IFTTT now offers paid plans

That’s only the price for the 1st year

2 Likes

I do the exact same thing, and I'm pretty sure that's all I have on IFTTT anymore. I think three free three self-created applets might work for my purposes, but instead of $23.88/yr (or the $4-10/mo that I see advertised, with $10/mo apparently being their long-term plan), I think it might make more sense for me to just buy a $20 motion sensor once and use it for years to come. :slight_smile: (Plus: faster and no cloud.)

2 Likes

I rely on IFTTT for the Ring integration I use.
One thing I've been thinking about is seeing if I (or someone else better at coding) could modify the Ring Camera Device Drivers to be more like momentary switches to migrate over to Alexa Routines for the same purpose.

This change from IFTTT might just be the instigation I needed.

1 Like

I really think they need to perhaps make some tiered options.

3 for free is not much, but give me 10 atleast for $10 a year perhaps.

My issue is i want to do as much as possible without needing apps. right now, I have had to strip down my apps to if I get home, it triggers my Broadlink. and a notification of low water in my humidifer (wemo)

i dont have a ton, dont need unlimited.

IFTTT ran off all the big fish with their ridiculous pricing scheme and now they are trying to stay alive by charging users. No thanks.

1 Like

Buy a cheap $20 Android phone w/out data and pay $4.00 for Tasker.

I actually think that as IFTTT is the defacto reference in this area (not necessarily the best) their approach of a highish charge to the manufacturer for providing the integration and a nil cost to users was a good model as users bought into IFTTT meaning the manufacturers were somewhat obligated. They could have introduced a usage uptake cost to encourage smaller companies to still offer their integrations. Maybe they do, I don't know.

A premium home user wanting 'speed / fuller features' might happily pay a small fee but not $10 a month. Maybe again a user cost based on usage would work better - or throttling so that light users get a full service result for free.

Saw that today. I wonder when the 3 app max will be enforced. I have multiple apps that trigger events when my Roomba starts/stops, Blink camera events/arming. Essentially anything that I can’t do in Hubitat or Alexa Routine. So far everything is working. Will they let your already created apps run? Or will you have to pic 3? Little confusing.

Do it locally and just get rid if IFTTT. Blue Iris for Blink, iRobot Scheduler for Roomba.

1 Like

I have a Ring doorbell and hosted my own HA instance instead of using IFTTT to keep things local

3 Likes

Meaning Home Assistant?

Been a ST user since April 2017. Checked out iFTTT but never had a use for it. Switched to HE a few months ago and still don’t have a use for it.

I didn't think the Ring would even stream before it had been through the Ring cloud?

I've never really used IFTTT in a big way or for anything significant in my setup. I mostly played around with it a few years ago when I started setting up my lights and was using Stringify (pre HE for me).

I'd expect the proposition for any significant cost for IFTTT, either for an individual consumer or a IoT company would be a hard sell nowadays. For consumers there are so many products that do not require IFTTT or there are more feature rich alternatives for integration like HE. So spending any money for a small number of integrations would force most people to consider an alternative. It would be a similar story for smart home businesses, so many customers would be using more feature rich and readily available platforms like Google, Amazon Alexa, HE, etc, so I would expect there would come a point where a decision has to be made about the likelihood of a customer choosing or needing to choose IFTTT over the competition, so the investment in IFTTT development would not yield much of a return.

All that said, I probably had devices and things like presence in mind when writing the comments above. I guess the part IFTTT could and probably do play are triggers from web based systems, e.g. triggers on the stock market, new or updated articles of various forums or news sites, etc

1 Like

What's the betting that the bank payment is faster than IFTTT

7 Likes

That's no longer supported and requires a Pi doesn't it?

One of the reasons I bought a Hubitat was to get away from these cloud models that keep flopping and Covid-19 is just putting the nail in the coffin for many of them.

I've been pretty good but I have notices through IFTTT for when my bots were cleaning as well has when the MyQ opener opens and closes garage door. For now I just bought another Samsung multi purpose sensor to tell me when garage door is open or closed but I'm still dependent on using IFTTT to close the door. Guess I'm going to have to invest in a zigbee or z-wave opener or go with the user developed controller for MyQ. As for the iRobots I could slap multi sensors on them to to detect movement and use the magnet sensor probably.

1 Like

Perfect examples of the point I was trying to make earlier..

I realize that integrating products through IFTTT's cloud service isn't the first choice for Hubitat owners but in a growing number of cases companies are only making their API's available through IFTTT; which leaves people with no other choice. Earlier this week IFTTT announced a new subscription service, IFTTT Pro. Unfortunately, because of the way IFTTT has tiered their services I believe that almost anyone who uses IFTTT for smart home integration will be forced into the Pro tier at a cost of $120 per year.

I've written about this in a new Residential Tech Today Magazine article that can be found here:

https://restechtoday.com/ifttt-smart-home-integration-ifttt-pro/

Thanks

1 Like

Disagree there 100%. Given that, I would choose not to purchase that device. And if I had one in which that was the case - I would replace it. $120/yr for IFTTT is ridiculous.

2 Likes

:+1:

$120 buys you a Hubitat after the first year. Or a Raspberry Pi and a couple replacement devices that are Zigbee or Zwave. Or a whole lot of replacement devices that are standard protocols.

If you stretch that fee out to 5 years, that $600 could have purchased a LOT of new and updated and cool gear.

4 Likes