiple shades.

My buttons are programmed so the shades open to 55% when the Aqara button is pressed. They close all the way when the button is held for more than a second. A double press opens the blinds all the way.

Have had these for a few weeks. They are better than the remote supplied with the blind.

Aqara Wireless Mini Switch, Requires AQARA HUB, Zigbee Connection, Versatile 3-Way Control Button for Smart Home Devices, Compatible with Apple HomeKit, Works with IFTTT Aqara Wireless Mini Switch, Requires AQARA HUB, Zigbee Connection, Versatile 3-Way Control Button for Smart Home Devices, Compatible with Apple HomeKit, Works with IFTTT - - Amazon.com

Contrary to what Aqara states, this does not need the Aqara hub.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks Tom!
My new Ikea blinds worked exactly like I wanted them to last night and this morning. My wife is a very happy camper now, as these block out most of the light.
So cool! I will check out that Aqara button for sure.

@ericthomaswoodall

Eric, the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is very very important in a smart house. My wife has gradually come to the Dark Side and actively uses many of the smart devices and gets upset when something does not respond to her command.

1 Like

Ha! Same! I'm very well versed in WAF, as I'm an audio nut as well.