IFTTT - Is anyone still using it?

I just visited my IFTTT account for the first time in over a year. It wasn't really doing anything. I restarted some LIFX integrations just for fun. I have the Hubitat IFTTT app installed but I can't figure out why I need it now. What are you using IFTTT for at this point - not necessarily just with Hubitat?

1 Like

I still use Hubitat <-> IFTTT <-> Wyze to Turn On/ Turn Off some Wyze cameras around the house based on whether or not we are at home. I don't pay for IFTTT, and probably never will. Thus, I am restricted to just a couple of IFTTT automations. It has worked well for years now, and thus I don't have any plans to change it.

3 Likes

I was using that also. Did you know Wyze added automations to thier own app? I use the built in geofence on the Wyze app now to disable alerts when I am home. I don't use IFTTT for anything anymore.

3 Likes

Yes, I am aware of Wyze's geofencing/automations. However, since IFTTT has been working so far, I have had no reason to try Wyze's new features. I prefer having Hubitat control things, versus depending on Wyze to 'get it right' every time. Wyze has had too many screw ups for me to trust their automations at this time. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah now I see you are using the presence from HE so that makes sense. I don't know if IFTTT has presence or what I was doing with it exactly before but I was never using presence from HE, otherwise I probably would have stuck with that like you did. It does work pretty good from the Wyze app, occasionally the alerts get stuck On after I come home but there is an icon in the app to just tap I'm Home to fix it.

1 Like

I use IFTTT mainly for communicating with Arlo cameras. IFTTT invokes methods on a private virtual driver for each camera. Then I automate in HE around motion and audio, as well as arm/disarm them.

2 Likes

A theme here.
I use IFTTT to activate virtual switches from my Blink cameras so I can detect motion

1 Like

Was flaky at best for me, so switched over to Alexa for Blink.

Only thing I still use IFTTT for is to call my phone when the alarm system is triggered. Would like to find an alternative.

Nope.

1 Like

And to tell you the truth, I don't even remember why I did in the first place.

3 Likes

Same.

IFTTT is so limited on the free accounts, and I strive to keep everything I can local control, specifically within Hubitat.

Haven’t had to use IFTTT for a few years.

1 Like

I use Twilio for this. If you don’t use texting, phone calling is still reasonable

2 Likes

I found it too unreliable (operation and latency) that I found solutions to eliminate it. No longer needed and glad to be rid of it.

1 Like

I started using IFTTT when it first came out. Then I found the Stringify app and thought I'd entered home automation heaven. Then Comcast purchased Stringify and shuttered it (which I'm still sad about). After IFTTT started charging for the service, I ditched it. Was about a year later that I discovered Node-Red and Hubitat and realized I could have a much more powerful version of the Stringify/IFTTT combo.

2 Likes

I still use IFTTT but just for social media stuff. Auto-posting my blog to different platforms, notifications on keyword-tagged RSS posts, etc. I haven't used it for home automation since around the time I got my HE in 2021.

I did not know this.

I used it for years but the moment they announced the paid version and stripped me down to only 3 free automations I said screw that noise and canceled and never used IFTTT again.

5 Likes

@ogiewon My use is a little different, Dan. I use the free IFTTT service to have motion detected by remote Wyze cams turn on virtual Hubitat switches in order to keep an eye on two elderly relatives who live on their own. Using a custom little app that @bravenel was kind enough to write for me back in 2015 (still SmartThings days) if motion isn't detected (Hubitat virtual switch doesn't turn on) within specific two hour duration periods I am notified. Works brilliantly. Thanks again Bruce!

Bob

2 Likes

I was using it to set modes on my Arlo cameras based on HE presence. (People complain about HE's presence.... they should try the eternal Arlo Presence Beta)

I finally replaced Arlo, since they were the worst service I had ever had in terms of customer service and functionality. (Nothing like getting an alert and the only thing recorded was the delivery vehicle LEAVING the driveway.) So, now I just keep my IFTTT account open in case I need again. But, I just have the free version.